1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Shenandoah Valley Cat Herder's Campout

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by Skippii, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Skippii

Skippii Milkshakes, my lad.

Oddometer:
    Also known as the 'How hard can this be?' Rally
    Or the "Central Va Cat Herder's Clusterfuck"

The idea here is to post little bits of info and hope that they somehow arrange themselves into a well-organized adventure campout.

Details:

WHERE:

NEW LOCATION:
    Motocox's family have been generous enough to supply us with a wonderful location to camp. It will be at the Ski Lift Compound outside New Market. [address removed; you missed it]

WHEN:
    August 7, 8, and 9, 2009 (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)

FAQ

What is the Cat Herder's Campout?
    This is a low-key dual-sport rally for motorcyclists. The emphasis on this rally is RIDING, so while there may be limited other activities available, if you don't ride, you'll be pretty bored. (Read: There is no band).

Why should I come to the CHC?
    1. You want to discover some great dirt trails or paved twisties in the Shenandoah Valley.
    2. You want to meet other Adventure Riders.
    3. You want to try dirt, but want to be with other people since you can't pick up your bike by yourself.

What is provided at the campsite?
    A place to pitch a tent, and some other FFs.

What about food?
    We will provide a late dinner on Friday and Saturday evening.

How much does it cost?
    It will cost $15.
    $10 is for your two meals. If you don't want my cooking, or if you're a vegatarian or something horrible like that, don't pay and bring your own food.

$5 is for the off-road trails at Tasker's Gap. You must purchase your own pass (see links below). I recommend doing this before you come, or on the way to the the campsite, as there aren't locations that sell passes between the campsite and Tasker's.

Additionally, there will be a Dirt Poker Run on Saturday night. If you wish to play, bring another $5.

What is Tasker's Gap?
    Tasker's Gap is a National-Forest Maintained Off Highway Vehicle area with about 40 miles of trails, open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    More information on Off-Highway riding is here, specifics of Tasker's Gap are here.

How do I pay?
    Bring some cash to the campsite when you arrive.

What kind of riding will you be doing?
    Dual sport riding, meaning exactly that.
    There will be rides of varying difficulties of dirt.
    On Sunday morning there will also be a street-only ride of sporty, twisty roads.

What routes will the Saturday Main Event take?
    Finally! I've got the route up on google maps.
    View it here:
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...8.781922,-78.662109&spn=0.984883,2.801514&z=9

This is the full ride. It's long and fun.
    Soon, I hope to have some alternate routes made out that will skip over some of the rockier sections, so those with really big bikes or newer dirt riders will be able to still join in, but take easy routes for some sections and rejoin the party.

What routes will the Sunday Street Event take? [​IMG]
    Well, here's the route that did immediately after buying the Ducati. I felt it made good "training" for the upcoming trip to main. I thought it would work well for this event, as it would give people the opportunity to split off from the group and head home as we neared their local area.
    However, I'm sure most of you are just going to complain about how long it is, and how you only have time for an hour ride, or whatever. So I've made this map open for anyone to edit. So go ahead and change, shorten, whatever.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...d=103017759293129700932.00046ff8fe1c9715f0c39

Can I bring my Harley?
    Absolutely. The Valley is full of, fun, twisty roads where you will have a blast riding any kind of bike.
    Be aware that the actual campsite, however is located on a dirt road.

Can I bring my non-street-legal dirtbike? What about my ATV?
    Your motorcycle must be street legal to join us on any of our rides.
    If you must, there is an off-highway vehicle area not too far from the camping area where you can go off on your own. You will have to transport your machine there. We recommend that you just join us for dual-sport riding.

Can I bring my track bike?
    I think you are not on the correct forum, let alone the correct rally. Try NESBA.com

I can't make it that weekend. Can I come the next weekend?
    Absolutely. Most of us are very bad with dates, so if you come a week late, it's not unlikely that a few others will show up then as well. I, however, will not be there and will not supply food.

What should I bring?
    Check the advice in the Trip Planning forums. In general, you should bring a tent, sleeping bag, water, money for gas, food, campsite rental, and unexpected repairs. If you happen to stop by the local university, JMU, you should also make sure you have a large supply of condoms.

Is the campsite secure and patrolled? Can I leave my paniers and cases at the site while I'm out riding?
    The campsite is located on Private Property at Motocox's Family's home, and should be reasonably safe.

How do we make reservations at the campsite?
    Post in this thread.

What will the official rides be?
    Update: Taskers Gap Ride will now be on Friday afternoon/eveing, and Saturday will be for Dual Sport Rides. There are several reasons for this.
    First is safety: Taskers is open to ATVs, and all trails are two-way traffic. By avoiding weekend ATV traffic, we can all be a little safer.
    Second is that we really want the emphasis of this event to be Dual Sport Riding. There are so many great roads in the valley, we just don't have time to cram them all into one evening.
    Third is that many people just aren't that interested in pure off-road riding, and we don't want them to feel excluded.

Friday afternoon:
    Your choice of:
    1. Easy-level dual sport ride
      Organized by HBN--perhaps led by him as well?​
    2. Tasker's Gap Difficult-level off-road ride
      $5 day pass required​

Saturday:
    Medium-level Dual-Sport ride
    Consider this the "Main Event" for the weekend. I've spent a lot of time developing this ride. It is mostly pretty easy to medium dirt, some street. We'll leave in the morning, and stop for a lunch break somewhere. Expect this ride to be very long and awesome.​

Sunday:
    This is an all-street ride.
    We'll probably leave for this ride shortly after breakfast on Sunday. Since we will be travelling all over the place on this one, those who actually have places to be should feel free to pack up first, join us for the ride, and split off from the group to head home at the appropriate time (just make sure to tell us first, so we don't worry!)
    I'll get the ride routes up soon---I have them worked out, but no Internet at home!

Do I have to follow the group rides?
    Not at all. You can spend all three days riding Tasker's Gap if you like. Or spend all three days riding pavement. Or spend the whole weekend at the campsite drinking Bacardi 151. I'm just providing some guides of things to do in the hope that it's not completely unorganized.

Can I help out?
    Yes, definately. You can start by telling me what sort of things people usually do when organizing rallies, and then volunteering to do them.

If shit happens, who do I sue?
    Yeah right.
    When doing a track day with Nesba, I had to sign a form that said:
    If I crash, it's my fault. If I get hurt, it's my fault.
    If someone hits me, it's my fault. If someone hurts me, it's my fault.
    If I'm attending as a spectator, and a rider crashes, his bike flies off the track, into the air, and lands on my while I'm taking a break at the ice cream stand, it's entirely my fault.
    Consider the same thing applies to CHC.

Who will be there?
    1. BlueThunder
    2. bulboushead
    3. dukethedog
    4. EOD3MC
    5. error cooled
    6. Foxedupone
    7. galusham
    8. h14xl
    9. Hatchcover
    10. HburgNinja
    11. HomePettingZoo
    12. Kawikazi
    13. Kawikazi's friend
    14. Kawikazi's friend
    15. krotchity
    16. MasterLink
    17. Mica
    18. Michhub
    19. MountainMad
    20. Motocox
    21. mtnflow
    22. Mtngoat
    23. mtnpat
    24. Mudmanajl
    25. Nick65
    26. ORexpat
    27. PSUCanary
    28. RPMcMurphy
    29. scott P
    30. Skippii
    31. [TASF]Overkill
    32. [TASF]Overkill's Brother
    33. [TASF]Overkill's Lover
    34. twohawks
    35. VACommuter
    36. vatrader01
    37. vfr800rider (paul151)
    38. Whoam
    39. XC Rider
    40. zzzzss4

Possibly coming:
    1. Jack90210

What is a Cat Herder, anyway?
    <object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pk7yqlTMvp8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pk7yqlTMvp8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>
  2. mtnflow

mtnflow LFC, more pie please

Oddometer:
    DUDE, that's the weekend of AMA superbike race at VIR. I know it sucks since nascar took it over but it all we've got. Plus it's sort of become a tradition to ride down there. See how much fun it is herding cats.

edit: the new date works for me
  3. mtnflow

mtnflow LFC, more pie please

Oddometer:
  4. Skippii

Oddometer:
    Okay, I changed the dates.
  5. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer:
    Thanks Skippii, I was out now I'm in
  6. BLUEThunder

BLUEThunder Ride on!

Oddometer:
    Is the spot mtnflow linked correct? if so, that is what we call north river campground.....an old ccc camp. the only issue you may have there is that it is usually really busy in the summer months and is also subject to frequent patrol by the NF law enforcement dude....not that we would be doing anything wrong....hehehe...:evil

Let me check me calendar...I think I am in since you changed the dates...I was in the same boat as mtnflow...that's the AMA superbike weekend...
  7. Scotty P

Scotty P Funny Like a Clown

Oddometer:
    I'm IN........ if you will teach me how to herd cats!

I liked heard mo better. And da guberment pay me big munee
  8. Scotty P

Scotty P Funny Like a Clown

Oddometer:
    Don't let this thread die.......there are a ton of VA, MD and WV riders that want to camp and ride.
  9. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:
    :1drink Look at that bunch of Cats.

:D No, ...Herd of Cats.

:huh 'Course I've heard of Cats. What are ya Weird?

:D No, no..a Herd of Cats... A Cat Herd!

:wink: What do I care what a Cat Heard?... I got no secrets from no Cats...

:wave
  10. kdscoates

kdscoates Long timer

Oddometer:
    i will look at the kids schedule but i would love to make this!!
  11. Skippii

Oddometer:
    Updated some info. Note the addition of Tasker's Gap OHV park. :evil :evil :evil
  12. MountianMad

MountianMad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just to throw in an option for the Cat Herding Event, My place is within 4 miles of taskers on Moreland Gap Rd (at the end of the upper road from trail head at the old ski resort) We,ve got nice camping , private pond , some neat trails and a great place to throw down ...
    Just a idea. Motocox is in on it so we can set up and giude to levels of trails up to and encluding double black diamond.
    :freaky
  13. homepettingzoo

homepettingzoo dare you to move

Oddometer:
    i'm most likely in
  14. Motocox

Motocox We will call him Thunder!

Oddometer:
    Mountaindad is right. If you are going to Taskers, then you have to go right past here:
    [​IMG]
    Not a bad place to camp...
    And I know the owner needs a kitty or two to keep the rat population in check.
  15. H14

H14 Live, Laugh, Love.

Oddometer:
    Nice offer.

Great location and there are many advantages over a first come first serve public campground.
  16. FOXedupONE

FOXedupONE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will there be moonshine?
  17. homepettingzoo

homepettingzoo dare you to move

Oddometer:
    i think this would be more appropriate.
  18. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:

Now that's funny...:lol3