The Official Garmin 62 and 78 Thread

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Emmbeedee, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Reno9108

Reno9108 '02 1150 GSA

Oddometer:
    Ill take it
  2. jules083

jules083 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Question for the experts here.

Went on 2 trips this year, had issues on both. First was this spring. Shut the GPS off, turned it back on, and City Nav was gone. Ended up getting home and still not being able to delete it, so I added a memory card and re-loaded it.

Next time it just quit routing. I disabled the map then re-abled it, all was well. A few days later the GPS quit turning on. I did a 'factory reset' and now it's working again.

This is all and good now that it's working again, and luckily every issue was basically when the 'ride' was over and I was making my way home. I was thinking though, it would have royally sucked to loose my tracks in the middle of a trip.

Think these were just a few isolated incidents, or is something going wrong inside my unit? It's about 5 years old and has had it's share of miles, vibration, and poor weather.
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it were me with a heavily used 5 year old unit starting to act erratically, I would buy a new one. I would assume there are lots of connections starting to go bad.

I would recommend a Montana.

I just depend too much on the GPS for the riding to do have it be unreliable. You might keep the old one as a backup.

I always carry paper maps as a backup too.
  4. jules083

jules083 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was just looking at the montana's and starting to think the same thing. I like them a lot.

I didn't fully realize how much I depend on my GPS until I didn't have one. Used my phone yesterday, it sucked. I don't really know why people seem to like using their phones so much, I hated it.
  5. Keithag65

Keithag65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I need some help. I purchased the GPSMAP 78 and the city nav card. I made a route that works fine in my nuvi, but I can't get the turn by turn directions to work with the 78. Once I choose "Routes" and the route I want, it then just gives me the "GO" option. I hit enter and it just gives me a straight line. Like anything, it's easy once you know how, but I'm struggling a little with this. Any Ideas?
  6. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    You are using 'Direct' routing. Switch to a different profile, like 'Automotive' or go to setup\routing\Activity and set the existing profile to prompt, then choose 'automobile driving' when prompted.

Or just set it to 'Automobile Driving' and you won't need to choose each time.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
  7. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    EM above knows his stuff about Routing, I only use Tracks on 78 on bike, use Routes in Nuvi in cars.

If you ride dirt, you may find some 78 set up tips on my web site: http://www.dualsportwest.com/Gps/GpsOverview
  8. Keithag65

Keithag65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'll try that when I get home.
  9. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    this is the wrong thread to help you find the RIGHT application to use either as primary or back up to your favorite GPS device, but I'm fairly confident i could.
  10. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    Just read thru the whole thread. Some good info here, but too much mention about the power cable, USB issue (over and over). I bought a GPSMAP 64, getting to know it and BaseCamp. Has this thread morphed into becoming also the official GPSMAP 64 thread too? Isn't the 64 series basically a 62 plus? I'm curious to know what the changes are (from the 62X). I did a search, couldn't find a 64 related thread that seemed to be the "official" thread.

I installed the Cdn Topo Map Provinces (not the Territories) onto a 32 GB microSD card using MapInstall... seemed to work well enough, but I noted the 4 GB limit as I selected map sections for transfer. How does this work, can you just keep loading additional maps onto the microSD card, in sub 4GB transfers, until the storage capacity nears full? I transferred that map data onto the microSD card on the PC (not to the GPS using USB cord) ... proper/best way?
  11. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know about the 62 or 64, but here is what I know from having used a 60cx for a long time.

I think the answer is that you can sort of do what you want. But you will only be able to see one 4 GB mapset at a time. But 4GB is a lot. I think you could get all of City Navigator and all Topo 100k in that.

When you create a mapset like this, it gets stored as a file called gmapsup.img? on the SD card. This is the file the unit uses as its maps when it running. But you can load one on the SD card, rename it something else, and then create another one and load it. You can do this as many times as you want until you fill the disc. You have to rename the one you want to see at any given time to gmapsup.img. But you will probably need a computer to do this.
    GreatWhiteNorth likes this.
  12. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Thnx wbbnm. I actually got ALL of the lower provinces loaded and it was 3.8something GB file size.
  13. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    You can't compare the 60Cx to a 64 - they have totally different map capabilities. The 60 is restricted to one additional map file (gmapsupp.img) where all the mapsets need to be loaded into that file at once, or, as you say, rename different .IMG files to gmapsupp.img by using a computer. This is a major restricition, but one which no longer plagues any handheld Garmin made after the 60/76 series.

The 62/64/Montana/Etrex 10/20/30/Touch and the rest are able to access multiple individual .IMG files so if one of your maps is updated, you don't need to reload all your maps again. Only the changed one needs updating.

And the actual map limit is on mapping segment numbers, not file size, though a 4Gb map would be a huge one. In fact I have not heard of any mapset which was 4Gb in size.

Here's the mapping segments limit for the 64 series: (Full Specs Here)

• Approximately 3,000 mapping segments**
  14. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    There was a thread on the 64 but it's dormant.

Is yours a plain 64 or an S variant?

The reason I ask is that the plain 64 omits the Smart Notifications and Live Tracking, two really useful features if you have a smartphone.
  15. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Just a base model 64... from gpscity.ca. Should have bought a 78 I guess, and they're cheaper too. I want to do sections of the TCAT, got the file from graveltravel.ca. I have it loaded, figured out how to display the whole track, or by province or section. I'm impressed! I've used cheap automotive Garmin GPS units (have a Nuvi 50), but of course you can't upload and follow a track on the cheaper units. Zumo 660 would be ideal, but waaay to expensive.
  16. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    The only difference in the 78 is the power cable, but that's a big advantage.

Should've bought a Montana, even an older used one. But I'm sure your 64 will prove useful with Ted's TCAT file.
  17. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for straightening me out on the map capabilities on the post 60 devices. I will try to remember next time I feel like showing off my wisdom.

I checked some file sizes of mapsets on my Montana. City Navigator is about 2.5 GB, Topo 24k Southwest is about 1.5 GB and the Topo 100k I have are about 1 GB. So a 4 GB limit could be a bit inconvenient.
  18. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    4 Gb is a file size limitation, not a map limitation. So if you created one file, it could not be more than 4 Gb, but if the maps are fewer than 3000 segments, but in multiple files, you have no problem.
  19. thewozza

thewozza Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 78s and it sometimes does a complete reset when I turn it off and on again.

Usually this happens when power is lost and it asks if I want it to turn off or stay on.

When the reset happens, it'll boot up next time asking what language I want and I have to go back in and tell it what tracks I want showing. It's a pain, so much so that I've been telling to stay on if power is lost.

Any advice?
  20. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tried a full reset? Wipe everything, nuclear option, and restore from backups.

Swap the microSD card for a new one. They don't last forever, and weird shit happens when they start to go.

If its a deeper hardware issue ..... good luck.