The Official Honda CRF250R/CRF250X Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by nuggets, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m an RC High fan usually. But those are the Renthal Enduro bend in the Fatbar size. They have a bit less rise than what I wanted, but I can stand with no issues. (I’m 6’) I’m not going to reinvent the wheel for a couple of millimeters.

[​IMG]
    Bitingdog and scout68 like this.
  2. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bultaco,
    I'm wanting to switch to some fatbars and put on some Rox risers....can you help talk me through this....
    The stock bar mounts on the triple clamp are 7/8's .... but I want to go to fat bars....what bar clamps did you use... ?

I find that I'm using this bike for so much more woods riding than I thought due to its light weight and tons of torque...so I'm standing up constantly and my back is killing me with the stock bar height.....

Thanks in advance...
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  3. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    The previous owner set my bike up with Flexx Bars (I ditched them) and a top-mount GPR damper/bar mount. I didn’t want to reinvent the wheel so I used the same 1 1/8” mount, leaving the damper, and just slid new bars in. I stand most of the time off-road and I’m pretty comfortable with what I’ve got.

Any 1 1/8” mounting system should suffice, I’d think.
    scout68 likes this.
  4. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the help...makes good sense. Amazing how fast you always get back...

I'm deliberating going to a hydraulic clutch as I really would love to have a Clake lever...but ouch the price. I'm sure it's very good quality, but a little spendy for this bike class probably....on the other hand, the "class" of bike for which the price of the CLake makes sense isn't likely to be quite as low-maintenance and bulletproof as this thing either.....the 250x is such a solid little bike.
    Bitingdog and Bultaco206 like this.
  5. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    I like the feel of a cable. Never got comfortable with the lack of feel on my KTMs.
    Bitingdog, enduro16 and scout68 like this.
  6. dave0

dave0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pic from the Buffaloe 500 back in September. Put a few hours on the X this year. IMG_20190929_115622030.jpg
  7. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Crf250R - does anyone have a mangled or broken clutch basket laying around? I need one for dimensions For a CB project.
  8. seasider

seasider Just a rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am looking for one of these bikes mid east coast, low hours if anyone is contemplating selling. Thanks
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  9. dave0

dave0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Renfro Valley DS ride. Best weather so far.
    IMG_20200613_085458910.jpg

Greased the linkage in prep for the ride. Hadn't touched it in five years, with lots of sloppy riding. Bolts and rollers good and greasy. Moly60 FTW!
    bearcat1 and Bultaco206 like this.
  10. seasider

seasider Just a rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damm!!!!! First post since March!!! I am jealous and still looking for one if anyone is selling
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  11. enduro16

enduro16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    When this bike 1st came out I thought I would never own one(wasn't interested) coming from the Honda XR,s 400, 600, 650R and 650L, the new black is Orange...lol, but always liked hondas, I picked this 2009 CRF250X, last week... Pleasantly surprised... 20200618_193806.jpg 20200618_194216.jpg
    Bitingdog, bearcat1 and Bultaco206 like this.
  12. bearcat1

bearcat1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The X is a lot of bang for the buck.
  13. bearcat1

bearcat1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I almost forgot. Congrats with your new bike enduro16, enjoy!
  14. enduro16

enduro16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Through the years did they do any changes, to the valves or the heads or piston,to make these bikes more reliable ? I got an aluminum skid plate for it, but didn't get the hardware to bolt it on the aluminum frame, Does anybody have any, or know where I could get the hooks to bolt the skid plate on? because the frame is square down there, most the ones I've had, are for round frames... thanks
  15. dave0

dave0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Think 2007 they fixed the valve issue. The head is supposed to flow better too.
    Mine's an 05 with kibblewhite valves, 70+ hours so far. I try to check the clearance yearly.
  16. enduro16

enduro16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful night for a ride! Parts are Parts, I've got an old electronic speedo,cable operated from a 1985? XR350R state of art, back in the day, lol 20200624_191421.jpg 20200624_183609.jpg and put on it tonight...hadn't used it in 20 years!
  17. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    If it’s a Works Connection plate you should be able to call them and get hardware.
    enduro16 likes this.
  18. dave0

dave0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Checked the valves the other day. All ok except the right intake at 0. 165 out, 150 in and good to go. Took about 35 hrs to get there. Im guessing it'll get there quicker this time. Any recommendations on head machining? I'm in Cincinnati

Probably do the top end while in there too
  19. sacto929

sacto929 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't believe that it's taken me so long to find this thread....

I have had an '06 CRF250X since new in November 2005. It has been used exclusively off-road as a single track / woods bike, especially setting up and running enduro events in D36. It saw a lot of use over the first 4-5 years of its life (100+ hours/year), then started to sit more and more as my kids grew up and my hobbies took a back seat. At this point, it was last ridden in August 2015 or 2016. We moved from CA to AL in 2017, and it has been sitting, other than being started about once per year. The COVID situation had shutdown (until recently) my kids sports, so I set about getting the bikes running again. The BMW R1150GS is running again, so now it's time for the 250X.

Being in a free state now, I began wondering about heading in a lightweight dual sport direction. I was pointed towards a way to get a plate (https://www.supermotojunkie.com/threads/get-a-street-legal-title-and-plate-for-any-bike.144432/), have run the process and my shiny new SD plate is on the way. This has brought up questions in my mind and finally led me here.

Dual Sport Questions:
    • Electrical
      • What are folks running for lighting? I'm 99% certain that I'll be going with Baja Designs; however, I'm not sure whether I want to go with the AC system, or step up to the DC system that requires a stator rewind, etc.
      • What are you using for brake light, turn signals, etc.? I'd like something a bit sleeker than the clunky "one fits all" solutions commonly found....
      • I have discovered that I need a hardwired USB port for GPS to function properly. Has anyone done one of these on the 250X?
    • Gearing
      • What are folks running for DS gearing? I'm not planning to run hundreds of miles of interstate on this bike, but I would like to do backroads to or from adventure roads/trails at 55-65 mph without bumping off the rev limiter. I did find a thread that indicated 14/45 works well on the road, but kills climbing. I'm interested in other experiences, too.
    • Racks & Bags
      • What are folks using for a rear rack to keep weight off the fender?
      • Any particular bags that are recommended? I've seen Giant Loop, Mosko, etc. I'd like to keep this very light weight, as I already bring enough ballast around my mid section....
    • Suspension
      • This could actually fall into the maintenance category, as well. Are there any recommendations for suspension shops with expertise in these bikes that are recommended? I'm not going to race again, and really only need a service with new seals and springs, but I've always found that personal recommendations go farther than website marketing.
        • Based upon the Race Tech website, I need to go up in spring rate at both ends. I likely needed this previously, but didn't really mind it being soft. Now with the DS route, my riding gear is heavier and I may have camping gear, more fuel, etc., so it of greater importance.

Maintenance / Bring it Back to Life
    • Fuel Tank
      • As I've disassembled the bike, I've discovered why I couldn't start it this last time--the residual fuel has gelled in the petcock and tubing / interface with the tank. The filter itself is clear, but inside the piping interface is gas gel. I've scraped as much as I can reach and am soaking in SeaFoam. Are there other methods to clean this stuff out? New parts tally about $100 plus shipping.
    • Miscellaneous
      • I've got new tires, sprockets, chain, air filters, seat cover, wheel bearings, oils and filter. Is there anything else you guys can think of? I'm thinking that I should check the valves, just to verify, as it's been several years, although mostly sitting.
      • Speaking of valves, I changed out to an R head with stainless steel valves in fall of 2006. I was doing the maintenance per schedule and started noticing the bike getting hard to start and had to adjust frequently. I was midway through a family enduro in Mendocino NF and had to keep the throttle pinned to keep the bike running. I crashed in a creek crossing right before the lunch check and couldn't restart the bike, as I found out later, the valves were seized tight. Once I put on the new head, I don't recall having made an adjustment since.
    Thanks again for starting a thread dedicated to these great little bikes!
    dave0, Bitingdog and Bultaco206 like this.
  20. ozimick

ozimick destination unknown

Oddometer:
    Hello All, Does anyone know where I might find a wiring schematic for a 2007 250x ?