The Official RT Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Hondo, Apr 28, 2010.

1. CJSRider

CJSRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I added them to my 2012 RT. No issue with foot slipping. I have no issue with the rear brake. The shift lever is a little high but it does not bother me with my motorcycle boots. When I have other shoes of sometimes at the start of the ride I miss a shift and then I adjust my shift do to the extra room above my toe.

Never have dragged a peg with these.
  2. pcoburn

pcoburn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just added KD lowered pegs on my 2011 and have only been out for a few shorter rides so far (~150 miles each.) A couple of initial thoughts. I do notice and find the extra legroom more comfortable, but I'll need to go on some longer rides to be sure. I adjusted the rear brake as much as I could with the stock stopper bolt and it is still a little high for me, but not enough to worry about it. At some point I might try a longer stopper bolt but not sure how much adjustment I have left in the master cylinder rod (I think there's still some left though.). For the shifter, it was way too high for me after the first ride so I moved it 1 spline down. I don't remember where I read it, but all I did was remove the e-torx bolt on the shifter (completely remove it), pushed the splined rod out the back of the shifter, rotated the shifter down one notch and slid it back on. No need to remove anything else like the footpeg bracket, etc. For me this has put it back in the right spot.
  3. phlazm

phlazm ad maiora nati sumus

Oddometer:
    I also added KD pegs on my 2011. At 6’2” it makes a huge difference for such a small change. No issues cornering and I don’t feel the loss of the rubber mounting. Brake adjustment was fine for me but that is obviously just preference.
  4. Grafspee

Grafspee one bike is never enough

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input guys - I think the KD pegs will be the way to go. At 5'10" with about a 33" inseam I'm ok for about 200 miles or so with the stock pegs. My last big bike was an F800GS with a taller saddle so it had more legroom. It was super comfortable all day long. A little additional legroom should make a big difference.

Picked up a slightly used OEM BMW tankbag today for a reasonable price. It is a little larger than I wanted but man I like the way it mounts! The next project is getting my Garmin Zumo GPS mounted.
  5. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. phlazm

phlazm ad maiora nati sumus

Oddometer:
    I had a similar setup and ended up getting the KD anyway. They lowered the pegs but also pushed them outward slightly and it drove me nuts. Then again I’m annoyingly picky. First world problems...
  7. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, they do, do that. I have to admit it's slightly annoying, but nothing horrible. The worst part is the brake pedal is now too short. However, that's easily remedied by moving my foot to apply the brake.
  8. skypoke

skypoke 2015 KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    Got a question for the brain trust.....have pretty well decided a 2010-2013 RT checks the boxes for me. I'm hoping you guys can give me some insight into the lowered option. I don't need a lowered bike, and wondering what it would take connvert one to a std. height? I take it the lowered bikes don't have ESA, but all things being equal how would you contrast an RT with new Wilburs or Ohlins without ESA to a RT with original ESA? Does ESA auto adjust to conditions on the fly, similar to skyhook, or is it merely a convenient way to adjust suspension without tools? I 'preciate your insights.
  9. Grafspee

Grafspee one bike is never enough

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestion. I used to really like the Marsee stuff years ago. I think they came out with the first sloped tankbags like you see on ADV bikes now. They also made a tail bag that was designed specifically to fit my 1999 BMW F650 Funduro. Good Stuff! Thought they would have stuck around longer than they did. I picked up a really nice used OEM tank bag for about a 3rd of the price. It is bigger than I wanted but the mounting base gives me the option of mounting a different tankbag to it - if I can't live with the large OEM bag. I have run really large tankbags in the past - so it doesn't bother me being in front of my chest when I ride - it is I typically don't put as much stuff there as I used to. Anyway I'm going to try it for awhile and see how it works out.
    JackalHack likes this.
  10. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    - It'll take std height shocks, std height center stand and std height side stand;
    - There's no comparison btw custom shocks and OE one-size-fits-all ESA - custom shocks are the way to go especially on ~10 yo bike;
    - No for the generation of the bikes you're looking at - it does for newer D-ESA equipped LC bikes (Dynamic ESA);
    - yes;

Before you get the bike, it may not be bad idea to download owner manual from BMW and get familiar with it so you "arm" yourself w knowledge... :thumb
  11. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    IIRC, the lowered version of that bike (by year range) had a different lower subframe to achieve the lower seat height. I don't remember if the lowered version came with ESA or not. Again, IIRC, the ESA does adapt the ride without sensors, and the settings have to be changed with the bike at a stop and not moving.
  12. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Negatory... The frame is the same p# for both std and low RT - other components are different btw the std and low RT, see my post above... :deal
  13. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    I recently was looking at buying a 2013 and rode the particular bike at my leisure on roads of my choice to check the 48,000 mile ESA II suspension against my 2007 with non-ESA YSS shocks a few months old. Right away I felt my 07 was much better with shocks set up for my weight and damping adjusted by me for me. When I retrieved my 07 from the '13's owner (we swapped bikes for a day and he rode mine home while I put 100 miles on his) the first thing he asked me was "what suspension is in your hexhead?, it's great."
  14. skypoke

skypoke 2015 KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    Ah, this is sounding good, thank you Lead Wrist and Dduellin. Cant help but think, as you state, a dialed in suspension for my specs would be superior. So, my simplistic plan would be to replace rear shock and telelever strut with components configured for my weight/riding style thus reconfiguring the bike for my height, weight and riding preferences. Am I overlooking anything, any devil in the details? No deal killers associated with the factory low suspension?
  15. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    ^ If you overlook anything, the parts are readily available at the dealers so you should be able to do what you plan to...
  16. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I took a poke around the subframe is the same, but the suspension is different between the standard and low version and it does appear to be ESA on the lowered version. I knew I remembered something was different.
  17. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Not sure which parts fiche you looked at, Max shows 3 different manual non-ESA rear shocks (low, non-ESA ie. non-police version, not sure what 3rd is) and only one ESA rear shock, which should be std height... :hmmmmm
  18. 2up ADV

2up ADV Nature’s Neat Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to report back about the Mitas touring force tires. I still think the grip is good and they transition through different lean angles well, BUT . I have right around 2000 miles on them and they seem to be wearing rather quickly.
    20201219_162633.jpg 20210603_205133.jpg
    The tread that is there is still kinda deep but I wouldn't think the center would be so worn out :scratch
    ausfahrt likes this.
  19. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rented a 2006 several years ago, I noticed it got pretty vibey above 70mph.

Did they improve this is later years? Looking at 2010, maybe higher if it’s worth it.
  20. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    Yes, but it’s a pleasant vibe. A comfortable cadence. I’m ridden 2007s, 2010s and 2013s. The 2010 - 2013s might be marginally smoother but a boxer has a particular loping cadence that is part of the package.