** The Official NZ FAQ Thread** Bike hire, trip planning, NZ info etc look here first

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by kiwipeet, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Side_Kick

Side_Kick a.k.a. Consolation Prize

Oddometer:
    I have just read thru the entire thread and still have a few questions about a US foreigner buying a bike.
    Do we need any special drivers license?
    Are we able to get registration and insurance?
    Do we need a local to help us by using their address for this stuff or can we do it completely on our own?
    Do any inmates have a bike in storage they want to reasonably rent to another inmate?
    I am planning a trip in October 2020 and maxing out my visitors visa of 3 months.
  2. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    No.
    Yes
    You will need to use an NZ address for registration of the bike in your name. Could be an inmate, could be a dealer. Most things can be done on line.

A lot of us have n+1 disease so possibly someone will offer. Might help to say what bike you're after. And what you could offer in return? A few bike swaps have happened.

October Nov Dec would be the perfect time to visit. The other perfect time is Feb March April. May can be nice :)
    OneEyedJack likes this.
  3. Side_Kick

Oddometer:
    Thanks,
    Since I am not in a hurry and want to explore everything I can, I am looking for a street legal dualsport 250cc-650cc (nothing bigger than a DR650) that has been or can be set up for adventure. The smaller the better for me. I can offer a reciprocal bike loan in the US and/or some $$ and of course beer. I plan on bringing my own Mosko panniers and can also bring and leave frames and farkles to set it up as part of the deal.
  4. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Beer...the magic word. I suspect you will be successful.
  5. Tshusband

Tshusband Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A year and a half ago I purchased a used 500EXC online at Boyd Motorcycles in Hamilton. Dave Sawers was my salesman, and part owner I believe. The bike was being advertised online on Trademe. They agreed to a buyback option which worked out perfectly. I rode 2 out of 3 days of the Dusty Butt and rode for a month total. Sorry but I don't recall if he needed a locals name and address for registration or not. I knew someone up in Aukland, but don't remember if it needed to be registered in his name. Dave suggested an insurance company, I called them and purchased a one year, pay by the month policy, and cancelled it when my trip was finished, no problem at all. I would definitely recommend this route, it worked out spectacularly for me.
    I suggest you email or call Dave Sawer, he can fill you in on how it all works. His phone is +64 07 850 4522. Email: sales@boyds.co.nz
  6. Tshusband

Tshusband Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. Side_Kick

Oddometer:
    That's great info. Thanks Tshusband