The Official Triumph Speed Twin thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by knine, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tell your friend to get an ECU flash to fix the heavily neutered power in 1st-3rd gears plus the huge dip at 5,500 rpm. Then put a +1 sprocket on the countershaft.

The bike it was meant to be then.

The Honda, IMO, is one of the best looking nakeds in the last 20 years. Definitely wouldn't call it transformer styling.

Love these Speed Twins and the Thruxton though(stunning visually).
  2. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Great. So now the Speed Twin will cost $17k and you won't be able to buy a regular one because no dealers will order them, and then the base model will be 86'd. That's exactly what happened to the Thruxton. Also, an R or RS Speed Twin makes zero sense to me, because the Thruxton R/RS is supposed to carry that torch. Why have both the Speed Twin and the Thruxton be "high spec" versions only?
    HapHazard likes this.
  3. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    If the past is any guide, I expect you will be proved 100% correct.

(Also, the available colors will be lackluster).

I'd like to get a current base model, but the $12.2k MSRP is just too much for me.
    Motonirvana and LuciferMutt like this.
  4. Motonirvana

Motonirvana Can't make this shit up

Oddometer:
    Whatever the new updated model turns out to be, there will be buyers who will upgrade possibly increasing the supply of barely used ST's that will make them more affordable. A quick search on Cycle Trader reveals 31 used ST's with the lowest priced one at $9288. I'm going to hold out until I can score one around $8K.
    HapHazard likes this.
  5. HapHazard

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a workable strategy.
    I was hoping to buy my first brand new street bike (always bought dirt new and street used), but if I don't settle for something else, I might wait it out and do the same.
    Motonirvana likes this.
  6. Low Down

Low Down ADV Misfit Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tomorrow I'm replacing the battery my 2019 came with.... it's flat as fuck. Apparently that has been an issue.

Hopefully the replacement I received will hold out a bit longer. For the $32.xx I paid for it we'll just have to see...

:lol3
    HapHazard likes this.
  7. HapHazard

Oddometer:
    I understand that the heat kills batteries where you are, and its the cold that kills batteries where I am.

I roll the dice on cheap batteries too!
    The $40 unit in my Sportster is 10 years old & still cranks perfect.
    I've got $35 ones on my quad and lawn tractor still good at 5+ years.
    And there was one that wouldn't take a charge when delivered (returned), and another that lasted 6 months and quickly croaked.
  8. Low Down

Low Down ADV Misfit Supporter

Oddometer:

I've had a few.... a bunch of bikes over the years, and I have to say that this is the quickest I have seen one go flat. If I can get a couple years outta this new one I'll be content.
  9. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, the updated Speed Twin is on the Triumph site now.

It's not an R/RS model, it's an update to the base. Big Brembo brakes, a little more power from the engine (not much, like 3hp), USD cartridge forks but non adjustable. Some new cosmetic touches as well of course.

Price is at $12,500USD, which iirc is what it was before, so no change there?
    merc16, Florida Lime and rc51owner like this.
  10. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
  11. Skidmarkart

Skidmarkart Dirty Middle Age Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not going to lie, that's a sweet lookin' bike.

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 12.08.37 PM.png
    merc16, Motonirvana and Florida Lime like this.
  12. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    daveinva, HapHazard and Motonirvana like this.
  13. Florida Lime

Oddometer:
    I like the improvements, and although I'd still like to see an RS version, they touched on several points I had concerns about.
    I know it's not a priority for many people, but I still think they need to have cruise control as a standard feature.
    This is an omission that several manufacturers have been making, not just Triumph.
    relayer4u, HapHazard and Motonirvana like this.
  14. oldoval

oldoval Energy Vampire

Oddometer:
    I'm impressed. Some pretty significant updates, almost everything I'd want if someone was asking. Bummer about the lack of cruise.

Not a huge price increase either. Triumph's US website is showing $12,500 for the basic black and $300 more for red with stripe or the flat grey with stripe.
    HapHazard likes this.
  15. HapHazard

Oddometer:
    Looks like the same rear shocks except black bodies and top cover, where previously was chrome (or bright, ennyway).:dunno

I hope that the fork & shock handle & ride at least as well as before!
    (How long before some civilians get to ride it & report, I wonder?).
  16. FranknStein7

FranknStein7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty bike, but all I wanted for the this year was cruise control (yes I’m high maintenance). You still have to get the Bonneville for that.
  17. Florida Lime

Oddometer:
    Or the 1200 Scrambler. :wink:
    20210224_175520.jpg
  18. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The lack of cruise control comments are interesting I would not expect cruise on this type of bike and it's anticipated usage for most owners, because it's throttle by wire I am surprised Triumph doesn't offer it as an accessory which would be easy since the T120 has cruise. Anyone know if the new upside down forks are adjustable in any way ?

I'm not seeing enough significant changes to run down to the local dealer and trade in my 2020 I think I'll wait for the R or RS version. My prediction is Triumph will run this new variation for a few years then come out with an R or RS version to keep a fresh carrot under our noses.
    Motonirvana likes this.
  19. Florida Lime

Oddometer:
    The description says the rear shocks are preload adjustable, but there is no mention of any adjustments for the forks.

Also, the Speed Twin uses the same wiring harness as the Thruxton. At the initial Speed Twin launch, Triumph said that wiring harness has no provisions for accepting cruise control. The wiring harnesses for the Bonneville and 1200 Scrambler are different.
    Seems like an easy fix - change the wiring harness to one that can accept cruise, if not standard then as an accessory.
  20. relayer4u

relayer4u Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm among the disappointed in the omission of cruise as well. The new Speed Triple has it and Aprilia isn't afraid to include it either. Sporty bike doesn't preclude one from wanting to relax on a ride once in a while.
    Now that the Scrambler XC is available in that beautiful blue, I am very tempted. Speed Twin, not so much.