** The Official NZ FAQ Thread** Bike hire, trip planning, NZ info etc look here first

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by kiwipeet, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Side_Kick

Side_Kick a.k.a. Consolation Prize

Oddometer:
    I have just read thru the entire thread and still have a few questions about a US foreigner buying a bike.
    Do we need any special drivers license?
    Are we able to get registration and insurance?
    Do we need a local to help us by using their address for this stuff or can we do it completely on our own?
    Do any inmates have a bike in storage they want to reasonably rent to another inmate?
    I am planning a trip in October 2020 and maxing out my visitors visa of 3 months.
  2. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    No.
    Yes
    You will need to use an NZ address for registration of the bike in your name. Could be an inmate, could be a dealer. Most things can be done on line.

A lot of us have n+1 disease so possibly someone will offer. Might help to say what bike you're after. And what you could offer in return? A few bike swaps have happened.

October Nov Dec would be the perfect time to visit. The other perfect time is Feb March April. May can be nice :)
    OneEyedJack likes this.
  3. Side_Kick

Oddometer:
    Thanks,
    Since I am not in a hurry and want to explore everything I can, I am looking for a street legal dualsport 250cc-650cc (nothing bigger than a DR650) that has been or can be set up for adventure. The smaller the better for me. I can offer a reciprocal bike loan in the US and/or some $$ and of course beer. I plan on bringing my own Mosko panniers and can also bring and leave frames and farkles to set it up as part of the deal.
  4. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Beer...the magic word. I suspect you will be successful.
  5. Tshusband

Tshusband Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A year and a half ago I purchased a used 500EXC online at Boyd Motorcycles in Hamilton. Dave Sawers was my salesman, and part owner I believe. The bike was being advertised online on Trademe. They agreed to a buyback option which worked out perfectly. I rode 2 out of 3 days of the Dusty Butt and rode for a month total. Sorry but I don't recall if he needed a locals name and address for registration or not. I knew someone up in Aukland, but don't remember if it needed to be registered in his name. Dave suggested an insurance company, I called them and purchased a one year, pay by the month policy, and cancelled it when my trip was finished, no problem at all. I would definitely recommend this route, it worked out spectacularly for me.
    I suggest you email or call Dave Sawer, he can fill you in on how it all works. His phone is +64 07 850 4522. Email: sales@boyds.co.nz
  6. Tshusband

Tshusband Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. Side_Kick

Oddometer:
    That's great info. Thanks Tshusband
  8. sethn

sethn bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrRRRRRRAPPPPPPPP

Oddometer:
    Aloha, anyone got moderator privs to edit @kiwipeet 's stickied post in this thread? Links aren't working, and makes it pretty hard for n00bs like me to use :-)

Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 1.18.59 AM.png
  9. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haven't seen Pete around for a long time (he still in Gizzy?)....the whole thing needs a major overhaul, even if the links to the posts were working, the info in the posts and further links are also somewhat outdated.
  10. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    I think we found just the man :lol3
  11. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    I just went and had a quick look. Most of the links in the first post worked, a few companies clearly out of business.

Seems Clint Nz has been pretty busy updated stuff here and there.

NZTA stuff still looks ok. Importing bikes doesn't seem to have changed much.

I'm not seeing a major overhaul more a bit of updating here and there.

Given that people planning trips generally don't read it anyway maybe not urgent:rofl
    glitch_oz likes this.
  12. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol2

Looks like the KTM-rental near Chch (was it Carsten?) has packed up, but the page has a forwarding link to some other "adv"-rental crowd.