The Official Triumph Speed Twin thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by knine, Oct 23, 2018.

1. knine

knine knine

Oddometer:
    1200 CC twin bonnie with mag wheel bonnie handling...yes please!!!!...Now I’m torn between this and the Scrambler 1200!!
    Kevm likes this.
  2. YJake

YJake PAR Nation Supporter

Oddometer:
    How about a link or a picture?

-Jake
  3. knine

knine knine

Oddometer:
    Working on it..the Video was taken down before I could grab a screen shot..I think someone jumped the gun. I have my sights set on the new 1200 Scrambler but I really liked what I could see of the speed twin. I have a mag wheel bonnie and I love the difference in the handling from my older Scrambler but it lacks in the power dept. I think this new Speed twin might fill that niche...I may find myself trying to reason why I need to buy two new bikes..lol
  4. PDTX

PDTX Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yesss. That's exactly what I was wanting. A T120 with cast wheels.

Unfortunately it will probably be $15k

6. knine

knine knine

Oddometer:
    As many times as I heard the words premium and super premium it may be more than that!
  7. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    It better weigh below 450 lbs wet.

/what?
    TeepS and Shin1ichi2002 like this.
  8. bungees

bungees epsilon semi-n00b

Oddometer:
  9. kenta

kenta Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't expect it to be similar to the difference seen with the mag wheel bonnie. It has mags, but just eye balling them they look to be the same size as the Thruxton 1200 wheels. Geometry looks to be the same as a Thruxton too so I doubt the handling will be much different. Good looking bike.
  10. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers

Oddometer:
    Real world 856 experience points to a different conclusion.
    Spoke wheel 865 Bonnies are noticeably slower to respond to direction change than cast wheel Bonnies for the same wheel size. I have both. It's quite apparent that there is a difference between the two.
  11. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Triumph is really trying to "upscale" their modern classic lineup, and the prices are increasing at an alarming rate. The 2018 T120 is $12.5Kish, I suspect the "premium" version will cost closer to a Thruxton, so $14-$15K is not out of the question. That's a really tough pill to swallow for a fucking Bonneville.

Even the 2019 Street 900s are going to be pushing $12-$13k now with the upgrades to the engine, suspension, brakes, and electronics package. :(

I guess the good news is the 2017s and leftover 18s will be well discounted.
  12. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Nice!!!
  13. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My "I want a new/different bike" decision just keeps getting more difficult every week, it seems.
    Kevm likes this.
  14. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I was wondering myself but looking at the website today, the Street Twin only increased by $200, same with the Street Scrambler, though I always thought that was a little too high at $1600 more than the Twin. The T120 is now $11,800, though I swear you were right and it was $12,500 before.

I'm not saying the new Speed Twin, Scrambler 1200, etc aren't going to be expensive, but it might not be quite as high as feared. Maybe.
  15. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I pulled the 12.5K figure for the T120 right off their website when I posted that. So they actually have a price DECREASE on that bike??

Good news on the $200 increase on the Streets. That really proves that had to do dick-all to that engine to get another 10HP out of it.
  16. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I think the 900 engine was, and maybe still is, leaving reliable power on the table. The stuff that came out with cams and the like, plus the flat tracker project bike proved that pretty easy and the flat tracker specifically said they got data from Triumph on how to mod the engine. I did think they'd charge more than the $200 extra for the brakes and engine, let alone the update to the forks and electronics.

I'm also surprised at the T120 price drop. My first thought is that the Street sells too well to jump the price up, and the T120 doesn't sell quite as well as hoped and/or with no real changes it's time for a drop since some R&D or other is paid for now. I did also look to see if they removed any features, but nothing jumps out.

I'd still like to see the new 1200s in person, but my desire for a Street Twin hasn't changed, unless I like it more now than before for only $200 increase!
  17. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Triumph claims all they had to do was lighten some internal engine components (balancer and what not).

Supposedly they didn't even change cam profiles.
    LuciferMutt and Matt-J2 like this.
  18. Philthy64

Philthy64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its a way off the concept, which had USD forks, piggy back shocks and twin headlights IIRC.

Maybe a second "premium" (ala Thruxton R) in the pipeline?

Philthy
  19. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    I do remember reading the majority of the power increase came from a higher redline, presumably now achievable with the lighter components.

So honestly, the pre-2019 bikes probably feel nearly identical to the butt dyno until you get to where the old engines redlined, then you pick up some more high-end on the new ones.
    Kevm likes this.
  20. Omarius

Omarius Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it had usd forks and the twin headlights, I would have been in line...