The Official RT Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Hondo, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Continental / Contitech Part #4PK592ELAST (which corresponds to required 582mm length) - you may be able to find an equivalent replacement by different make...
  2. 2up ADV

2up ADV Nature’s Neat Supporter

Oddometer:
    647453641-01.jpeg 20210709_204144.jpg
    Just put some fresh suspension under the 2007 RT. Rides like new maybe even a little better, thanks toTed Porters Beemer shop. Wife said it felt like we were floating. I hope so we are leaving for a 3000 mile round trip .
    SilentRay and bowtie39 like this.
  3. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    ATGATT doesn't allow me the choice of flip flops and shorts.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  4. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Airhead Steve likes this.
  5. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, this is freakin' amazing! I don't know how it happened, but all my riding skillz seem to have returned overnight. I didn't realize it until I exited my neighborhood and noticed that I'd just negotiated two sharp S-turns without even having to think about it. After that, riding felt just as natural as it did in the old days. Looks like I'll be going on that group ride tomorrow after all! :clap

No pains in my hip joints either. I was probably so nervous to be back on the bike yesterday that I was subconsciously squeezing my legs against the gas tank, or something. Hopefully that's all gone now.
    mikes'gs likes this.
  6. cookiemech

cookiemech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of when I bought my first Harley (2007 Road King), after riding Japanese, BMW, Guzzi, Triumph, and everything else beforehand for 28 years. Rode it six miles home and my thigh muscles hurt for days from squeezing the tank so hard. The footboards made me feel as though I didn't actually have full control of the bike.

Within a week, it felt very natural. My 2017 Road King is an absolute sweetheart.

Glad you're back!
    Aurelius likes this.
  7. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got my current 2008 RT from a forum member who wanted to trade it for my 2010 Road King. I'd only had the Road King for about six months, but it was completely the wrong kind of bike for me, and I was happy to get rid of it. Probably the best deal I ever made. :thumb
  8. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I just returned from Sky Motorsports, which was kind enough to let me test ride the latest R1250GS. It was a big improvement over my R1150GS, with much greater overall refinement, smooth as silk suspension, and a lot more power. As good as it is, it was definitely not worth the eye popping $29,000 they were asking for it. But to be fair, a chunk of that was the special paint job, GPS, and hard bags, all of which I can do without. :deal
    SilentRay likes this.
  9. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    3300 mile update on my 2020 RT. I am bonding with the bike fairly well. Definitely the best bike I have owned. Way more competent than me! However there are a few annoyances. I have spoken about the useless factory radio. I have it solved by using my phone for music and XM and connecting to GPS, using my Bluetooth Shure SE215's. Perhaps I will look into removing it to save weight and to add some cubby holes where speakers are. Does anyone make a kit?

I am getting the knack using the quick shifter, though I still blow those once in a while. Learning when to use and when not to. Wide open throttle and snick, snick, snick without clutch is fun! Of course you are now triple digits!!

I currently have a love hate relationship with the Hill Hold function. Sometimes forgetting it is on and over revving trying to get moving.

As a mile muncher it is superb!! The Sargent Saddle just adds to the built in comfort of bike. I love the electric windscreen! I use it all the time to adjust airflow as needed. Higher on the highway, lower on 2 lane roads and full down for city. Haven't been in a good rain, kind of looking forward to it. Just some light drizzle so far and of course protection was good. This is the first bike I have owned that makes highway treks tolerable. Cruise control is essential!!

Perhaps my bike will smooth out a bit, but I swear that my 2011 Camhead Roadster is smoother at highway speeds. I get more vibration through the grips than on the Roadster. Does it smooth out some with miles? Are my valves out? I put Grip Puppies on and they helped.

Acceleration on this bike is just plain stupid fun! Touring bikes like this should not accelerate like a sport bike, but I am glad it does!!! Definitely the fastest bike I have owned. Pretty sure it would win a 1/4 mile race against my old Ducati ST3 which was my fastest bike to date. Wouldn't be surprised if the RT has a higher top speed too.

Looks wise, I would say it is the 2nd best looking stock bike I have owned just behind that ST3 which was gorgeous! Have to admit I like the overall look of my Camhead Roadster with Trophy Fairing and other goodies I have added a bit more. I really am a roadster guy! But the RT is very handsome and receives many compliments.

Question for Wethead owners. What kind of tire mileage are you getting?

Rick G
    Ride1st, De-Silva and Yukon Ho! like this.
  10. De-Silva

De-Silva Been around a while....

Oddometer:
    Hey Rick! Glad to see you are enjoying the bike... I am too! I have put on about 4500 miles so far and still find the 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gear shift CLUNKY AS HELL if I am getting on the gas... very very annoying compared to my Supertenere which shifted like butter!

I put on Grip puppies too, they help a lot... just a small point to take care... if they move or "expand" a bit on to the bar ends, the throttle sticks a bit! Mine was not returning to throttle zero position and the dealer pointed it out to me... lesson learned.

I have the UP part of the quickshifter down but not yet the down part... (i know that reads funny!!) :-)

I have been in a metric shit ton of rain already... and I can tell you that there is probably no other bike that is better in the rain than this one...

I LOVE the Hill hold! It is one of those things that you didn't know would be so helpful, especially at traffic lights where you can stand up and stretch a bit without worrying about holding the brakes.

This is hands down, the best looking bike I have owned... the profile view is just brilliant. In terms of tires, my stock OEM tires were done at 6K... I have PR5 GTs on now... but have slabbed a lot and if I get another 6K out of them, I will be happy. I have RS3's in my garage waiting to go on next...

Cheers!
    Rick G likes this.
  11. rizzo27

rizzo27 Next!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone have front and rear heated Sargent seats or similar they want to sell before I drop the big bucks on a new set? This is for a 05-13 RT. Thanks
  12. Rick G

Oddometer:
    DeSilva, glad you are enjoying yours as well.

I have found that using the quick shifter for down shifts requires a closed throttle. Works best while decelerating rather than a quick down shift for accelerating. When exiting a highway off ramp, as you slow down with closed throttle, you can just snick down from 5th-4th-3rd. Unlike the upshifts where you can leave the throttle wide open, down shifts seem to work better with closed throttle.

Another thing....

I had bought a set of Illium bar risers in anticipation of needing them based on so many reports, but I am pretty happy with the stock set up. They are just sitting on my shelf, if anyone is interested, let me know. They are very lightly used by previous owner. I purchased off of our fleabay market.

I am in the process of planning a big trip on my RT next spring after I retire. Can't wait!!

Rick G
    De-Silva likes this.
  13. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Don't be so hard on yourself... :lol3

Good to hear that the honeymoon is still long lasting and you're enjoyin' yer Couch Rockit... :D

As for bike's lack of perceived smoothness, it's hard to say at 3300 mi - that's not even broken in bike yet... :deal
    Keep working at it going through RPM range bottom to the rev limiter, and you can revisit the valves etc at 6K mi service although they're do for checking at 12K mi... :beer
  14. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Downshifts should take place with throttle completely closed like 0 (zero) open. :deal

Except 2->1, all downshifts should work well w throttle closed - ymmv... :thumb
  15. Rick G

Oddometer:
    Definitely buzzier than my Camhead Roadster at higher RPM's. Even cruising at 70 on interstate, a bit more buzz that I like. Hoping it smooths out. Perhaps the throttle bodies are slightly out of synch. When I take in for 6000 mile service I will have them check. The tech where I take my Roadster is very good! My Roadster is smooth as silk!!

Rick G
  16. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Keep enjoying the Rockit and don't worry about it - it's all a-ok... :D

LCs have drive/ride-by-wire so no throttle body syncing like Camheads. There may be a engine software rev. needed but you'll get to it at your next maintenance milestone at 6K mi... :thumb
  17. Rick G

Oddometer:
    Did I mention how much fun it is to run up through the gears after a normal clutch upshift and then WFO, never letting up on throttle and utilizing quick shifter to snick, snick snick into 5th! Yes, we are going a buck 20 and still pulling hard!! Damn that is fun!!

Also fun is coming up on a slower vehicle on a 2 lane road, close throttle, snick down a gear or two with out clutch, you are on the pipe now. You wait for your moment, nail the throttle, as you pass the vehicle, you snick it up a gear keeping the throttle WFO and you pass takes all of a second and a half, but of course you are now triple digits and need to coast back down to reasonable speed with a huge shit eating grin! So this is what the sport bike guys have been experiencing all these years? I do believe Couch Rocket is the proper name for this beast!

[​IMG]

And NO, I am not getting rid of my Roadster, my motorcycle soul mate!

Rick G
  18. Rick G

Oddometer:
    One area where the RT is smoother than Roadster is low speed fueling. My Roadster you have to feather the clutch more to get smooth take off and for parking lot speeds. The RT may have the smoothest clutch to date. They really did their homework when switching to ride by wire after years of complaints of low speed sputters and surging.

Rick G
  19. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Abso-friggin'-lutely... Overtaking slower moving vehicles on 2-lane roads is what I enjoy the most - often times w/o even downshifting... :clap

As good as Camheads were, LCs have taken R-boxer riding experience at whole nuther much higher level... :beer
  20. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    The clutch is most underutilized component of my LC... :D