The Official II° European AdvRider Rally Thread

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GiorgioXT, Jul 14, 2006.

1. GiorgioXT

GiorgioXT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shouldn't start with anything different ?

[​IMG]
    :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :evil :evil :freaky :1drink

But probabily better this way ... (just to not goin' directly in JM!:rofl )
    [​IMG]

I would like to thank ALL the partecipants , you're a good ol' bunch of FF's :deal :evil :rofl and it was a REAL PLEASURE AND HONOR to host you all.

Report and pictures will follow soon
  2. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel See Ya At The Swamp Supporter

Oddometer:
    The "Yellow" GSs need to be discontinued; they're gonna hurt somebody :lol3
  3. GiorgioXT

GiorgioXT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not ..seems that prefers to hurt themselves...:deal

I hope to be forgiven by the AdvRiders for being slow...
  4. CosmoSquig

CosmoSquig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Once again thanks to everyone!
    Giorgio, it couldn't have been better! We had a great time. Thank you!

Now some pics from me :)

Note: Anyone who wants his/her pictures in high resolution, please send me PM, I'll see what I got.

Route planning on a 3D map ;)
    [​IMG]

Now that is twisty
    [​IMG]

and that is not
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An Italian starter
    [​IMG]

Four cows on this pic ;)
    [​IMG]

Watching football game
    [​IMG]

See how far this gravel road goes? And who's down there going up&down all the time instead of eating his pasta? :D
    [​IMG]

This pasta
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Killer-Wee
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

adventure miners :lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See you next time!!
    [​IMG]
  5. ilmostro

ilmostro Under Da Sea

Oddometer:
    :clap

Thank you so much for all your hard work putting this event together Giorgio. :bow You embody the spirit of this site and it has been a pleasure to meet you and get to ride with you. (even in the car :sick)

I hope to be able to attend another event in the near future!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Slimie

Slimie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tell me about the polenta, and the rain. I feel bad enough that I missed it. Again. Don't rub it in!!:lol3

More...we're all waiting:clap

-Simon
  7. commo_soulja

commo_soulja Supa Thumpa Pilot

Oddometer:
    Amazing pics and scenery... you're making me envious:fyyff
  8. CarbonCat

CarbonCat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgio, thanks for hosting such a funtastic event! it was great!

Ilmostro - dude, keep the rubber don't, shot more pictures, be safe on your trip!

When you go to Alaska , if you deside to pass through St.Louis - please stop by! I forgot that expression in English....

Fuck you! :fyyff and have a good time!

Cheers mate!:freaky
  9. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful :thumb
  10. walrond

walrond Earth Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I’m pretty tired so you will get the condensed version and lots of pictures. First of all, if you see a picture you like just send me a IM and I will email you the full resolution picture. All the pictures I took can be seen here (over 140): https://walrond.smugmug.com/gallery/1668605. There are lots of action shots of Adv riders on their machines. I don’t want to clutter up the post with them so if you are interested just go to the link above.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    And the story begins…. Dr. Rich showed up at my house on Friday and had been riding all day. My wife made us a great dinner and after a few beers and a shower we got a good night sleep. Saturday morning we left about 0900 and started our way down the autobahn. We decided to take the fast way down. First scare came at the first fill up 175 miles after we left. After we filled up I tried to start my bike and it would cut out when I engaged 1<sup>st</sup> gear. Silly me had left the side stand down and the bike was doing what it was designed to do. I thought my trip was over before it began. Once we got to <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Austria</st1:place></st1:country-region> we bought our toll stickers and admired the view for a few minutes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next was Fernpass…. The pass was so congested that we were not moving anywhere. Dr. Rich saw a couple of British cyclists rip past us so he jump out and followed. We started to make good time cutting through traffic and managed to avoid the police in the process. I won’t bore you with the rest of the ride getting there except to say the views were spectacular. We arrived at the camp around 1900 and pitched our tents.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    GiorgioXT took us to a great restaurant where we had some good pasta and some wine before we went to sleep.
    The next day we show up at the Hotel Progresso to meet before the days ride. But before we left Loz had to put on a new tire….
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The ride was great! It was my first time to go off a paved road on the big GS. First, we went to a gravel road along side a creek bed. It then turned into a paved road (that had some great hairpins!) and then turned back into a gravel road for several more miles.
    [​IMG]
    We made our way to another small mountain road that was about 6 feet wide then turned into a dirt/gravel road that was full of steep hairpins turns that would have been that bad except for the fact that it started to rain and got VERY slippery. At this point I found out just how much torque the GS has in first gear. Coming around one of the corners I had the gas on a little too long and the rear just swung around. I didn’t fall but lost all momentum. Did I tell you this road was slippery and steep? Momentum was the key here and since I didn’t have any I had to slip the piss out of the clutch to get started again. The rear tourance just kept spinning away. (Why didn’t I put the TKCs on?) After a while the rain stopped and we all made it to the top. Not without incident though. Ilmostro put a hole in his rented GS. (See GiorgioXT’s first post for the picture).
    [​IMG]
    We had lunch at this wonderful mountain hut. First we received a platter of cheeses and sausage with grilled meats and polenta to follow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The rest of the ride was great. It was a fast ride down the mountain without incident. Dinner was on our own since the final game of the World Cup was on and <st1:country-region w:st="on">Italy</st1:country-region> was playing against <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">France</st1:place></st1:country-region>. Who would have ever imagined that I would be in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Italy</st1:place></st1:country-region> the night they won the World Cup. It was an incredible experience!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then there were these guys who set up air horns hooked up to an air compressor. Man was that thing loud!
    [​IMG]
    That was the end of Sunday….
    I will leave the rest of the ride report to others as we all had a great time. I met a lot of Adv riders and all of them were great people. GiorgioXT was an incredible host and I don’t think we could ever thank him enough. I leave you now with several pictures…
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. LOZ

LOZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    hi mate,great piccies,nice to meet all you guy's(execpt illymonstero-twat:rofl)thank's giorgio for a great time..........loz
  12. Tim

Tim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got home last night. Many thanks to Giorgio for his organisation and to all those who attended for helping to make it a great week.

Pics to follow.

Cheers.
  13. Slimie

Slimie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent pic':

[​IMG]

:clap
  14. OldPhart

OldPhart Lurking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No kidding! I expect to see Julie Andrews cresting the hill any second now. :rofl

Nice report! A couple of those shots are front page material!!
  15. bavarian

bavarian bavarian

Oddometer:
    It was about time that someone started that ride report about our annual European ADVrider meeting. To make a long story short – it was the best meeting sofar though we had by far not enough Polenta this year (others might have different opinions about that). GiorgioXT did an amazing job and our American visitors Ilmostro and Carboncat got a nice lesson in “picking up GSes” and how to repair a valve cover on the road. On the other hand it must be said that Ilmostro won the inofficial Coasting Championship against strong competition so it was not all that bad for our visitors from across the big pond.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    I started with Carboncat on Thursday near Munich and we went to Garmisch to meet Bummer. Seems like I made a mistake and was a day early and after some waiting we made our way into the Dolomites. At our first picnic stop we watched a little car rolling down a steep hill into a brook at considerable speed ending upside down, luckily nobody was in the car and aside from being totally exhausted from our rush down the hill to see whether nobody got hurt no harm being done. Surreal experience. Carboncat can furnish a picture of the scene.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>Carboncat riding down the Passo di Erbe</o:p>
    <o:p> Old castle in St. Martin in Thurn, now a museum</o:p>
    <o:p>In the middle of the Dolomites</o:p>
    We then intended to do the Sella loop, however got caught in a heavy thunderstorm with plenty of lightning which kept us in a little mountain hut for two hours and Carboncats GS topping over in the softening soil. We took a little nap and then went down again to Wolkenstein to find a nice hotel for the night.<o:p></o:p>
    Next morning we finished the Sella loop and got a call from Bummer who was waiting for us in Garmisch. After some back and forth we finally met him in Predazzo and continued to the Passo di Manghen where we again got caught in the rain. We however rode on to Bassano del Grappa, a beautiful italian medevial town at the foot of the Dolomites and home of the famous Grappa. We found again a nice hotel and spent the evening with Pizza, Caprese and icecream, strolling through the town. If you are near Bassano, don’t miss it!!<o:p></o:p>
    Saturday then was our planned arrival at Pieve di Cadore, the place of the ADVrider meeting. We got there over plenty of twisties, capuccinos, a mountain hut that provided us with cheese and sausage in the middle of nowhere and some forest roads that showed up on our GPS but lead us to nowhere, was however very scenic and adventurous.

[​IMG]

When we arrived in Pieve those ADVriders, who had already arrived, were out on a ride, so we made ourselves comfortable with more capuccino and beer and cheap read wine. <o:p></o:p>
    On Sunday we had our first ride out together and did some beautiful paved roads before the difficult climb up to our rifugio (mountain hut) began. It was quite demanding considering the fact that it had started raining.

[​IMG]
    Carboncat in one of the easier sections.

Ilmostro, who had previously won the Coasting Championship tested the solidity of the valve covers of the 1200 GS and finished in 2<SUP>nd</SUP> place. If you read in the papers about the water contamination in the Pieve valley, which made headlines all over the world, now you know the reason. Luckily he had bought 1 liter of oil just before the climb (11 Euros), so the engine of the GS survived. And thanks to around 20 ADVriders all sharing their wisdom, advice, tools, gear and the inventor of duct tape, Ilmostro made it safely down the mountain and back into the hotel. This event almost shadowed the tremendously good food we got up there, the cheap beer and wine and the lovely dessert.

[​IMG]
    The Polenta servings were a bit on the meagre side for my liking.

[​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> The Honorable Sir Loz of Cadore</o:p>
    The way down and back home to the Hotel Progresso (which really didn’t make any progress the last 50 years and was a charming headquarter for us) will stay in my mind as a very spirited ride together with the Honorable Sir Loz of Cadore. And here are some more of my pics:<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> [​IMG]</o:p>
    Bummer missed a turn and instead of giving the command "push" we pulled the Honda. Turned out to be a huge mistake.

[​IMG]
    Our polish couple up to the rifugio Visentin on Monday. What a great rider!!

[​IMG]
    Margita (or is it Margitta?), our Swedish girl.

[​IMG]
    Exploring the trenches from WW I

[​IMG]
    Exit of the WW I tunnel

All in all, it was such a nice atmosphere, so many nice people, our ladies showed their riding skills which really amazed me – I was riding behind Pumpkin in some very difficult terrain the last day and was totally in awe about how her riding has improved since last year!! Well done. <o:p></o:p>
    I could write on and on about each one of the participants and what a joy it was to spend that time together with you all – so I just say thank you to all for being such good sports. <o:p></o:p>
  16. Bummer

Bummer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes.. I must say, this is from the nice end, them pic are commin...:rofl ..

But wait, its gonna get nasty..:wink:... But not yet.. Here´s one, of the most impressive riders at this, as we say in our languge :fyyff , fantastic rally..
  17. Bummer

Bummer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Might as vel start with one of the ugly ones..

I got a lot of atention for bringing my lovely old HONDA to this bmw-rally.. And I wonder why, I kept verry low profile, about it.. :wink: ..

Please note the sligthly dirty salute finger.. Due to some LIGHT maintenance on the HONDA...
  18. joro

joro Extra

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    got back home late saturday night, one day earlier than expected. On friday evening my GS stopped her cooperation 1 hour away from the BMW meeting near cologne and 250km from home. Beside a non working starter she´s now suffering a severe problem with the clutch/transmission :cry.
    [​IMG]

The ADV Meeting in the dolomites was a damned good component of my 4 week holiday. Pleasure to meet everybody, it was big fun :clap!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks to all for the efforts of organisation, giving a hand repairing my bike and borrowing their bikes!
    Cheers
    Joro

[​IMG]

19. Joerg

Joerg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Richard -- may I kindly remind you :ken that you were among the first people to leave, so you had aaaaaalll the time to prepare a wonderful, well-written, spell-checked, lengthy, in-depth trip report and post it here before anyone else ? :super

[​IMG]

OK - this is just to say that I made it home safely on saturday evening. Seven days, 2112 km (~150 km of these on the highway), average gas consumption 6.3 l/100 km, 0.6 l oil overall, and the only defect was the speedo lamp :D

Kudos to GiorgioXT who had made this event possible - I had a real blast, and it was great to meet the bunch of you FFs again! :ricky Pictures will follow soon; I have about 400 pictures to sort, so it may take a little while until they are online ...
  20. walrond

walrond Earth Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the complement! I wanted to take pictures at the more difficult sections but I don't know if I would have been able to get going again afterwards.