The Official RT Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Hondo, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    The strap wrench didn't work. It won't insert deeply enough to get a firm grip on the filter, and the handle gets in the way if you try to slide it down further. I'm going to try the old screw driver trick tomorrow. I think the strap wrench will work well enough to insert the new filter, and could have gotten the old one out if whoever put it in hadn't severely over tightened it.
  2. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a slightly different version of the screw driver trick in mind. One that doesn't require punching a hole all the way through. I'm going to create the hole with a drill so as not to deform the filter, in case it doesn't work.

I was surprised to find that the oil that came out looked pretty clean, not at all like the black soup I expected. No sediment in it either.
    JackalHack likes this.
  3. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh no, hanging the bike from the rafter would be a crazy thing to attempt. I imagined it pretty much as you described, but my concern was about bumping into the bike and having the center stand fold up, causing the bike to drop and instantly transferring all it's weight to the rafter. I had that happen to my 1150GS while inserting a plug into the rear tire. That was all the pressure it took to push it off it's center stand, causing it to fall over on it's side.
  4. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you wish......there are some automotive filters that work as an alternative to the proprietary BMW oil filters. They stick out a little further, but a conventional filter wrench will work. Just letting you know.
  5. JackalHack

JackalHack Perpetually confused Supporter

Oddometer:
    Reckon that @Aurelius wanted to get the work done sooner rather than later and wait for the correct tool. I have the BMW filter wrench that fits the Mahle 619 filter for the RT. I also bought the Lisle 63600 filter tool for those instances where I don't have it "just right."
  6. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a decent grip on the filter this morning using the strap type filter wrench. The problem is that whoever put this oil filter in severely over torqued it. It's almost like it's welded in place. I went ahead and ordered the Mahle filter wrench rather than trying to hammer a screwdriver through it and possibly damaging the engine case.
  7. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, other than replacing the filter, the bike is ready to go to the dealership and have the two recall items fixed. I wanted to do all the other servicing before that so that I might be able to ride next weekend, but that isn't going to happen now. :rolleyes
  8. TLtrials

TLtrials Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If one is the fuel pump recall, you may want to check with the dealer before taking it, the dealer I use said they had over 500 on back order for my specific fuel pump (my bike is a 2013 90th Anniversary R1200RT), and just to get back with them in a few months, unless it was spewing gas out of the quick connect/assembly.

I am going to let mine ride until winter to have fixed, unless it starts leaking of course.
  9. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    My fuel pump started spewing gasoline on the last group ride. I didn't even notice it until someone else pointed to the puddle of gasoline forming by my left foot while we were waiting at a stoplight. :uhoh The other item was a "final drive flange", whatever that is, and a failed fuel level sensor. All these parts had to be ordered weeks in advance, but the dealership called last Thursday to tell me they had arrived. My ABS is also on the fritz, but I've had it fail on all three of my BMW's, so I may not bother having it repaired. It's very expensive to fix, and it will just fail again.
  10. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    No
    No wonder we have the reputation we have in the rider community. Get a steel one for $12 from the Beemershop or Amazon, tell your buddies you got it from Wunderlich, and go burn $48 in gas.
    Madman4049 and jcwvfr like this.
  11. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, I nearly fainted when I saw the price of that Wunderlich part. :yikes I ordered a stamped steel one made by Mahle for about twelve bucks.
    Madman4049 and JackalHack like this.
  12. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Mahle makes different kinds of oil filters thus they need different kind of oil filter wrenches...

Wunderlich blue wrench I linked earlier isn't the only one that works w OE BMW filters (made by Mahle) for Hex/Camheads, and maybe few other platforms, but it is one I do know for sure it works as I have one...

Hope you picked up the correct oil filter wrench for the oil filter on your bike... :thumb
  13. TLtrials

TLtrials Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Uggghhh, yeah I hope mine doesn’t aren’t having issues until they get the stock replenished. The parts guy at the Greensboro NC dealer says it would be a while before they start getting any in and have a long list of folks to get them.
  14. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's entirely possible at the previous oil filter change whoever did it failed to lubricate the gasket and that's the source of your issue, as well as probably went full gorilla mode on the install. :D
  15. pcoburn

pcoburn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a quick report after a couple of hot weather rides with the California Scientific “shorty” windshield. Definitely much more comfortable in the 90 degree heat (and humidity) today than with the stock windshield on my 2011. I even did a few miles on the highway at around 80 and it seemed like pretty clean air with the shield all the way up. Obviously it won’t provide the same protection against rain, but I’m willing to take that compromise to be more comfortable in the summer. Only 6 screws if I decide to head out on a long ride and want the added protection.

Specs are here (last one on the page) - https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/R1200RTprod.html
  16. Airhead Steve

Airhead Steve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It a lot of thinking and looking (maybe I'm not that smart after all) it was the ground wire to the battery touching the panel that was messing it up. All fixed now.
    Kawidad likes this.
  17. C Squared

C Squared Now without TURBO! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Filters. On my new to me this year 07, I am about to do my first oil change. PO gave me a filter. It is a KandN. Has a 17 mm fitting welded to the bottom. I have a Bosch on the shelf from my old k bike. I'm thinking I'll just buy the K and N filters from now on. Once had to take the bottom of my old K Bikes engine off the remove the stuck and mangled filter.
  18. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Don't be hard on yourself - battery limited space availability and cable orientation do make fitting the battery a chore...
    Florida Lime and Airhead Steve like this.
  19. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    You may want to rethink that approach as K&N filter nut is known to separate from the filter making filter removal very difficult...

OE/Mahle filters and appropriate wrench, due to limited oil filter access on Hex/Camheads, are better and more reliable solution - ymmv...
    Airhead Steve and wvpc1 like this.
  20. JackalHack

JackalHack Perpetually confused Supporter

Oddometer:
    Used them for years and never had this happen. :dunno

Granted, not in hex/cam head...