The Official Triumph Speed Twin thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by knine, Oct 23, 2018.

1. drumdog

drumdog it wasn't me ! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anyone replaced stock fork springs with the TEC progressive springs ? Thoughts ?
  2. burangs

burangs Javenturer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the delay. I just swapped seats. Seat of the pants says the Corbin is maybe 1/4-1/2” taller feeling at a stop, but maybe a bit lower when riding. I think that is a result of the deep scallop to the seat. While there is little rear movement available, the seat is A LOT more comfortable than stock.
    davyjones, drumdog and Motonirvana like this.
  3. drumdog

Oddometer:
    I did today. It was a pretty easy job but I had to use a breaker bar with the 30mm socket to loosen the fork cap nuts. I also installed the TEC adjustment caps. It seems like it should be a worthwhile upgrade. The OEM springs are only linear, and rather short - the OEM plastic spacer is almost as long as the OEM spring !
  4. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    The Speed Twin only has 120mm of travel up front, the springs only need to be so long for that.

What is the spring rate range for those TEC springs? Do they sell different versions depending on your weight/use?

Gustavo
    drumdog likes this.
  5. drumdog

Oddometer:
    Acc
    According to the TEC website no, they dont sell different progressive fork springs for the Speed Twin - just the one set because they are progressive and you can add their preload adjusters to dial them in for your style/use/weight.
  6. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Did you measure sag with the original springs and now with the new setup to check how they compare?

Gustavo
  7. drumdog

Oddometer:
    Sorry no, and there is too much snow on the ground here now to even ride and get some feedback. The previous owner had put on Ohlins rear shocks but the springs were for a 160LB rider. I changed the springs to proper for my weight (250) and they made a big positive difference.
    Wonger20 likes this.
  8. CanadaBiker

CanadaBiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I really wanna buy A new Speed Twin!
  9. Bluesforchallah

Bluesforchallah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Triumph Street Twin Black Ace Handlebar Kit - part: A2043219

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    WeegieBored, MariusD and Motonirvana like this.
  10. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hav a Street Scrambler but the Speed Twin has been tempting me lately.
  11. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    That does look good but, it seems like the bars would be too low & a bit to much pull back/sweep to be comfortable for me.
  12. mikeysduck

mikeysduck Slow Ride to Nowhere

Oddometer:
    A Speed Twin has been on my radar for awhile. Is this an engine that begs you to open the throttle and go, or is it happy to roll along at a reasonable speed?

Bikes that made me want to twist the throttle, hold on, and do stupid things. Ducati ST3, don't laugh, Goldwing 1800, Kawasaki RS 900 Cafe

Bikes that were happy, for me, to cruise Harley XR1200, Suzuki VX800. BMW G650, NC700X.

Bikes in-between BMW R1200RT, FJR 1300

A nice used example turned up. A test ride would be in congested city traffic. No real answer there.

I've ridden my Dad's 2017 Bonneville. I think it's a T-100. It's OK, but kind of a yawn.
  13. Low Down

Low Down ADV Misfit Supporter

Oddometer:
    It has pep in it's step. The exhaust note when wound up is very satisfying in stock form.... Arrow slip on exhaust and a Meerkat crossover pipe does not disappoint at all either IMHO...

The Speed Twin can absolutely be a hooligan bike, but it doesn't look like one. Very happy with mine.
    WeegieBored and richarddacat like this.
  14. rc51owner

rc51owner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The same engine is in the 1200 scramblers (high power) vs the bobber/speed master (high torque). Don't let the designation fool you. They are happy to burble along but can spin up nicely (not as violently as a inline four).

Cheers,

M
    drumdog likes this.
  15. drumdog

Oddometer:
    When you want it or when you need it , it will absolutely not disappoint .
    rc51owner likes this.
  16. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    Actually, it is the same basic engine across the line, with the Scrambler engine being in the middle.
    The Speed Twin and Thruxton are both higher hp versions.
    Either way, you should not be disappointed. :D
  17. WeegieBored

WeegieBored Been here awhile

Oddometer:

The engine is a peach. Will quite happily bop about the back lanes at 25mph. Or whack you out a corner on a wave of instant torque in any gear. (Snappy gearing)

Jumped back on my CrosstourerDCT and went for a 60-70mph top gear overtake and was shocked at not being blatted towards the horizon like the Speed Twin. Had to remember to drop a gear or two.

It looks sensible (I like,) but is well capable of being proper naughty (I like even more)

Its wilder side is though kept in check by the budget suspension (100kg kitted here) offset with a surprisingly sharp chassis and front brake. Will be making my own "R" version in time.

Its not similar to any of the bikes you mention. Kwack Cafe with a ST-3 engine but lighter feeling, maybe?
  18. rc51owner

rc51owner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not according to Bike magazine - there are only two states of tune for the 1200 twin. There might be slight variation due to exhaust and intake routing. I would agree on the not being disappointed part.:thumbup

Cheers,

M
  19. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    Everything I've seen shows the Bobbers and Bonneville lines with a claimed hp of 77, the Scrambler at 88 hp, the Speed Twin at 96 hp, and the Thruxton now at 104 hp.
    I can see differences between the Scrambler and Speed Twin due to different exhaust and/or intakes but not between the Thruxton RS and Speed Twin.
    Nicknewb, merc16 and rc51owner like this.
  20. mikeysduck

mikeysduck Slow Ride to Nowhere

Oddometer:
    All you part time Triumph salesmen convinced me to go look at the bike, this Friday.

I'm not wild about the bags. They will be removed.

[​IMG]