The Official RT Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Hondo, Apr 28, 2010.

1. smoky

smoky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve got one from my RT days, you can have it for the cost of shipping. PM me.
    rizzo27 likes this.
  2. rizzo27

rizzo27 Next!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll shoot you a pm...
  3. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    So this was a great day, as I just got my RT back from BMW of Orlando. :clap

To my surprise I discovered that it has four spark plugs instead of only two. Were all RT's of that generation that way, or did some of them use only two plugs? I asked the service tech about this but he wasn't sure.
  4. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dual spark heads came into play around 2003. My old 04 1150GS was one of first to have them. Helped with the off idle surging.

Rick G
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    1150 Twinspark to the Camhead, 4 plugs. The Wethead went back to two.
    sodapop and JackalHack like this.
  6. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yah, I knew about the 1150's, but mine is a 1200RT built in 2008. I didn't think any of the 1200's were dual spark. :scratch
  7. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe all boxers since have had dual sparks.

Rick G
  8. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    R12 Hex/Camhead yes - R1200/R1250 LC no... :thumb
  9. phlazm

phlazm ad maiora nati sumus

Oddometer:
    I have found two used ones on craigslist just by watching every so often. The more beat up the cheaper, but the plastic BMW uses fades in the sun so I wouldn't bother with a new one. I refused to pay more than $100 so I waited a long time.

I have seen one where someone used the base of the BMW bag and mounted a newer bag on top. Seemed nice which is why I picked up a beat one for to try it later.

I will say this is the only tank bag I use. Any other one wasn't worth the hasn't or micro scratches to my paint. This is far and away the best solution I've ever seen despite its flaws (fading plastic mostly).
    rizzo27 likes this.
  10. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, might make economic sense to upgrade to an LC then, so that I can save money on spark plugs. :lol3
  11. CdnGS

CdnGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went from a hexhead to camhead to 1200 wethead. Each generation of bike/engine is better. I have not owned a 1250 wethead (yet).
  12. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I just got back from my very first ride on the RT in years. I fully expected that my skillz would return in a matter of minutes, but I was in for quite a shock. It felt like riding a motorcycle for the first time. :uhoh

Good thing I took the precaution of using an empty mall parking lot as my place to practice, because I seem to have forgotten even basic things like how to shift gears smoothly. I used to rave about the easy handling and natural cornering ability of the 'R' bikes, but after years of riding only road/mountain bikes, the RT felt like pushing a 2000 lb weight through the turns. I also started to get cramps in both hips, most likely due to having my legs splayed out to the sides by the large gas tank. Hard to imagine now that I rode this bike for nine hours to Deals Gap without any discomfort. It's good that I remember what a glorious bike the RT is to ride when I had the requisite skills, because if this had been my first exposure to motorcycles, I would have given up any thought of ever buying one.

And what's up with this horrendous heat and humidity? Jezus, I thought I was going to pass out from it. :knary Florida in the Summer is definitely not where you want to be as a motorcyclist. :grim
  13. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    As a Florida native the heat/humidity doesn't bother me much and doesn't keep me from riding but I do know riding buddies that ride very little between June and November.

Yes, skills are perishable. When Trailer Week rolls around in March I cringe at the number of riders on the road around Daytona that haven't ridden in months and some are mixing alcohol in the deal. No wonder each year a few go back up north in a box.
  14. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    It does make a lot of sense to upgrade to LC especially R1250RT. That's the finest example (currently, until R1300RT is released) of German Engineered R boxer motorcycle you'll find out-there... :deal
  15. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    And let's not forget that a new LC will pay for itself due to having two less spark plugs to replace. Eventually... :D
    JackalHack likes this.
  16. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    After 34 years here, I'm considered a Florida native by local standards. But having been off the bike for so long, I forgot how hot it gets inside a helmet and full riding suit in July. I suppose one solution is just to ride in shorts and flip-flops like so many others do. :dunno
    JackalHack likes this.
  17. skeptic

skeptic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What are non-BMW Alternator Belts for 2008 RT?
  18. rockitcity

rockitcity Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I checked with a dealer about a year ago, and he said there was only one in stock in the US, so I figured it's probably gone by now. The last of the bikes that used the tank rails was 2013, so I'd be surprised if BMW is still making them. Could be wrong though.
  19. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    I couldn't said it better myself... :deal

If you haven't, you should consider a career in selling fine German Engineered BMW motorcycles so you can get more and more peeps to appreciate what fine motorcycles are made in Germany. :thumb
  20. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Usually, when a BMW part/accessory isn't available any more, there's note in the parts fiche diagrams reflecting that fact.

When I checked the other day, there were no such notes thus tank bag is "readily" available. If there are none in US warehouse, that'd mean the bag would have to come from Germany which may be 2-3 weeks away the most but not no-longer-available for sure...

Either way, there are options available out-there... :thumb