The Official RT Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Hondo, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    So the 2014’s are noticeably better?
  2. CJSRider

CJSRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a CamHead (2010-2013) I there is a little vibration that I do not even notice. I only noticed if after test riding a K1600. I do have weighted bar ends, they were on there when I bought the bike used so I don't know if they were added. I do not notice vibration going down the interstate, but if I roll on the throttle, I will feel some, but it does not bother me. It's part of the bikes character. Some of the Honda's I had in the past with smooth engines the bike were kind of boring.
    dduelin and Drop_Center like this.
  3. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    Not to me but I’ve only had short rides on a 2015.
  4. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    I believe so. I've been on RTs since the 80's and switched to a GT after having an '04 for a couple years, just because it was so smooth. I test rode a '15 RT and have gone back, wet heads are much smother, the clutch and transmission are awesome, they rock. Another data point, keep an eye on the number of final drive failures for the wet heads compared to older boxers with the final drive on the left side.
  5. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    I have a 2009 and was getting a lot of vibration in the grips. Changed out tires which helped a lot, still get a little. I have the foam wraps around the drips and that also helps a lot too.
  6. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the process of getting my 2008 1200RT back on the road after a few years in storage, so I need some suggestions as to which tires to buy. The Metzelers currently on it aren't even made any longer, or I'd just order a new set. I'm looking for long wear touring tires at a reasonable price, so if anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears. :ear

Also, I noticed that the independent shop I used to bring my wheels/tires to is no longer in business, so I need to find another shop. Assuming I find another one, what should I expect to pay just to have the tires mounted and balanced if I bring them the wheels and tires? The local BMW dealership wants $100 per tire, so I obviously won't be going there. :nah
  7. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    ^ Michelin Pilot Road 4/5 GT should be on your shopping list but there are many others as well...

Price for tire installation varies by very wide margin - ~$50 per wheel (if you bring loose wheels/tires) is frequently an average although it could go lower or higher depending on location...

You may want to check the shops around for tires as some may give you better price if you buy tires from them and have them installed there as well... :thumb
    JackalHack likes this.
  8. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    I've been very happy with the Dunlop Road Smart 3 on several bikes, and now have the new Road Smart 4 on my RT now.
    mikeysduck and Aurelius like this.
  9. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestion. I just ordered a set from J&P Cycles. They were $150 cheaper than the Michelin Pilots. :clap
  10. Florida Lime

Oddometer:
    I found them to be cheaper than most of the alternatives, and they always lasted 50% longer than the Pirelli Angel GTs for me.
  11. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the question of long life, does anyone have a reliable method of telling when rubber gets too old to provide adequate grip? The tires currently on my RT look like they're in really good shape, but they're five years old now, and I've been warned that they're no longer road worthy.
  12. Florida Lime

Oddometer:
    Scientifically ? Probably, using a durometer to measure the hardness of the rubber on the old tire compared to a new tire.

As long as there isn't any cracking on the sidewall, or between the tread blocks, I'd try riding it to see. But I plug tires after a flat, and lots of people say not to do that either. :lol3
    JackalHack likes this.
  13. Yukon Ho!

Yukon Ho! Next up: Alaska Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ordered Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT's last night, they were only $60 more than the Dunlops, including tax.
  14. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hell, I've had as many as three plugs in a tire and still rode Deal's Gap with it. :D
    JackalHack likes this.
  15. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    And per mile of use probably come out cheaper.
    Yukon Ho! likes this.
  16. Florida Lime

Oddometer:
    Not from my experiences, but you do yours. :D
  17. phlazm

phlazm ad maiora nati sumus

Oddometer:
    What is your preference for plugs? I’m planning an Iron Butt and want to be prepared for all possibilities.
  18. TLtrials

TLtrials Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I keep one each of these in the pannier on both my RT and 1290 SAR.

I got a nail in the rear tire on a saddle sore 1000 once, fixed in 5 min and back on the road.

F450AE02-1C9F-4185-97E5-C4D38CB3DC02.png 01ADC38B-F50F-477F-9BAE-626AC2EE80C9.png
    Aurelius and phlazm like this.
  19. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just use the ordinary sticky string type found in any auto parts store. I've never had any problem with them on my cars and motorcycles, and they're cheaper than the alternatives. When I was in Britain, there was GS owner who had a hole so large that it took three of these sticky string plugs to seal it, and he rode the bike like that until the tire wore out.
    phlazm, Florida Lime and JackalHack like this.
  20. JackalHack

JackalHack Perpetually confused Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will credit Revzilla with this picture:
    revzilla.png
    Can't do THAT with any of the other types...

Ryan F9 also had a comparo video of plugging kits - (spoiler) the sticky rope won out.
    mitchapalooza, phlazm and TonyKZ1 like this.