The Official Micatech Luggage Thread

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Micatech, May 27, 2010.

1. Jick Magger

Jick Magger Exile on Main Street

Oddometer:
    Okanagan Valley BC, Canada/Scottsdale, Arizona
    I just bought a set of the Pilot cases for my 1200GSA. Not so sure I like the looks of the top racks, but without these there isn't any where to tie down cargo on top of the panniers. Anyone have a solution or ideas? Thanks
  2. Micatech

Micatech Motorcycle Luggage

Oddometer:
    Hey Jick Magger,

We've seen some of our customers install rope or webbing guides. If you use a conical rubber washer on the underside, it'll stay pretty dry.

[​IMG]

Another option is to use rok straps or bungee cords and zig zag between the frame and the end handles. It's not perfect, but it gets the job done. Hope that helps. Show us what you come up with :deal
  3. KCDakar

KCDakar What are we waiting for?

Oddometer:
    I use Rok Straps and rode 19.000 plus miles with two gear bags strapped to the top of each pannier. I put two straps on each handle and crossed them over the top of each bag. I rode from Kansas City to Alaska by way of Maine. They Never moved. Both are 35Ltr bags.
    I can tell you that if you haven't tried Rok Straps, you are missing out. I have six pair now. I have no idea how I did without all those years. Broken bunggies. Holes rubbed into gear. Snapping back into my face. Almost losing my bag - after all my gear fell out on the last 10 miles down the road. I then got regular straps and went that way for a while. Then Rok came along. I am not joking when I say it's a game changer. I have never had one fail and I do tend to put things to the test.:lol3

Try them and let me know how it works for you. If you don't like them, I'll buy them from you. :deal
  4. GregPoole

GregPoole Gnarly Coot

Oddometer:
  5. Micatech

Oddometer:
    After 37 years in the metal fabrication business, I have the opportunity to sell our business and am going to retire from the production side of things. I am working closely with the new business and will be taking a hiatus from Micatech for a year or so, to work on the transition, travel and recharge.

In the meantime, we are rethinking our Micatech products and manufacturing and looking at how we can better serve the market. I will be testing some new design improvements on our cases and a slick new mounting system. We are also looking for a new business partner. If you have any interest, I’d be glad to discuss.

We have some inventory on sale for a limited time only. Please see the list below and check our website or call for deals on Pilot Luggage, V-Pilots, V2 Cases, top cases, racks, roof racks, backrests, ReflectGard kits and liner bags.

We invite you all to stay in touch with us through the Micatech Facebook page also our website, www.micatech.net.

Sue and I have had a tremendous amount of fun over the past eight years with Micatech and we look forward to seeing you again in the future. Thanks for everything!

Checkout www.Micatech.net for all the sales prices (while they last).

See you all out on the road!

Bob Gould

[​IMG]
  6. VonHelm

VonHelm corona ring

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on your "retirement". :D

Your products, design, quality, and exceptional customer service are benchmarks in the industry. While it sadens me to know that you won't have a hand in the day-to-day operations anymore, I can only hope that your products will coninue to be available and meet the high standards that you've set.
    Anyone that knows anything about sheetmetal fabrication marvel at the level of craftmanship of your cases. I still get complements after 5 years and many thousands of miles. Your dedication and contribution to the motorcycling community will not be forgotten.

Best wishes and a hearty THANK YOU!
    Brian
  7. Micatech

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Brian! Your words are greatly appreciated. I should note that, the metal fabrication business has been sold. Micatech is still ours, but we won't be producing any more product in the near future. So, our current inventory is only good while it lasts!

See you out on the road :ricky
  8. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher

Oddometer:
    Happy travels over the next year....but we will be expecting you back at it when you have had an adventure. Great product.
  9. Micatech

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Looking forward to some family time and lots of riding time. :deal
  10. rebake

rebake Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like we will be in your area again the second week in June.I will call you for lunch.Ed
  11. Micatech

Oddometer:
    Hi Ed - We might be travelling - but give us a call!
  12. sdpc2

sdpc2 Just another Rally Rat

Oddometer:
    were these a special order, or did you paint them yourself? I just bought a rally edition myself and really like the look that you have there.

thx,

scott

13. Micatech

Oddometer:
    We did a custom white paint on the doors :deal
  14. Micatech

Oddometer:
    The Micatech inventory won't last much longer!

[​IMG]
  15. super8mm

super8mm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I emailed Susan on Friday, she is going to check on the stuff I need Monday :D
  16. cba191

cba191 wanna buy a monkey?

Oddometer:
    I've found a great deal on a silver set. How hard would it be to recoat them in a black finish? And is it possible to add the 4-way mounting bracket after the fact?
  17. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher

Oddometer:
    Most powder coat shops with a decent sized oven could do it if you wanted. Mounts are SWMotech.
  18. Micatech

Oddometer:
    Hi cba,

We're taking a break from operations for now but any powder coat house should be able to paint them black for you. You'll have to take off all the trim and may need to re-install a few pieces, but it can be done. The mounting brackets are welded on directly to the cases. So if these are an older pair with the single position bracket, you'll need to grind them off and weld on the new 4-way brackets. Unfortunately, we're out of those as well (it's not a part we typically sell a-la-carte). I hope that helps. Feel free to give us a call if you want to chat more.
  19. Zoul

Zoul No Comment Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got them mounted. I had to wait forever to get the mounts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you back from your break? I broke the tabs on my wimpy Multivario bags on my FIRST outing on my "new to me" R1200GS. Nothing stupid, just some rough gravel roads with babyheads, some stream crossings and a few airborne moments with a 225 pound rider. I know that I am tough on my bikes. I have a history of bending rims and breaking parts, which does not seem to amuse my penny pinching, wife who is also my CPA. :lol3
    I've have had Jesse's on several of my bikes in the past and have been happy with them, but I am very interested in the side loading option your bags offer. I need a set of BIG bags, in black, with the option of being able to move them fore and aft on my 2011 R1200GS, and they can't come off during hard landings!

Which of your bags/mount would you recommend for me? Are they available? Price?

***Very fast e-mail response recieved from Bob****