** The Official NZ FAQ Thread** Bike hire, trip planning, NZ info etc look here first

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by kiwipeet, Aug 3, 2011.

1. vaara

vaara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just thought of another question. Does Biosecurity care about motorcycle gear? I know they're strict about gear used for camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities, and motorcycling is obviously one of those. I have some fairly new gear that's never been on dirt, though I suppose it's possible my foot could have been placed in a spot where there once had been cow shit, so (even if the authorities are not concerned) I'll still clean my gear.

Just wondering how much of a hassle it's going to be at the airport.

I'm also probably going to bring a sleeping bag, which - like my moto gear - has never touched dirt, but maybe I should have it dry-cleaned just to be sure?
  2. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Honestly, I've found it comes down to the mood the customs officer is in that day.
    I've had boots with a smudge of mud get through fine, while another time I had to pay to have some spotless boots cleaned. :puke1
    Friends of mine have found the same.

Better to play it safe and have your gear pretty damned clean.
  3. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf High functioning sociopath

Oddometer:
    I went through without much inspection, but out of sheer respect for the unique environment down there I would suggest making sure everything is as clean as possible. It's gorgeous and downright prehistoric and we don't need to contribute to ruining that. I scrubbed my boots with a toothbrush and cleaned them well. Bought a brand new tent for the occasion and ran everything through the washer and packed it as soon as it dried. I only carried down some spare dog hairs with me.

But they were clean dog hairs. :lol3

Enjoy your trip, the south island is the most beautiful place on the planet. Great people, great roads, great food. You have to eat the Red Deer when you're there.
  4. zaTTaz

zaTTaz LOUD NOISES.

Oddometer:
    So long as you're not trying to bring gear that has been rocking around and waist deep in 'farm activities', you'll be sweet. They don't like that farm word ;)
  5. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, and lower Arizona
    Could someone give me a little insight here? The line quoted above was from over three years ago as "reserved" in the header.
    I'm thinking about renting a motorcycle in NZ for 3+ weeks this coming March. The rental rate adds up to so much that it drove me over to TradeMe.NZ. Half the bikes there need "rego, wof, and insurance. Could anyone give me a clue as to how much this could add up to? Are there dealerships that would sell me a bike and buy it back for a half way reasonable amount? $3-6000 seems a steep price for a three week rental of a used bike.
    Thanks for any guidance, Tom
  6. Southmt

Southmt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good question, I'd love to get over there, but all the requirements are totally foreign to me too.

Bob
    NM, USA
  7. PJay

PJay Any bike, anywhere

Oddometer:
    There is no statutory requirement in New Zealand for insurance. But third party property damage, fire and theft only is relatively inexpensive (note that we do not have civil liability for personal injury here).

Registration varies according to age and size of machine - for a newish big bike it's somewhere near NZD700 per annum, from memory.

"WoF" is warrant of fitness, a 12- or 6-monthly inspection (the rules have just changed, but I think if the machine's under 10 years old now, it's 12-monthly, >10yrs then 6-monthly). My mechanic charges me NZD40 an inspection.

Be aware that machines with no rego or wof will have been let alone for some time and will probably need money spent to bring them up to standard. Rego is unavailable without a current wof, and unless rego is put on hold by request whilst still within 12 months of when it was last current, it will lapse and the process to reinstate is a pain.

It seems to me that hireage here is about the same as I have found in other countries for comparable machines (similar to Australia, cheaper than UK).
  8. trustme

trustme Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes some dealers will do buy back. I really don't know how the economics work out. A mate is working on a few airhead Beemers he wants to rent out. I could sound him out if you like. He's an ex Rolls Royce avaition tech so they are not total shittersl.

I'd pretty much agree with Pete , recently rented a bike in the US. When you add in insurance, ouch . Over 3 weeks & it would be cost effective to bring your own bike but the shipping down time is a bugger
  9. Southmt

Southmt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! The picture becomes clearer!
  10. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
    x2. Thanks all.
    I've only rented bikes on the US west coast and was used to paying roughly half of what I've found in NZ. I was mostly hoping for a better price break on a 21+ day rental. I knock off well better than 5-10% off my vacation rental home for 6+ day stays. It's nice to know you have one solid block gone like that, especially since I'm talking about the end of/ after peak season.
  11. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
    I tried telling that to my brother on your south island. For under $4000 I could buy a new GN125 over there and throw it off a cliff before leaving. (I do prefer mid + size bikes.) He was not too keen on helping so I'm trying to do this solo.
  12. trustme

trustme Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recently hired a bike in SF . base rate was around $120/ day but add in insurance & it added almost $70 per day . NZ rates should include insurance but the excess can be high
  13. Voltaire

Voltaire Titanium and Ceramic Hipster

Oddometer:
    I think he intends doing guided tours....can't actually see that working to be honest. I suggested he buy a couple of K75/100 and do buy back on them.
    Airheads are probably getting a bit old for " non enthusiast" I don't mind doing gearbox swaps on the side of the road but its not for everyone :rofl
  14. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    You carry a spare gearbox? Damn, I am downright reckless with spares.

I would buy a DR650 and then explore the country on your own. It gives you more options and you are supposed to have a good look around, not just hoon through. Our roads are changeable, they seal them with what ever happens to be piled up out the back. Some times it's chip seal, some time wet bitumen, or if they're really hard up, it's dead possums. Slow is the way to go.
    Oaters likes this.
  15. Voltaire

Voltaire Titanium and Ceramic Hipster

Oddometer:
    I had started a European tour in 1989 on my semi restored 1970 R75/5. I noticed heading up to Wales to catch a ferry to Ireland that the transmission was getting a bit 'jerky"
    Got to Dublin only to find there was one BMW shop in the whole country and he would not let me bring in the gearbox and had to take in the whole bike.
    150 Punt later got bike back but output bearing was on way out ( cage had broken and rollers/balls were binding).
    Finished tour of Ireland and phoned around for a gearbox, ended up at Motorbins which was a shop in the High Street then, pulled a gearbox out of a wreck and swapped it out on the footpath outside.
    That's the long version.
    Next one, there a lots of people who only have 2-3 weeks holiday who can fly in go on a tour without the hassle.
    Without a tour I would probably never have ridden from Saigon to Hanoi and this year going to India riding a Bullet for 3 weeks.
    Took a Kombi to Europe about 10 years ago, had the engine out of that twice along the way doing the clutch, its a lot of work, shipping vehicles and all the Customs, shippers grief.
  16. DoctorMaddix

DoctorMaddix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I want to travel through NZ from this Oct till next Sept. While checking all the bikes on trademe, motorcycletrader etc. I'm wondering whether there is the possibility to limit the kw/hp of a bigger bike and therefore meet the restrictions of my european A2 license (max. power-to-weight-ratio: 0,2kw/kw; max. power: 35kw/48hp)?
    It's certainly common in europe, but is it in NZ? I always read of LAMS approved bikes, but that's just a limitiation to 660cc, isn't it?

Cheers,
    Doc.
  17. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    DoctorMaddix likes this.
  18. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Hi Doc - The LAMS system has a 660cc limit and a power to weight restriction. Just get a bike that is on the approved list which you can find here

It is not possible to limit the power of a bike to make it LAMS legal. Only the motorcycle manufacturers can produce factory limited power 'LAMS versions'

Cheers
    Clint
    DoctorMaddix likes this.
  19. pirate37

pirate37 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all. Planning a trip to NZ from 9th Feb 2016. Flying in to Chch and would like to pick up a cheapish (5-7k) bike that will do the job. A dual purpose jobby might be the go so I can go off road and take the road less traveled should the mood take me. Any good DR/XR or other, as long as it reg'd and WOF'd. A rack and pack would be a bonus as I will have a tent and am up for camping anywhere. Only really looking at Chch bikes as I don't have time to stuff around when i get there. Any help much appreciated, cheers
  20. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Check out trademe
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Cat...bikes/motorbikes/dual-purpose&searchregion=16