The official XT225 thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by wickerman777, Nov 4, 2006.

1. daizee

daizee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally got the late partner's bike back from her friend the late bike mechanic's barn.
    Got it all put back together, and after several false starts, did a proper carb overhaul, including pilot jet plug/adjustment. WOW does she start properly now.

It's a 2001. The whole bike has been lowered about an inch, fore and aft. Front wheel hub was rebuilt inside an 18" rim, and she wears Pirelli Scorpions. She had painted the plastics and trimmed the front fender so it doesn't go all flaggy at 50mph. Sweet little machine, and I'm happy to have her back AND running! First season back on the road since 2012!
    Great little commuter to the knife shop too. :beer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    fafnir and norton73 like this.
  2. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DRZ400 is a great bike. I have one and an XT225. There are places I have taken the XT225 to that I do not have the nerve to take the DRZ400 (one place, specifically, is riding up Yellow Jacket Hill at Tahuya). Both great bikes.

I'm also a fan of the XR250R, it might be MY holy grail, but this is the XT thread. Love mine. 13000 street miles and 3000 dirt miles. It's a fantastic bike that even the best rider on single track would likely find enjoyable.
    rc51kid likes this.
  3. rc51kid

rc51kid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Xr250L was actually at the top of my list. But I wanted to bring it up the XR250R specs and that would have been a small project. Also the xr250l are hard to find and fetch a premium for a 30year old bike. Also no e start. But they are so much lighter and I think once they are brought up to xrr spec great bikes.

I went and rode the drz and fell in love with the motor. Just so smooth and so much torque compared to what I was used to (XT225)
  4. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Come on folks, this IS the XT225 thread. I understand how much fun it is to get a new bike and all, but if I wanted to read about the virtues of some other bike...I'd go to the someotherbike thread.

I'd really like to keep this thread the place to go for XT225 talk.
    bykergrrl likes this.
  5. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    • XR250L and R claimed weight (it varies a little by year) is ~239 lbs dry.
    • XT225 claimed weight is 238 lbs dry/267 lbs wet.
    • DRZ400S claimed weight is 291 lbs dry/319 lbs wet. Feels like a lot more when it falls over.
    I wouldn't say any adult bike is "so much lighter" than an XT. A few may be a little lighter, but outside of Beta, I don't know of any that are.

The XT225 is a great, lightweight trail bike. Unlike the XR it has e-start and a low seat height. The XT overcomes a lack of power with 6 speeds. I've stalled out my DRZ more than I have the XT. It also gets significantly better gas mileage than the DRZ. Stock tanks are about the same size, so in stock configuration, the XT has about 50% further range. Picking up the XT on an off-camber slope is substantially easier than the DRZ.

In the last couple years my XT has done the WABDR, the NW Passage ADV Route, been to the Alvord Desert including a bit of sand riding, and my youngest son and I are planning a 150 mile round-trip dirt ride in Eastern WA in a month or so (he'll be riding the XT). Great bike.
    norton73, AnthonyD and simestd like this.
  6. fafnir

fafnir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rode out to Lake Pepin on Saturday, XT in weekend touring mode. 20190727_203440.jpg
    jimroid and norton73 like this.
  7. Pixturethis

Pixturethis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found a water crossing the XT couldn’t make. Didn’t think there was such a thing.

Attached Files:

8. jimroid

jimroid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^oops!
  9. Pixturethis

Pixturethis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was a dare, seems like it’s always me that has to go first in the water crossing, the mud. Everyone on bigger bikes don’t ever go first. Well I had fun.
  10. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Well, at least the small bike is the easiest to boost out, and the big bike guys should thank you.

Remember, pools are shallowest near the outlet, and if that isn't accessible, often near the inlet.
  11. woofer2609

woofer2609 Less flow, more Gnar

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I found that with a new 3.0 x21 Shinko 244 Golden Boy tire, the speedo and odo on my 2000 were within 1%.
    Also, yeah, what's with the value of dual sports increasing as the bike gets older? I picked up my XT for $1900 in 2011 with 17,000 km's, I haven't seen one for under $2300, usually closer to $2600, with some numbers asking $3200:loco
    rc51kid and Tom S like this.
  12. rc51kid

rc51kid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree on the prices. Just too high. I was very lucky when I landed mine for $1000.
  13. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. VonBiker

VonBiker Work sucks and then you RIDE!

Oddometer:
    Enjoying my little Serow this weekend while my younger son races Mtn Bike for his high school team. My get-around bike for camping and around town. Also using it to introduce my boys to road riding and dual sport as well. They grew up on dirt bikes. It’s just so plush & easy to ride.

IMG_1459.JPG
    150ron, norton73, PNWet and 2 others like this.
  15. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi, is there a difference between the regular xt225 and the serow model xt225? I'm looking to buy one for myself, and was wondering about this? Also is there anything else I should know about this bike? Thanks
  16. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    No.
    https://advrider.com/f/search/75610270/?q=known+problems&t=post&o=relevance&c[thread]=178968

Some have problems with spokes getting loose, mostly rear spokes. Other than that they are very good & reliable little bikes. Mine is a keeper but with my other bikes I don't ride it all that much. I just snug up the spokes from time to time.
    https://advrider.com/f/search/75610283/?q=Spokes&t=post&o=relevance&c[thread]=178968
    150ron likes this.
  17. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    There are differences between XTs sold in different markets. For instance, XT250s sold in Australia have rubber cushions between the rear sprocket and the wheel. I don't know about the XT225s sold there, though.

However the name, serow, seems to be applied without much regard to the actual model, as near as I can tell, to both the XT225 and XT250. Since it's a name for a Japanese goat, it seems to be applied there a lot. Also in the Philippines. Many people call them a serow, even if it's not printed on the bike.

it looks like Yamaha is bringing out a new XT250 serow in Europe:
    https://www.topgear.com.ph/moto-sapiens/motorcycle-news/2019-yamaha-serow-250-a959-20190607
    150ron likes this.
  18. jimroid

jimroid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very sharp. I’d sure like it more if they had put a 6 speed in it!
  19. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    The missing 6th gear on the XT250 isn't as bad as it seems, since it has a very flat torque curve, and the ratio of its distance traveled per engine revolution in 5th, to distance traveled per revolution in 1st, is actually greater than other 250 dual sports, plus the Suzuki 200 (using their highest gears). However the XT225 is still better.

You can play with this data at:
    https://www.gearingcommander.com/
  20. fafnir

fafnir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20190825_151757.jpg More exploring SE Minnesota, cam chain starting to sound kind of loud, I may have some work to do on my XT over the winter.