The Official RT Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Hondo, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    You should be able to get Camhead easier on the CS than LC as the CS placement was closer to the right front/rear balance point - or so it is my experience, ymmv...

LCs did gain weight due to extra rads/airbox/ducts so it'll be more than just cases that have contributed to the higher weight.

Good news is that the LC's weight disappears as you get rolling and there's much more oomph out of LC engine to help with added weight. LC feels amazingly agile and can be hassled pretty darn good in the hands of competent riders... :thumb
  2. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    Use of a center stand shouldn't involve lifting any meaningful amount, however BMW is worse than most when it comes to designing center stands and has been for decades. The technique is using the muscles in your leg to push down on the lever arm on the center stand. I'm a light weight at 150 lbs and pop my Goldwing up on the stand with less effort than my Hexhead.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  3. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone using the Helite Airbag Vest/Jacket with the tether on a LC R12RT?

If so, can you tell me where you secure the loop end of the tether under the seat?
  4. boduke

boduke Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 2015 RT and was amazed at how easy it went up on the center stand, I can even do it barefoot.
    My comparison is a KTM SMT that is about 150 pounds lighter.
    nevada72 likes this.
  5. cookiemech

cookiemech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's what I did on my 2015 RT. Hope the photo makes it clear.

Then I routed the tether under the left-side rubber seat support and brought it up at the center of the seat.
    View attachment 3089596

Attached Files:

6. nevada72

nevada72 Milwaukeeish

Oddometer:
    Same. My 2016 RT is waaaaaay easier than my 71 R75/5. No comparison.

Here's my bike btw. Just got it last week. I really like it. It's next to one of the bikes I traded in. The other was a Street Glide. I'm thinning the herd and the RT is a great "best of both worlds" choice - speed and comfort.

IMG-0031.jpg
    Gone Troppo, Florida Lime and TonyKZ1 like this.
  7. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is what I had concluded would work best too, thank you for posting!
  8. spanky

spanky Well, maybe....

Oddometer:
    Sold my beloved '02 RT last week. After an almost 20 year absence from riding, it was my "re-entry" bike and has provided me with countless memories and experiences. I've ridden it as far south as Mississippi and to within a few miles of Canuckistan and everywhere in between. I needed to reduce the stable with the intent of buying a bike that will most likely take me deep into my retired years.....you know....up until the day I realize it's best to stop riding. It went to (I hope) a good home and will be ridden by someone who appreciates what he got.

Montana
    [​IMG]
    Colorado (Gunnison)
    [​IMG]
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    California (Sierra Nevada's)
    [​IMG]
    Atop Wilkerson Pass, CO, Pike's Peak is in the distant background.
    [​IMG]
    Utah
    [​IMG]
    Haulin' ass in northern Nevada
    [​IMG]
  9. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today I test rode three bikes: a Honda CBR1000RR, a Ducati Supersport 950, and a BMW S1000XR.

I was pretty sure I wouldn't much care much for the CBR, but I wanted to see if it's massive horsepower would somehow make up for it's torture rack ergonomics. It didn't. :nono But aside from the uncompromising ergos, I really have no complaints about the CBR; it does exactly what it was designed to do, no more or less. The thing that really surprised me was just how tightly the rider's legs have to be folded up to get your feet on the pegs. My thighs and calves especially have become very muscular from years of sprint training on a bicycle, and there was no way to position myself to prevent serious discomfort. Maybe motorcycle racers have scrawny little legs, who knows. :dunno

The BMW surprised me, but not in a good way. For starters, the seat was much too high -- much higher than the one on the 1250GS I test rode last week, which I could easily flatfoot. Power delivery wasn't nearly as impressive as I had assumed it would be, given that it's basically a naked S1000RR. Maybe it's been detuned, but that's not what the sales guy told me. :patch Make no mistake, it's still fast enough to get you in serious trouble, and totally in another league compared to my 1200RT. The precise steering of the CBR1000RR wasn't there though, nor was I particularly impressed with anything else about it.

The Ducati wasn't even a bike I was there to test ride. My Ducati days are far behind me, and I'm not in the mood for another adventure with "Mediterranean engineering". Still, something I must have said to the sales guy must have made him think he'd be able to sell me one, so by the time I got back from my test ride on the BMW, there was the Ducati with the motor already running, ready for me to hop aboard. Right away I realized that I shouldn't have been so quick to dismiss it. The ergos are excellent for the type of sporty bike it is. It didn't have the distinctive sound of my 900SS, but that's mostly because of the dry clutch, which Ducati seems to have abandoned. It did have a more inspiring exhaust note than anything I'd ridden recently though, and it really comes on strong when you roll the throttle open. It was very nimble in the turns, much better in this respect than either the CBR or BMW, and felt very light. The sales guy said it weighed something like 450 lbs, but I'm not sure whether that's dry or wet weight. Regardless, it felt by far the easiest of the three to make tight turns with. No super-heavy clutch like my 900SS, thankfully, but it shifted exactly like my old Duc, with the same reassuring 'thunk' when it slipped into gear. None of that agricultural feel of my RT's transmission. This one might deserve a second look. $15,000 isn't cheap though, and dealerships are in no mood to bargain.

Jumping back on my RT for the return trip reminded me why it still ranks number one in my mind, despite it's obvious power disadvantage to more modern designs. The ergos are absolutely perfect for me, and the handling is effortless and completely predictable. It's going to be really hard for something else to tempt me away from it, although I wouldn't rule out the possibility.
    JackalHack, NCJ and sodapop like this.
  11. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good review, thanks. As a previous owner, I sat on a GS and a new XR the other day….I didn’t like the new XR ergos at all. The GS? Like an old pair of comfortable slippers….:D Lovely.
    mikes'gs likes this.
  12. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 1250GS was very impressive. The sticking point was the price tag. :eekers
  13. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not cheap!
  14. nevada72

nevada72 Milwaukeeish

Oddometer:
    Can anyone recommend a set of engine guards (mainly for highway pegs) that won't break the bank for a 2016 RT?
  15. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    nevada72 likes this.
  16. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Who all is going to the RA National Game of Roads Rally next month in Waynesville NC?

We should meet up for drinking, smoking, telling lies and general debauchery. :beer

https://bmwra.org/national-rally-info/
  17. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 1200RT is definitely worse in that respect than my 1150GS. I've pretty much given up parking the RT on the center stand, except for checking the oil level. It just takes too much effort.
  18. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know of a way to mount a car GPS unit on the RT? Motor cycle specific GPS's are way too expensive, and I've got a perfectly good Garmin in my car I could use. There doesn't seem to be any way to adapt it for use with a RAM mount though.
  19. C Squared

C Squared Now without TURBO! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Velcro
    bradatlarge and JackalHack like this.
  20. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Years ago I used a TomTom from a car. I took a plastic snap on holder that had a suction cup style mount and removed the suction cup and replaced it was a Ram ball. I powered it using a cigarette lighter to BMW adapter.