The Official Garmin 62 and 78 Thread

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Emmbeedee, Sep 7, 2010.

1. jules083

jules083 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So my 78 has apparently lost its citynav. I was in the middle of a trip and running on AA batteries when, after a gas stop, most of the roads disappeared and it stopped routing. I'm home now but can't seem to find my CityNav DVD. Am I screwed? Any ideas?

Kind of hate to re-buy CityNav, especially on an older GPS like this one. Works fine otherwise though.
  2. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Have you tried a factory reset on the 78?

Here's how:

To perform a master reset:

1. Ensure the device is powered off
    2. Press and hold Page and Enter simultaneously
    3. Power on the GPS while continue to press both buttons
      • NOTE: Immediately release the power button once the GPS powers on
    4. Release on the buttons once the Do you really want to erase all user data? message appears
    5. Select Yes
    The GPSMAP 78, 78s, or 78sc is now reset. You will want to leave the device outside with a clear view of the sky for a minimum of 20 minutes to acquire satellite data.

*User data consists of waypoints, routes, tracks, and geocaches

Garmin 78 Reset page
  3. jules083

Oddometer:
    Didn't work.

It still doesn't have CityNav, but the waypoints, routes, and tracks seems to be all still on the unit.

I tried to make it route to a point, it gives me a straight line.
  4. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Have you connected it to a computer yet? I'd do that, and download\install\run Javawa Device Manager on it to see if it finds errors, and can possibly fix them.
  5. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is CNNA still listed on the GPS's map setup page and enabled?
    Does BaseCamp read CNNA from the GPS?

Might try reseating the chip.

Bruce
    NomadCape2 likes this.
  6. jules083

Oddometer:
    Just tried Javawa. It said that city nav is installed, but there is no map inside the file.

It's enabled but the GPS won't read it.

What do you mean by reseat the chip? I'm not using a memory card if that's what you mean.

I'm about ready to throw this thing in the crick. What's the lifespan on one of these things? Maybe the circuit board has had enough with the vibrations and threw in the towel? 4 years, 40-50k miles since I bought it.
  7. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    After reading many of these stories about Downloading Maps, I went with purchasing City Nav map on a memory stick (Memory chip, Micro SD Card). Stick it in and go, If there is a question, just stick the chip in another unit to test.
  8. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^ I don't understand. Can you plug a memory stick into these units? I would have thought you would have to transfer the maps to an SD card. Maybe there is a terminology problem here or I am just ignorant of the capabilities of the 62 and 78.
  9. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    They take microSD. I'm guessing that Countdown meant to type "memory card" rather than "memory stick".
    SnowMule likes this.
  10. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would call Garmin and explain the issue, see what they have to say.
    If you registered the unit and map with Garmin I don't see why it would be a problem for them to authorize a download. Get a 4 or 8 gig micro SD, and install to the chip and computer. If you never registered the unit or maps then it's on you not Garmin, but they may still work with you. Call and wait, don't email and the 78 is also a marine unit so using that option will likely reduce the wait dramatically.

As a last resort ask about an out-of-warranty repair. Often for a reasonable amount they will sell a refurbished unit (always like new in my experience) and give you a free CN download.

Bruce
    SnowMule likes this.
  11. highcountrymoto

highcountrymoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alright - I bought the cycoactive hardwire kit and am getting it assembled. One question: The brown and white wires within the large cable bundle are unused and currently just hanging around after getting the pos and neg wires assembled with the inline fuse and ring terminals. What am I supposed to do with these remaining wires? Just tie them up out of the way? Cut them off flush with the end of the large black cable housing?
  12. highcountrymoto

Oddometer:
    Here's what I'm working with
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are the serial port to GPS which no one uses since it has a USB port.
    Do what ever you want with the unused wires. I would cut them short at different lengths and tape over them.
    SnowMule and highcountrymoto like this.
  14. highcountrymoto

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. gjn201

gjn201 Wannabe Ranulph

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I've got a software update notification that I can't get rid off, any ideas? Garmin express says it's up to date. 4.3.

G.
  16. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which GPS model?
    So you are receiving the software update notification where? On your computer with GPS connected, on the GPS itself?
    I don't remember ever seeing such a notification on the unit itself and not sure how the unit would even know w/o being connected to the internet.

Bruce
  17. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I keep getting phone calls I can't understand from people in India, bet your problem is not as annoying as that!
  18. gjn201

gjn201 Wannabe Ranulph

Oddometer:
    Gpsmap 64 . Found the problem, I had to delete the message in the garmin connect app as it kept sending it to the GPS.
  19. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Ah, the 64 has that unique feature most of us have never seen on our older units.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
  20. ChrisP11

ChrisP11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got a Garmin 62 , that I purchased the TOPO download for. It was downloaded from my PC to a mini SD drive, and now resides on my 62. Due to the hardwire issue, I am looking to buy a Garmin 78 for a future TAT trip, but after contacting Garmin, they are telling me my TOPO download will only work on my 62, and I cannot move it over to a new 78? Does this sound right to you guys? Any suggestions?