The Official Honda CRF250R/CRF250X Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by nuggets, Jan 26, 2014.

1. crazed98camaro

crazed98camaro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks for all the suggestions!
  2. Moose Dog

Moose Dog Mr. Nice Guy

Oddometer:
    My back yard last winter.

IMG_8498.JPG IMG_8500.JPG IMG_8501.JPG IMG_8505.JPG IMG_8517.JPG IMG_8518.JPG IMG_8519.JPG IMG_8520.JPG IMG_8521.JPG
    Bitingdog, AZ TOM, North ride and 3 others like this.
  3. bearcat1

bearcat1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20201003_104629.jpg What's better than one 250X? Two 250X's! My riding buddy's son just picked up a 2004, runs great, fires up 1st kick, he likes the happy button too. Pic near Capitol Peak in Capitol Forest.
    Yeti2ride, dave0, Bitingdog and 5 others like this.
  4. christian

christian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi ,

I am looking for the next bike for my son and considering a CRF250X 2004/05/06 ish.
    I am aware of the valve cupping issue.

My main question is regarding lowering the bike, I get a lower seat is easy - but what about lowering the suspension.
    In KTM's forks I am used to adding a spacer (HVA '15) is there an similar easy way for the 250X showa forks? Rear shock could be a lowering link.

I'd need 2 / 2.5 inch lower to transition my son from his KLX140

any advice would be great before pulling the trigger.
  5. sacto929

sacto929 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't done it myself, but here's the go-to for most M/C lowering:
    https://www.koubalinks.com/honda/crf250-450r

upload_2020-10-20_8-16-53.png
  6. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. christian

christian Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks, the rear is easy with Kouba or Soupy's link.. the fork is more the problem. Thanks for the Thumpertalk link - will review carefully!
  8. skywalker714

skywalker714 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good information , I may lower my 19 450x. I owned 2 250 x’s. I miss that bike and would love an updated model.
  9. christian

christian Long timer

Oddometer:
    To close up on lowering the new to my son 250x, I got a kit from Race tech for the front and rear. They sell spacers.
    For the fork you need to lathe the groove for the spring "stop" -- that's done now.
    This weekend I'm working on the rear shock. I'm going 2" lower.

Side question, the front brake is really grabby. -- ie hard to pull -- I greased the lever already. Doing the flush this weekend as well but I'm wondering if with age I should do more.
    Also what are the softest pads / strongest braking power? I don't care about longevity and care more about stopping -- My son has small fingers and he needs any help he can get braking without much force to the lever.
    thx!
  10. DK Dan

DK Dan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I went to check out a used 2010 CRF 250 X but I suspect that it was a modified CRF 250 R.

- First of all it had only kick start and no electric starter.
    - Secondly the air filter was accessed by removing the seat whereas I understand that the CRF 250 X has easy air filter access by opening one of the side covers.
    - Third thing that looked suspicious was the hack wiring job for the headlight done recently with cheapo crimp connectors that rubbed against the head tube.

So either the seller is not honest or I wrong in the above.

Can any of you CRF 250 X owners confirm my suspicion or correct me if I'm wrong?
  11. Slideways#96

Slideways#96 scooter trash

Oddometer:
    Sounds suspect to me. I'd likely walk away from that one. I have an 04 crf250x with none of the issues you mention. Great little bikes but Im doing more ds stuff these days on an xr650l. May end up selling the crf cause it just doesnt get ridden.
  12. dave0

dave0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I concur. A VIN lookup would let you know for sure.
  13. DK Dan

DK Dan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys!
    I'm quite sure the seller is not being honest. He recently bought the bike in Sweden in order to try and sell it in Denmark.
    Details like a missing hour counter and him saying that I should just trust him that it only had 60 running hours in it's 10 year life. Furthermore he became quite unpleasant when I started questioning the bike. I walked away and sincerely hope that other potential buyers will do the same.
    During the years I've bought several used bikes and this is the first time I have a bad experience with a seller. But a good learning lesson for me to be very aware when buying a used bike.
  14. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    Hello 250x owners
    I putting together a 04X and need a photo of the wire harness , there's a bracket holding plugs and I'm not sure, can't remember where /how it bolts to the frame under the gas tank.
    Any help would be appreciated !
  15. dave0

dave0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_20210302_181535352.jpg IMG_20210302_181612955.jpg

Mine is a 2005. First image overview, second image by the right side radiator.
    Hope this helps!

Attached Files:

Meet@Trudys likes this.
  16. bearcat1

bearcat1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thread bump from the cellar. It was a nice day for a ride. I was trying to capture Mt. Rainier in the background with the not so great cell phone camera. An eagle or hawk however did photo bomb me. Look at the horizon above the rear area of the seat. Looks like a big bug!

CRF250X.jpg
    dave0, Thumperama and Bultaco206 like this.