1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

** The Official NZ FAQ Thread** Bike hire, trip planning, NZ info etc look here first

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by kiwipeet, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Simonhantler

Simonhantler waiheke simon

Oddometer:
    Clap trap ( BS) have a go mate. They don't have to take your offer, and I'm sure the so called insult won't last long when cash hits there Palm. It is true during peak season it harder to neg but that's never stopped me and if I have to pay full price no worries, that's the way it goes. Have fun, spend money, make money.
  2. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like it is a little different than in the US where motels have a whole array of rates and if you ask (politely) you can usually get one of the better ones. Being demanding is never a good idea.

Another question: Do motels typically have a supply of old towels/rags for cleaning bikes and riding gear?
  3. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    You're really planning on cleaning your (rental??) bike while on holiday? :dunno:rofl Seriously though most motels etc are quite good about that sort of thing if you ask nicely. Usually explaining that you want to clean your gear before you take it into the room gets a really good result :D

Cheers
    Clint
    Te Hopo likes this.
  4. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, maybe cleaning is too strong a word.:lol3 I was thinking of wiping water off the tank and seat in the morning. And I do like to keep my helmet clean.
  5. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    we have misunderstood each other sorry. yes, by all means ask what rates they offer and what you'd be getting. you can even look in the room before deciding if you want to.

cleaning rags are not normal and as clint says, they get really shitty when you turn their white towels some other colour :lol3
  6. Flirtin w/Disaster

Flirtin w/Disaster Skinny ass white boy

Oddometer:
    Non Bike Info Request Please
    Family is visiting the Taupo area of North Island and wants to experience some river fishing. Had a guide that cancelled for medical reasons. All others are booked. Just needing someone to drive between sites and help an older, experienced fisherman enjoy a day of sloshing on a river bank looking for Brown trout. Any help greatly appreciated.
  7. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, I'm getting a handle on the motels now. It was interesting to me that when I called the chosen motel directly the room price was about 25% less than the online services and even the motels own web site even though I'm pretty sure the motel only had a couple of rooms left and now shows none available.

Is there something big happening in Auckland the end of next week? The motels were filling up fast.

We will be in NZ the last week of February and most of March. Since we have been before we will mostly just be wandering about instead of going to major tourist attractions. We plan to go south from Auckland pretty directly to Invercargill and work our way north to Cape Reinga over the next 4-5 weeks.

With that in mind are there any motorcycle related events we could go to while we are there?
  8. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    yes, the boss has a concert akl on the 25th?

paeroa street races are on the 19th. before you get here? thats all i know.

first stop in invercargill should be here if you're into this stuff
    https://www.transportworld.co.nz/motorcycle-mecca/
  9. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    That looks pretty interesting. I put it on my list.
    I also wanted to see Burt Munro's bike since I first heard about him back in the 1960's when he was at Bonneville. It looks like there are two of his bikes, one in Invercargill and one at Te Papa. Do you know if they were both really his?
  10. Three Dawg

Three Dawg Into Africa

Oddometer:
    Hi, UK bed and breakfast owner here. Always try to book direct with the establishment. The (so-called) online travel agents charge a hefty commission (booking dot com 15% for example) so this is often built into the online price. Use an OTA to find your bed and then book direct:D Slightly unusual that the motel's own website didn't show a cheaper rate, but some places are scared of showing a lower rate than the OTA price for fear of reprisals.
    glitch_oz likes this.
  11. hairnet

hairnet will travel for cake

Oddometer:
    question about road from picton to christchurch

looking at coming over and mostly doing north island but go down and do the top left corner of the south island but i wanted to go down the coast to church but because of the quake bits of the road arent open - googles diversion is 500km - i dont think so :D

what ya reckon??
  12. ztaj

ztaj jatz

Oddometer:
    Google is correct :D The diversion is 500k
    The road is supposed to be open mid Dec I think
    bikemoto likes this.
  13. hilslamer

hilslamer 2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer:
    What are you riding and what timeframe will you be in NZ? The road from Blenheim through to Hanmer Springs is a dirt bypass, but only gravel/"shingle"(as Kiwis call it). It is only upen spring summer/autumn(closed winters) and on a bike, can easily be faster than the original road up the coast(through Kaikoura). I *think* this link should work(may be shown as the grey line - secondary route:

https://www.google.co.nz/maps/dir/H...2!1d172.8288246!2d-42.5262427!1m0!2m1!1b1!3e0

It's paved off of Hwy 1 South of Blenheim and also through most of the Awatere Valley, then turns to shingle, soes over the range there(forget the name) and then follows the Acheron River into Hanmer Srprings, and is a gorgeous ride. I've done it in a passenger car with kayaks on racks on the top and four people inside, with no trouble in the dry.

I feel like that is quite optomistic for most traffic, but for a motorcycle, likely. This is via sources that I know personally that are up there working on it in a variety of capacities. Depends on weather and unforseen things, like landslides that have happened during work, etc.
  14. hairnet

Oddometer:
    Either a gn 250 or majesty scooter - speaking to them at the mo

The road from kaikoura down isnt far can't believe there's no other way round
  15. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    There is another way, but it's basically the three other sides of a square.
  16. hilslamer

hilslamer 2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer:
    Which is exactly what I showed and mentioned. Welcome to NZ, when you finally get ot the South Island and see the terrain, and how many rivers you have to cross to get anywhere in the backcountry, you will see why there is no "back way" unless you know all the farmers in any given area.

Further to that, I highly encourage you to go down the coast toward Kaikoura as far as you can or are willing to - recall that there was recently a ~7.5 on the Richter scale earthquake, that levitated entire sections of sea bed and changed the entire coastline dramatically. Hopefully that will explain why the road is the only one, and why it is closed still.
  17. hairnet

Oddometer:
    thanks for this :D

decided not to do south island on the scooter (end of feb)

gonna fly from auck to queenstown and then down to invercargill then back to akl then do coromandel round to gisborne and taupo and rotarua on the ped :D
  18. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gday!
    I have a female friend visiting from Germany. She's doing quite a bit of riding here in OZ, but will be heading over the ditch next week to check yuz out. She's wanting to hire a wee little car for about 2 1/2 weeks, for as little outlay as possible. As you do. We've had a bit of a look around, 'Lucky' looks dodgy, as do a few of the other cheapies..

Any suggestions?

Cheers in advance!
  19. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    not sure where your friend is on the dodgy vs cheap sliding scale but pegusus rentals might be worth a look? you dont have to drop em off where you start from.
  20. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah yes. The sliding scale :lol3...

We went with "Orange". Seems like a bullshit free , small and local mob.

Will report back.

Yo!