** The Official NZ FAQ Thread** Bike hire, trip planning, NZ info etc look here first

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by kiwipeet, Aug 3, 2011.

1. hairnet

hairnet will travel for cake

Oddometer:
    Oh shit :D

Just gotta save up for flight home now :D

IMG_20171117_180606_BURST001_COVER.jpg IMG_20171117_180621.jpg
    ztaj likes this.
  2. hairnet

Oddometer:
    oh and its all MikeO's fault :D
  3. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
  4. hairnet

Oddometer:
    thats no bother

all that will be sorted before i leave home - just not buying tickets all at once :D
  5. hairnet

Oddometer:
    spoke to cbp ticket to nz all thats needed (coulda been anywhere)
  6. MadMags

MadMags Rider, Explorer, Gear Head and Art Junkie

Oddometer:
    We have our trip booked to NZ for February 2018 and are checking several places for Motorcycle rentals. We plan on Camping and preparing our own food with a fuel stove. I haven't seen any of the campgrounds listings with fire rings. In the US they are at every campground we have ever been to. Hoping there is an option for us to do some campfire cooking. Can you have a camp fires and is firewood available?
  7. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    We rented a couple of DR650's for a month from these people http://www.motorcycle-hire.co.nz/
    last February and I can highly recommend them if you want a no hassle rental. They have a wide range of bikes but you do need to commit fairly early because they are popular.

We didn't camp but we did stay in a number of backpackers which provide a good place to sleep and have kitchens that satisfied all our cooking needs. Most of the ones we used were found through www.bbh.co.nz/

We did observe some camping places in resort type settings and (trying to be diplomatic) decided they weren't what we would want to do.

One thing to keep in mind is that February is a busy time in NZ with hordes of tourists from all over the world. We met people on month long trips who had every night of their trip reserved in advance. We found that reserving 2-3 days in advance worked for us. There will be places where you can roll into town late in the day and find accommodation, but in the busy tourist areas...not so much.

NZ is a great place to visit and the people are friendly and helpful. You'll have a great time.
  8. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Campfires

Fire rings in commercial campgrounds are not really a thing in NZ, although some will have something & if they do you'll likely be able to buy firewood. DOC campgrounds more commonly have some sort of fireplace but it's not a certainty. You will need to find your own firewood, carry a folding saw or hatchet & start looking for some a couple of km out from the site as the immediate surroundings will have been well pillaged. In summer many places will have a total fire ban signposted. (Your stove will be ok)

Cheers
    Clint
    glitch_oz likes this.
  9. MadMags

Oddometer:
    Thanks Clint, Good to know. Maybe I will bring two stoves and buy fuel when I get there if that is the case. Calling ahead is a good idea. I can then ask each specific Camping Area so I can prepare to collect wood or not.
  10. MadMags

Oddometer:
    Thanks Charlie, We booked out Motorcycles and ready to roll when we get there. The back packers site looks spot on. Another great option. Thanks for all the other great info.
  11. Tshusband

Tshusband Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HELP NEEDED!

Hi guys. I am looking for someone who may be able to help me get a bike from Hamilton up to Auckland sometime soon. It's a KTM 500 EXC so easy to load up and strap down.
    I'm an American who is coming over to ride soon but need this bike transported before I arrive.
    If anyone might be headed that way who has room to carry an extra bike I sure would appreciate hearing from you.
    Thanks so much.
  12. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi mate. I'm assuming you know there are a few companies that will ship your bike for you if no one is going your way with a half empty trailer.
    Biketranz is one. When do you need it in Auckland?
  13. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it road legal? I can ride it there.
  14. Tshusband

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. Yes I am aware of Biketranz. Trying to save a buck if I can. I would like to get the bike up to Aukland the third week of January.
    And yes it is fully road registered, plated, and ready to go.
    Does that work for you Neppi? Thanks.
  15. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there a place in Akl I can just drop it (pun) or would I have to be there in sync with you?

Seems I'm naturally going up that way somewhere late next week which would be too early for you...

Would there be an inmate here who could babysit the bike for a few days in Akl?
  16. trustme

trustme Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can leave the bike at my place. I live in Greenhithe on the Nth Shore, bit of a hike along the Nth Western m'way to get there
  17. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there a Bus or such from the airport?
  18. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    When we were there in March we used https://www.supershuttle.co.nz/
    IRRC it was around NZ$30 for a trip from the airport to Hillcrest which is a bit short of Greenhithe. Google AKL shuttle and there are many to choose from.
    Our motel recommended Super Shuttle.
  19. Tshusband

Oddometer:
    Hey Neppi, I am going to PM you with contact info in Auckland.

Thanks to Trustme and CWC for your help. I believe I have it all worked out now with another rider up in Auckland to hold my bike.
    I appreciate everyone's offers of help. It's real nice to have a community half way around the world which is there and willing to help out.
  20. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll put it here, so all the available guys would see it..,

I just had a deep and meaningful conversation with the missus, and am Sad to say that I cannot do next week!

We're leaving on monday and don't have time to drive Via Hamilton. Coming back sunday.

Shit happens. Luckily it's not too short notice, so we still have time to figure out something.

I don't know anything about the following week (your arrival 'Tshusband') yet, but will find out.

When is your flight in?