** The Official NZ FAQ Thread** Bike hire, trip planning, NZ info etc look here first

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by kiwipeet, Aug 3, 2011.

1. pirate37

pirate37 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi padmei. Thanks for that, I've had a good look on there but doesn't seem to be much in ChCh that would suit...I'll keep trying though. Cheers
  2. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
  3. pirate37

pirate37 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sure is padmei...thanks for the tips
  4. pirate37

pirate37 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent information Clint. I'll be there in Feb and have decided to hire a DR650 so keen to get off the beaten path as much as possible. Cheers, Pete
  5. nzrian

nzrian renegade master Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. pirate37

pirate37 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. cegan

cegan cDag

Oddometer:
    Hey Folks,

Long time lurker, great posts and top links.

Im heading over to Auckland in feburary and hopefully picking up a bike for a months travelling in the north and south islands, cannot wait

Also if there are any other riders along the road up for some gravel/mac rides let me know as im keen to do some proper adventuring
    Te Hopo likes this.
  8. Guypowell

Guypowell Kapiti Coast

Oddometer:
    Hi, I am new to dual sport and fairly new to NZ. Based in The Kapiti. 45 yr old fella from the UK.
    Did some ‘green lanes’ on my old CRF 250 some years ago.
    Starting out here on drz250 – wanted small enough to explore forest trails etc. Busted my thumb on an organised trail ride last year.
    Now loving the back roads. 42 traverse last year was cool, kiwi road rocked. Recent trip around Wanganui river road and turakina valley road, swimming in the river to cool off in the middle of the day was a joy.
    Looking to meet up with other minimalist tourers (especially any local to Kapiti) – planning a two week tour from March 4th, first week North island kings country, gentle annie etc, second week rainbow and molesworth plus some add ons. Mabe not very adventure riding but seeing the country off the beaten track.
    Cheers all.
    Guy
    Te Hopo likes this.
  9. MarKTM

MarKTM Wannabe ADV rider....Dakar Passionate!

Oddometer:
    I bought Mike's bike, the one in the books. A superb example DL1000. I also met him and was a great, funny bloke, very helpful and ADV riding has lost a genuine Kiwi bloke!
    He gave me three books, one i have read. Autographed them, included all the spares for the bike and set me on my way North! I still have the bike, hasn't had a great deal of mileage put on it but it is there and reminds me when I ride of Mike.....
    Oaters, RMOTO and nzrian like this.
  10. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    Wow, I didn't know he was gone. Had a few email convos with Mike about his NZ book, rides etc. A good man.
  11. Simonhantler

Simonhantler waiheke simon

Oddometer:
    any ideas on a route for week long adv ride thru north island. big bike stuff.
  12. IvanRUS

IvanRUS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Kiwi!
    I am Ivan from Russia, today met this guy Chris Eden, he wrote me a contact in facebook, I can not find. Who knows this guy?
    [​IMG]
  13. jeff_connors

jeff_connors Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all....I'm planning a NZ bike trip early next year. I have a V-Strom 650 in Thailand now. Seems the recommended way to ride NZ is not to ship bike but rent(?) I would prefer to ride my own bike but not if it is going to cost a lot to do this. Renting at $150 or so daily rate seems a bit steep also. I just can't see going on holiday to NZ without riding a bike to see it. Any ideas on riding, renting, shipping would be appreciated. Thanks.
  14. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Hi Mate, you are best to start a thread with your questions, but... yep, renting is $$$$, shipping is $$$$ and a hassle. If you are coming for long enough, &/or have an NZ contact that can help out with buying/storing/selling, then buying a bike can be a good option. Very easy for tourists to own a vehicle here. Check out Trademe the NZ auction site for 2nd hand bikes.

Cheers
    Clint
  15. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    We are coming to NZ later this month and I have a few questions. We have been there before (in the 90's) but I imagine some things have changed.

for starters I'm working on what to buy with cash and what to use the card for.

1. Do most fuel stations have pay-at-the-pump machines or will I need to pay cash?
    2. Do modest motels accept credit cards?
    3. Small cafes?

I'll probably have more questions.:D
  16. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can barely recognize our banknotes these days and as for our coins.....
  17. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Good questions. NZ actually uses cash a lot less than the average country. EFTPOS debit & credit cards rule. A lot of small businesses appreciate debit/cash over a credit card though as they don't lose a cut to the bank.

1. There are some pay at pump stations but they aren't super common. All fuel stations will accept credit/debit cards over the counter though.
    2. Yes, almost all businesses that cater for tourists will accept credit cards.
    3. Most cafes take credit cards, but some small ones , especially in remote locations, may not. Best to always carry a little cash.

Of course you need to check with your bank on the cost of foreign card transactions. Sometimes they'll just have a percentage, sometimes certain affiliated ATMs have no/lower fees, sometimes every transaction has a fixed charge (which if it's a lot means withdrawing a wad of cash every few days is best)

Have fun & stop in for a beer or BBQ if you make it to Rotorua - just shoot me a PM

Cheers
    Clint
  18. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick replies.

I think I'll be OK on the cash as I have an opportunity to get some cash at a good rate before I leave. Also my local bank will charge no fees of any kind and apparently at least two NZ banks have no fees if I get cash from their ATMs.

Another question: Here in the US it is customary to negotiate the price for a motel room. Is it the same in NZ or are the prices pretty well fixed?

If we are going to be near Rotorua we'll send a PM to see if we can meet.
  19. Simonhantler

Simonhantler waiheke simon

Oddometer:
    everythings negotiable
  20. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    i disagree with simonhantler

it so easy to shop around for a good rate with the likes of wotif or trivago, i feel its a bit of an insult to expect to go in guns blazing for a discount. especially some of the earthquake affected areas.

if its high season you wont get far, if its low season the rates are reasonable anyway.

the other side of that coin (for visitors especially) is if the host feels they got screwed then dont expect too much in the way of help or advice on your next days travel. local knowledge is priceless imo and i always prefer a transaction where neither side feels like they just got fucked.

bear in mind, tipping is not a thing here
    Te Hopo, Muzz67 and Manakau.KTM like this.