The Official Garmin 62 and 78 Thread

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Emmbeedee, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Reno9108

Reno9108 '02 1150 GSA

Oddometer:
    Yes... welcome to the world of Garmin.

If there is a way around it (I don't think there is) this will be the place to find it. Some very knowledgable inmates here.

If you do move on to another GPS, I'm sorry for your loss. If not, batteries, batteries, batteries.
  2. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, recent versions of TOPO are locked to the unit. Not sure of the nature of your hardware trouble, but if it was terminal for the 62 Garmin might be willing to transfer any locked map set to the new unit if you can prove to them the old unit is no longer serviceable.

If the problem is how to power I agree with Reno, batteries are cheap and readably available. Another option is to sell the 62 with topo loaded for extra value and start over. In my experience the stand alone TOPO is better than the preloaded (as in 62T).

Bruce
  3. ChrisP11

ChrisP11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll tell you what, Garmin does not make it very easy. I have been emailing back and forth with them for a week. All about the difference between DVDs, SD downloads and site downloads.

No the Garmin 62 is still working fine, but for my TAT trip, I would like a GPS I can keep on at all times. With my 62, even if I only use it sporadically, it eats a pair of batteries in a days time.

If I have to re-purchase maps, what is the best option to make sure I don't run into this again? After looking at Garmin's website, many maps are only available as downloads
  4. Reno9108

Reno9108 '02 1150 GSA

Oddometer:
    If you have to re-purchase maps?

Addressing this from my POV with the 78. I you are going to purchase the 78 I would purchase only the "City Navigator North America" map. I have it and there isn't anywhere I can't ride. I have done a couple of weeks riding in Nevada, Idaho, Montana, and Arizona; there wasn't anywhere that I couldn't map ahead of time. I also purchased TOPO maps for the western US and have never needed/used them.

If you are going to keep the 62 the answer would still be the same; CNNA.

If I remember the 62 the charge port is under a flappy at the top of the unit? One idea is to hardwire your unit to your bike and use a judicious amount of silicone (bathroom tile) sealant at the power plug being careful to stay out o the antenna port. This would give your mini USB plug more support and make it water resistant at the same time. This would be a semi perm solution and would have to stay on your bike for the entire TAT but the silicone is soft enough to peel away when you are done. just a thought
  5. Reno9108

Reno9108 '02 1150 GSA

Oddometer:
    ...rechargeable batteries hardwired, spare set or 2, charge in your tank bag while you are riding?

a broken USB port on your 62 is worse than a broken port on a battery charger
  6. ChrisP11

ChrisP11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I hook my 62 up via the USB, all I see is the screen with the USB symbol (almost like a charging screen) The unit is not usable at all. Am I missing something?

As for the CNNA, thanks for the update. My plan (if Garmin will not work with me) is to buy a 78 and the CNNA on an SD card. I assume if I purchase the TAT from KevinGPS, I would just insert his SD card and off I go?
  7. Reno9108

Reno9108 '02 1150 GSA

Oddometer:
    I know very little about the 62 and don't know if you can power and navigate (I'm pretty sure you can't "charge/re-charge" while navigating (I will be corrected if I'm wrong)

And as far as your last statement is concerned, It was my understanding that any maps (garmin) downloaded or SD card are tied only to one GPS.

So I think what you are saying is, you are buying a 78 from anywhere, and buying the CNNA on an SD card from garmin, then also buying the TAT on an SD from KevinGPS. This is somewhat limiting as the storage on the garmin SD is 2.5 gig and the internal storage in the 78 is ???1.5 gig???

Here is what I did; buy the 78, buy a 32 gig SD card and download (from garmin) CNNA. This gives you a lot of space to store anything you want on the SD card (not just maps, routes, tracks, but pictures, movies, manuals).

What program would you use to get KevinGPS onto your device?
  8. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might try to buy a used older version of Topo 100k on Ebay or something. I am still using the discs I bought in ~1999 and am on my third different GPS unit with them.

I like having these maps available mainly for trip planning but occasionally also on the GPS unit.
  9. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    As to th 62 screen when plugged in, I haven't followed your issue but I know late model Garmin units switch mode depending on the USB cable used. Try switching the cable to the one that came with the unit and/or if that dosen't work try a standard USB camera/accessory cable. I'm getting old and can't remember which one forces the unit into hard drive mode vs just external GPS/power mode which is what you want.

Buying the mapset on SD is the way to be able to transfer 1 map between units. The Garmin SD maps are not updatable if that is important to you and you will have to live with the remaining unit internal memory for all else. Shouldn't be a problem unless later you want to install a large area of TOPO, most GPX files are small. I'm pretty sure the Garmin SD cannot be copied to/from.

I don't know what/how the TAT is sold but if it does come on an SD I think you should be able to save the data in BaseCamp and then transfer to the GPS internal memory. You can probably do this with "File Explorer" (MS PC) if you know where the files need to reside.

It is possible that Sam is selling a transparent map layer made with GPS2IMG or similar, but even so there should be space on unit memory.

I have found Garmin CS phone support to be quite good after the wait, better then emails. One other advantage of the 78 that I don't see mentioned is that it is considered a marine unit and the CS phone wait times are almost non existent for that department.

Bruce
  10. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes the 62 is a POS with no 12 V power.

Get a 78, a hardwire cable from Cycoactive and City Nav (much better than Topo) on a chip so you can use it in either unit and be done with it. Roads don't change enough in 10 years to worry about updates.
    Reno9108 likes this.
  11. Reno9108

Reno9108 '02 1150 GSA

Oddometer:
    Countdown, does this mean the SD card from garmin is purchased it can be transferred from device to device or is it locked to a device?
  12. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you buy the maps on the microSD card they ARE locked to the card. The card can be used in any* Garmin GPS that accepts those cards.

*knowing GARMIN there will be some that won't work

from mcnut's post a few up:
    "Buying the mapset on SD is the way to be able to transfer 1 map between units. The Garmin SD maps are not updatable if that is important to you and you will have to live with the remaining unit internal memory for all else. Shouldn't be a problem unless later you want to install a large area of TOPO, most GPX files are small. I'm pretty sure the Garmin SD cannot be copied to/from."
  13. ChrisP11

ChrisP11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Countdown, that appears exactly where I'm headed.
  14. 805AT

805AT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 78 marine. Can I use it off-road and hard wire ?
  15. highcountrymoto

highcountrymoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the base model 78 with City Navigator North America maps on SD card, hardwired to my battery with the cycoactive kit, and using the dedicated GPSMap78 RAM mount. Just got back from a 25 day trip from NC out to CO and back to do the COBDR. Had the COBDR and TAT tracks loaded into the GPS and was very happy with how it performed overall. On a few occasions, it would shut off randomly when trying to load the next track, but would work fine after turning it back on.
  16. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your Tracks were not all loaded before the start? The beauty of 78 is you can display 200 Tracks at one time.
  17. highcountrymoto

highcountrymoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They were loaded on the unit, but not all displayed at one time. It would have trouble sometimes when I selected "show on map".
  18. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a "new one".

Your problem should not have happened however why not turn on all tracks at the start? If there were groups of Tracks that conflict, I put a gpx file for each in the archive folder, then make favorite the one I want to use first, then turn them all on.
  19. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    If anyone's interested, I am selling my 78S. $150 Canadian, + shipping at cost. I bought an eTrex Touch 35 for handheld use. I can include a short SAE to 5 pin Garmin connector as well.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  20. Reno9108

Reno9108 '02 1150 GSA

Oddometer:
    pm sent
    blackjackdavey likes this.