The Official Honda CRF250R/CRF250X Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by nuggets, Jan 26, 2014.

1. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So fast forward to the day I first tried to fire up the beast. Notice that I did not mention me replacing the o-ring that seals the pick up tube fitting to the tank underside. Thts because I totally omitted it. Yep, I put the tank on the bike, connected fuel line and petcock, poured in a liter or so and it immediately began pouring out around the unsealed fitting and onto the top end. Nice. Of. Purse starting it then would have probably looked interesting and fire-ish. Hilarious. I wen to the parts diagram and realized that the OEM parts fitting comes with the pickup tube filter, and the fitting but NOT the Oring. What? RMATVMC to the rescue again. Good thing they ship from Lexington KY
  2. crazed98camaro

crazed98camaro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like this thread has picked up a bit. Good to see.

I rode 160 trail miles over 2 days at the Hatfield McCoy trails in Gilbert, WV. The rockhouse trail system really lives up to its name, but the X made good work of it. This bike is a thrill to ride.

[​IMG]
    Bultaco206 and scout68 like this.
  3. Fluke

Fluke Need to get back to dirt

Oddometer:
    I'll be taking it on some single track when my skid plate gets here. I'll have to learn some better clutch work as it doesn't pop up as easily as my 300 does . Have to wait till August till the new leak jet gets here, might be part of the issue . Really looking forward to seeing what this thing can do . Were you the only bike on the trip?
  4. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

That’s great to hear crazy98, I’ve never actually ridden the thing. My riding buddies are all orange plastic guys with way too much spare change to spend on suspension, rekluse clutches, EFI trickery.....I’m just hoping to learn some solid single track skills and get better and better. Sounds like this bike will fit the bill
  5. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brakes seem important to really go through on an older bike that’s been sitting....so both calipers and masters got a tear down/all balls rebuild kits. Had to replace some of the OEM parts for the rear master plunger.....threw a little bling on the back cable .......

D2E56F05-1898-4CE9-B6C1-F2F10C6D3F39.jpeg

890A6A3D-A3AC-4FD5-80DB-DDF069A01FF2.jpeg

1E301D96-257E-4030-9739-2F6ADA74DE70.jpeg

New pads all around , and had to get schooled on the difference between ceramic brake parts grease and the general waterproof stuff.

Also, one of the front caliper pistons looked like my Labrador had been chewing on it as a toy....tried bugging out but the etching seemed too deep to risk. New pistons in the front. Rear was just fine.

Lesson learned (for any other noobs reading this).....when you have the caliper removed from the bike and you need to remove the pistons for inspection...and you watch a video about simply shooting some compressed air through the bleed orifice to push out the pistons......get your fingers THE HELL out of the way......I wasn’t listening close enough when the gu y in the video said “ wrap a screw driver shaft in a shop rag and place in the brake pad trench in order to retard the rocket launch of the pistons.” Compressed air is way more potentially dangerous than I gave it credit for. Amazing.
    Fluke likes this.
  6. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So then to wrap it up quickly...
    I was amazed at how quickly the reassembly goes .... service manual open to the torque spec pages....at the recommendation of my mechanic friend I resisted using any impact drills on this. He wanted me learning what exactly torque meant and felt like. I think that was good advice for a noob like me. I broke one bolt off....cam chain tensioner mounting bolt...strange as the other one torqued just fine. Bad bolt ?

54BC4983-0325-4161-8D83-1786441511EA.jpeg

And as she sits today.....

C8CBEE04-1536-46D4-9B04-109426BE886C.jpeg B0C8C946-3B00-485A-B002-AFDAD23BCF2B.jpeg

I’ve got an fmf waiting to go on....stuck the OEm pipe on for the first start while I’m waiting for an adaptor to come in the mail.

Just got the power bowl in the mail today, with adjust le leak jet. Looking forward to buttoning this up and seeing how she rides.

New chain and primary drive and we are good to go. Will update.

Any constructive criticism would be much appreciated....
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  7. Fluke

Oddometer:
    Damn Scout. That's how to rebuild a bike. Very inspiring . I haven't heard of the power bowl mod . I just rejetted and threw a high compression Vertex piston in mine. I need to flush the brakes as well. The front brakes didn't seem to want to stop when I took her for a RIP on the track . Keep the pictures coming it looks great.
    scout68 likes this.
  8. crazed98camaro

crazed98camaro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I had 9 buddies with me who were all on quads. The trails are definitely more suited towards ATV/SxS but they do have some single track too. Some went out and scouted the trails before I got there and were worried about me...I showed them!

The bike should do great for you, especially with how much time and effort you are putting in the bike it will definitely pay off. This is my first real dirt bike I've been able to get some decent seat time on and it's be a hell of a lot of fun.
    scout68 likes this.
  9. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks brother. Like you said, I’ve learned a pile. Don’t tel my dear wife but I’m gonna do this again. But I gotta get my shop sorted a little better this time.
    Love the look of yalls bikes

BTw, you may already be aware of Bikemaster, but since i have 5 dirtbikes for the kids, and I primarily ride a KLR commuting, I had looked into a Mityvac brake bleeder as I’m fanatical about flushing (not just changing) the fluid regularly. The MV unit seems to be plush but then I realized how much flow they need from the compressor tank in order to sustain the vacuum and I was forced to look elsewhere for now. My little pancake compressor can generate the pressure needed, just not the flow. I bought a bike master brake bleeder, which can maintain he vacuum needed in a much lower flow rate from the compressor.

Pics to follow.
  10. Fluke

Oddometer:
    I have purchased brake bleeders before and have had them all fail or just plain suck. Haven't found one that actually worked. Havent tried the brands you mentioned mind you. I just bought a syringe from Princess Auto and use that to pull fluid through. Not sure what I hate more, bleeding brakes or changing tires. I wanted my X to be up and running for around $1000 including the price of the bike . Straighten out the bend bars to keep around my budget. I'm sitting at $1200 for mine with a completely rebuilt topend, valves, cut, guides , springs, seats, timing chain, manual tensioner , jets and vertex piston. She fires first kick when cold and well worth the effort. I have a Beta 300rr as my main go to single track weapon, but I think this bike will make me a better rider in the end, though it is my back up/ loaner bike.
    scout68 likes this.
  11. bearcat1

bearcat1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This thread needs a bump:
    20190629_102648.jpg
    The X in it's natural environment. What a fun bike, this was my 3rd ride after getting the bike put back together. It runs great and got the suspension dialed in to my liking. Eight years ago I stopped riding dirt and was primarily focused on the 400/450/525 KTM RFS bikes. I didn't know what I was missing in the 250 class bikes.

On a side note my old Fox Forma Pro boots bit the dust today. What a shame they were just getting broke in when I threw them in storage years ago. Not one but both boots had the ankle buckles let go today. Time for some new boots, there's no fixing these. It probably happened after stomping around in the brush trying to find a way around some downfall.
    20190629_123734.jpg
    enduro16, scout68 and Bultaco206 like this.
  12. Fluke

Oddometer:
    It's been pouring rain here for the last three days. Planning on riding tomorrow and I think I'll grab the X . I had a pair of Tech 3s before my Crossfire2s and the tech 3 buckles might as well been broken since I bought them . Decent boot with the worse buckle design . Such a pita to unclip the buckle .Nice to see these bikes getting ridden . If I grab it tomorrow it's going to be such a muddy mess.
  13. Fluke

Oddometer:
    Took the X out for a rip on some quad trails . Wanted to do some single track but a guy that joined us had about 1 hr of dirt riding under his belt, so had to keep it light. What a blast of a bike . Only issue was the kick starter would only engage for about half a stroke then disengage from turning the motor over. Really annoying when getting eaten alive by mosquitos. Far better bike than I thought it would be. Now I have to tune my Beta suspension to handle whoops as easily as this thing does. 20190707_210120.jpg
    bearcat1, scout68 and Bultaco206 like this.
  14. Fluke

Oddometer:
    Tried to teach a 63 year old coworker the basics of motorcycle riding . This was done during a find the engagement point on the clutch exercise . Cracked the throttle bike launched forward , he pulled the clutch in and applied brakes. So far so good. Then he released the brakes, pinned the motor to redline panicked and to hang on to the bars better and in slow motion horror he dropped the clutch. I think everyone seen , on YouTube 100 times ,what happened next . This thing sure can launch . About those two pieces of plastic cost about $140 so I ordered the whole kit. That Vance and Hines exhaust is quite loud, so I think I'm not going to use this bike to teach people how to ride .

Attached Files:

bearcat1 likes this.
  15. bearcat1

bearcat1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ride #7 on the X today. This bike has been a pleasant surprise. Initially I purchased it in a near parts bike status, after the triage I spent the money on things it really needed. I should have just purchased the entire plastic kit because the engine in this thing has been solid and proven itself after all these rides. I find myself wanting to buy some new radiators, even though the old tweaked ones work fine. We'll see, I've got a wandering eye back towards a Euro machine. So far the re-entry to dirt riding has been excellent.

I did get a chance to ride an 09 KTM 250 SXF, which actually worked nice on the trails, just more aggresive. That made me a little goo goo eyed being a former orange rider. But there's just something special about the X that I really like. Perhaps it was all the fun loving this thing back into a reliable trail machine, she's a little rough cosmetically, but mechanically solid. It has opened my eyes to the merits of the 250 class bikes, especially so being in my mid 50's now.

Gilbert trying out the new helmet. All of my old gear is in a time capsule. I ordered a new helmet after noticing the made in Oct 2004 sticker on the old one! 20190717_193016.jpg
    Fluke and Bultaco206 like this.
  16. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ABEB1633-49C5-4391-8B59-ABF94A0DDE08.jpeg Ok boys. FINaLLY got my X sorted. The trail tech fan works very well...it’s 92 here today and never had trouble despite being in some tight woods...... Took a little extra tweaking to get the carb tuned just right, but it’s dialed in and a blast. I put an R and D PowerBowl with adjustable leak jet, opened the air box to the “closed track cut out line,” and went to a 165 main jet and completely unrestricted exhaust. Flame arrester can be skipped in whenever needed.

Rode with my son and daughters today and the bike simply is a total blast. Trails and gravel with the kids on their XR’s , then single track on the X. I can’t say enough good things about this bike.

Regarding the radiators, I did replace the stocks....happy to give details if anybody is interested....

C9BB3609-98E1-4F0D-9DA2-22DD298924E5.jpeg

F303BF6A-85B4-411D-A413-E86768FDC673.jpeg

Totally happy with the result of this rebuild. I think I could ride this one for a long time.
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  17. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had mine listed for sale since I never ride it. But I spent the weekend on it and decided it works too well to give it away. It’s worth keeping for the few times it will get ridden. Very underrated bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    enduro16, scout68 and dave0 like this.
  18. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Bultaco,
    agreed. my adult riding buddies are all KTM guys....and they spend a LOT of cash on their bikes....the whole time I was building this thing I was thinking, "well, at least I can ride the gravel Fram roads...." thinking that I could never keep up with the big boys....I was wrong. At Dakar , yeah , they'd kick my ass. But in tight woods single track and two track, this thing is a surprisingly agile and fun bike.

BTW, which wolfman bags are you running? ...I really dig those
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  19. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, agreed. I have a 450L and I figured that would make the little X obsolete. The 450 is a lot of bike in the tight stuff. But fresh off spending two days on the 250X in various levels of singletrack made my mind up for me. It’s worth keeping.

Pictured are the Daytripper bags. They’re just the right size for tools, first aid kit, splint material, folding saw, a small compressor, and a water/drink bottle. (I carry a lot of stuff.)
    scout68 likes this.
  20. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bultaco,
    Wolfman day trippers are on backorder, as is a bunch of their stuff....hopefully back on line soon...can I pick your brain on bars ? Which are you running ? I’ve got some second hand rox risers as the bars simply sit too low for my height

Other thoughts from this post weeknds rides....
    -my rear brake is squisshhhy. Doesn’t engage til about 1/2 through pedal stroke ....gotta sort that out.

-gotta fins some updated rad guards, (not braces) as I ripped one off on some stubborn skinny tree seedlings. Somehow got between the shroud and frame and did it’s evil work.

-my 10 year old jumped off his crf110f and onto his sisters 2002 xr100r (I love that little bike) and said “dad, I’m ready for the clutch bike.” 10 minutes later he’s riding it like he’d been on it for months. Oh to be young.

-trakmasters seem to be great off-road tired for a noob like me.

Man I really enjoy this bike so far.
    Bultaco206 likes this.