The official XT225 thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by wickerman777, Nov 4, 2006.

1. PNWet

PNWet Long timer

Oddometer:
    • XR250L and R claimed weight (it varies a little by year) is ~239 lbs dry.
    • XT225 claimed weight is 238 lbs dry/267 lbs wet.
    • DRZ400S claimed weight is 291 lbs dry/319 lbs wet. Feels like a lot more when it falls over.
    I wouldn't say any adult bike is "so much lighter" than an XT. A few may be a little lighter, but outside of Beta, I don't know of any that are.

The XT225 is a great, lightweight trail bike. Unlike the XR it has e-start and a low seat height. The XT overcomes a lack of power with 6 speeds. I've stalled out my DRZ more than I have the XT. It also gets significantly better gas mileage than the DRZ. Stock tanks are about the same size, so in stock configuration, the XT has about 50% further range. Picking up the XT on an off-camber slope is substantially easier than the DRZ.

In the last couple years my XT has done the WABDR, the NW Passage ADV Route, been to the Alvord Desert including a bit of sand riding, and my youngest son and I are planning a 150 mile round-trip dirt ride in Eastern WA in a month or so (he'll be riding the XT). Great bike.
    norton73, AnthonyD and simestd like this.
  2. fafnir

fafnir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rode out to Lake Pepin on Saturday, XT in weekend touring mode. 20190727_203440.jpg
    jimroid and norton73 like this.
  3. Pixturethis

Pixturethis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found a water crossing the XT couldn’t make. Didn’t think there was such a thing.

Attached Files:

4. jimroid

jimroid Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^oops!
  5. Pixturethis

Pixturethis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was a dare, seems like it’s always me that has to go first in the water crossing, the mud. Everyone on bigger bikes don’t ever go first. Well I had fun.
  6. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Well, at least the small bike is the easiest to boost out, and the big bike guys should thank you.

Remember, pools are shallowest near the outlet, and if that isn't accessible, often near the inlet.
  7. woofer2609

woofer2609 Less flow, more Gnar

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I found that with a new 3.0 x21 Shinko 244 Golden Boy tire, the speedo and odo on my 2000 were within 1%.
    Also, yeah, what's with the value of dual sports increasing as the bike gets older? I picked up my XT for $1900 in 2011 with 17,000 km's, I haven't seen one for under $2300, usually closer to $2600, with some numbers asking $3200:loco
    rc51kid and Tom S like this.
  8. rc51kid

rc51kid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree on the prices. Just too high. I was very lucky when I landed mine for $1000.
  9. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. VonBiker

VonBiker Work sucks and then you RIDE! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoying my little Serow this weekend while my younger son races Mtn Bike for his high school team. My get-around bike for camping and around town. Also using it to introduce my boys to road riding and dual sport as well. They grew up on dirt bikes. It’s just so plush & easy to ride.

IMG_1459.JPG
    150ron, norton73, PNWet and 2 others like this.
  11. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi, is there a difference between the regular xt225 and the serow model xt225? I'm looking to buy one for myself, and was wondering about this? Also is there anything else I should know about this bike? Thanks
  12. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    No.
    https://advrider.com/f/search/75610270/?q=known+problems&t=post&o=relevance&c[thread]=178968

Some have problems with spokes getting loose, mostly rear spokes. Other than that they are very good & reliable little bikes. Mine is a keeper but with my other bikes I don't ride it all that much. I just snug up the spokes from time to time.
    https://advrider.com/f/search/75610283/?q=Spokes&t=post&o=relevance&c[thread]=178968
    150ron likes this.
  13. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    There are differences between XTs sold in different markets. For instance, XT250s sold in Australia have rubber cushions between the rear sprocket and the wheel. I don't know about the XT225s sold there, though.

However the name, serow, seems to be applied without much regard to the actual model, as near as I can tell, to both the XT225 and XT250. Since it's a name for a Japanese goat, it seems to be applied there a lot. Also in the Philippines. Many people call them a serow, even if it's not printed on the bike.

it looks like Yamaha is bringing out a new XT250 serow in Europe:
    https://www.topgear.com.ph/moto-sapiens/motorcycle-news/2019-yamaha-serow-250-a959-20190607
    150ron likes this.
  14. jimroid

jimroid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very sharp. I’d sure like it more if they had put a 6 speed in it!
  15. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    The missing 6th gear on the XT250 isn't as bad as it seems, since it has a very flat torque curve, and the ratio of its distance traveled per engine revolution in 5th, to distance traveled per revolution in 1st, is actually greater than other 250 dual sports, plus the Suzuki 200 (using their highest gears). However the XT225 is still better.

You can play with this data at:
    https://www.gearingcommander.com/
  16. fafnir

fafnir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20190825_151757.jpg More exploring SE Minnesota, cam chain starting to sound kind of loud, I may have some work to do on my XT over the winter.
  17. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info guys, I thought maybe the serow was a specific model. Looking through xt's on CL, I saw one year that looked to have like air vents on the bottom sides of the gas tank? Is that just a specific design for that year? Looking at one with 7,500 miles, only thing holding me back is it has a aftermarket exhaust, I don't want that. I want the stock quiet pipe.
  18. Aguaski

Aguaski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In stock form all U.S. XT225’s should have those air scoops at the bottom of the gas tank. That said, on Craigslist you might be finding some XT’s where the air scoops were removed or even broken off. You also may find some XT’s missing the air scoops because the bike has been fitted with a larger aftermarket Clarke gas tank. In my opinion the larger Clarke tank would be a nice get if you can find one.
    150ron and HardWorkingDog like this.
  19. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_2019-08-26-20-26-13.png Thanks. Hoping to work out a deal on this one, 7,500 miles
  20. MasterChief

MasterChief Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It looks like it's in pretty good shape. They don't have automatic transmissions. Maybe an auto clutch if someone installed an after market one.
    150ron likes this.