** The Official NZ FAQ Thread** Bike hire, trip planning, NZ info etc look here first

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by kiwipeet, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Tshusband

Tshusband Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MMM HMM, sounds like a case of your wife gently reminding you that you have had a family vacation planned for 6 months now :imaposer

My flight gets in on the 31st, so there is still time. The dealer is also trying to arrange transport for me as well. Something will turn up I'm sure. Of course I just don't want to wait until the last minute if possible.

Thanks for letting the others know too. Much appreciated.
  2. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What?!? Six months??? I heard about it the first time just yesterday! What do you mean I don't listen? I'm listening like no tomorrow!!!
    innathyzit likes this.
  3. hairnet

hairnet will travel for cake

Oddometer:
    wish id make up me mind

all flights booked (apart from taking friend to te papa from hamilton :D )

auck north shore round to thames then coromandel then down east coast to east cape

tauranga for a glider trip

milford sound in a plane

taupo and horopito

then chill for 3 days then home :D

already thinking about south island in 19 on a bought bike

is it only worth doing the east side of lake taupo???
  4. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Coromandel then East Cape is a good plan. If you want to get a little ADV return west via the Waikaremoana Road. Otherwise if you have the time continue on down the coast to Napier, then head east over the Napier-Taihape road which comes out ~40km southeast of Horopito.

If you have a spare day or 2 then there is lots to see west of Taupo, & some really run riding. My pick for a quick look ex Horopito would be to head down the Whanganui River road, hwy 3 up the coast, then back up via hwy 43. You could do that in a day, or make it an overnighter with a lap around Mt Taranaki. There are lots of cool little gravel backroads you can link up in this area too.

Heading North from New Plymouth & following the West coast as much as possible to Raglan is also great riding & very scenic but that may be harder to fit in if time is short.

Cheers
    Clint
  5. Tshusband

Tshusband Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys.
    I'm happy to say that the dealer was able to deliver the bike for me, door to door, Hamilton to Auckland, at no charge.
    So I'm all set. I appreciate folks trying to help me.
    Happy riding.
  6. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whoop Whoop!!!
  7. hairnet

Oddometer:
    clint

the man from delmonte he no to beaches - hot water will go walk on etc but not on bike :D

no unsealed road or beach :D

and its 35 days to go :D
  8. hairnet

Oddometer:
    thinking about going to wellington for the crickut :D

go kiwi
  9. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
    Hi, I am traveling to Auckland for a couple days in October. No bike, just vacation. Where do you recommend staying? What is there to do. No, probably not going to Hobbiton. Should I avoid Albert Park? City center the best place to stay? Safe areas to walk around at night? Thanks.
  10. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    A very broad question. Plenty to do. Plenty accommodation. Plenty safe.
    What sorts of things are you looking to do?
  11. vtwin

Oddometer:
    Hi, we only have a couple days, no car, so, public transportation. We like seeing historical parts of town, quaint areas for dining, touring harbor areas. Looking to stay around city center, but like San Francisco, would there would be places there I would suggest not staying around?
  12. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Suggest you stay in the centre then. You might see a few drunks at 2 in the morning but otherwise its pretty tame. There are some nice walks along the waterfront. Not much "quaint" in Auckland. Its a very young city. Central part is small enough to walk around.
    Plenty of restaurants. Tripadvisor is a good resource. Could maybe get out on a sailboat if the weathers nice which is a good way to see the place. The waterfront along past the Americas cup bases has lots of eateries and is a nice spot to relax and watch the sunset. Daylight saving ends first week in October i think so nice long evenings.
    vtwin likes this.
  13. vtwin

Oddometer:
    Thanks, been looking at TA for things to do. Waterfront sounds good.
  14. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Catch a ferry across to Devonport. Have a walk around the old gun emplacements at north head.
    vtwin likes this.
  15. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Just spotted this in an article about cities that rate highly on liveability & visit-ability:

AUCKLAND

THEY SAY Top-notch for its stable social and political environment and medical and health services, as well as for air and water quality.

WE SAY The city is lively and cosmopolitan, with fine museums and attractions and an impressive restaurant scene.

STRENGTHS A magnificent harbour setting, plus beaches and volcanic landscapes beyond the city, create a destination suited to outdoor pursuits.

WEAKNESSES Away from the water, Auckland veers towards the drab. The sprawling city can be traffic choked.

MUST DO Wander Auckland Domain (aucklandcouncil.govt.nz) and into the excellent Auckland War Memorial Museum (aucklandmuseum.com). Auckland Art Gallery (aucklandartgallery.com) has wonderful NZ landscape paintings and portraits. Seaside suburb Devonport (visitdevonport.co.nz) is worth the ferry ride.

GETTING AROUND Efficient buses and ferries link city and suburbs. Taxis can be hailed on the street.

ESSENTIALS Go in May or September. Stay in Viaduct Harbour for restaurants and nightlife. See aucklandnz.com

...although I've got no idea why May & Sept would be the best times to visit :dunno

Cheers
    Clint
    vtwin likes this.
  16. Micawberism

Micawberism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    May Sept, mate! Middle of spring middle of autumn. Too cold to swim at the polluted beaches but awesome fresh scenery or colours
  17. Voltaire

Voltaire Titanium and Ceramic Hipster

Oddometer:
    Really depends on what you want to do/see.
    Viaduct is good for looking at yachts, eating out and craft beer pubs.
    If you like wineries hop on the ferry and go to Waiheke for the day, its only 30 mins on Ferry, or go to Devonport.
    I took my Boss from Sydney out to Piha beach, wine tasting in Kumeu and lunch at Halerau Brewery, but you need a car for that.

Auckland is as safe as anywhere else I have been.
    If your into old cars and machinery MOTAT is not that far. http://www.motat.org.nz/visit/a-guide-to-motat/
    lots and lots of good coffee shops.
    You could walk up as far a Ponsonby, its as old as it gets here.
  18. vtwin

Oddometer:
    Thanks Voltaire, that sounds like a good place to visit.
  19. vtwin

Oddometer:
    It's beautiful here today.

20181022_214434.jpg

So far, we've been along Queen St. Via Duct, along the Harbor and to MOTAT. We still have tomorrow to catch a ferry for a day trip. Or maybe a train?
  20. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    You did pick the good weather, well done. If its like this tomorrow, I'd be on the Waiheke Ferry, maybe get a little taxi tour around the island first, then stop at one of the wineries that's walking distance from your ferry back to the city. Will be better than anywhere you will get to on the trains methinks.