The official XT225 thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by wickerman777, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Sachou

Sachou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Removed the problematic handlebar mounted choke knob and filled the resulting dead space with a USB power outlet. Looks like the space was made for it.

IMG_2135.JPG IMG_2134.JPG

The USB outlet I used was a Mroinge from Amazon for $15: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N1993MV/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_IvWDDb8Q7KM3A
    It's pretty unique, because it displays the battery voltage, USB volts and amps, AND it has a convenient on/off switch, so you can turn it off when not in use so it doesn't run the battery down.

IMG_2133.JPG

Pairs well with my Quadlock, which holds my smart phone, which I use with Backcountry Navigator as my only GPS.

IMG_2131.JPG IMG_2132.JPG
  2. Aguaski

Aguaski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That looks nice. How did you mount the USB outlet? It looks like maybe you used Velcro to attach below the trip meter?
  3. Sachou

Sachou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just 3M VHB double sided mounting tape. That stuff sticks anything flat and smooth to anything else flat and smooth and will never let go.
  4. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    That's a double-edged sword :)
    I work with VHB tape...you get one chance, once it's stuck it's stuck. Extremely difficult to remove.
  5. jimroid

jimroid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. fafnir

fafnir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A couple of photos from the 2019 North Shore Shindig. I broke the chain guard. 20190914_184950.jpg 20190915_201534.jpg
  7. dgjackson40

dgjackson40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where did you relocate the choke?
  8. Sachou

Sachou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Procycle sells a direct choke knob on the carb itself, or a remote choke knob that mounts to the engine case.
    dgjackson40 likes this.
  9. oughtsix

oughtsix Hammer Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Greetings all. Looking to pick up a 95 xt225 this afternoon for a song. I've done some searching around, but Im already uninterested in the rear drum brake. Is there a reason that an xt250 or somesuch swingarm wouldn't bolt up for a disc brake conversion without going through the gyrations of custom spacers and sprockets?
    Aguaski likes this.
  10. Aguaski

Aguaski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can’t answer your question about fitting a XT250 swingarm, but I can tell you the XT225 is a lightweight bike and the drum brake isn’t a problem. I have never felt more stopping power is needed on my XT225. A disc brake conversion seems like an over complicated and unnecessary expensive upgrade. Enjoy the XT225 for what it is, or get the XT250 to get the brakes you want.
    simestd, Tom S and oughtsix like this.
  11. oughtsix

oughtsix Hammer Mechanic

Oddometer:

Thanks for the response! I guess I should get the thing running and sorted out before I "fix" something that isn't yet chowdered....
    simestd likes this.
  12. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    The drum brake is likely to be the least of your problems on a 22 year old bike. If you feel the need to upgrade the brakes I'd suggest updating to the later front brake, which should be a much simpler and less expensive project.
    Tom S likes this.
  13. jimroid

jimroid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    EBC HH pads, fresh fluid and some sticky Shinko’s. You’ll be golden.
  14. jimroid

jimroid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    9E752D60-0589-4F0F-BFD1-DB2A2C8C4416.jpeg E1DCAA00-6FF0-4AC4-80F3-EE0825510115.jpeg
    norton73 likes this.
  15. oughtsix

oughtsix Hammer Mechanic

Oddometer:
    What tires do you have in this pic/ what do you recommend? I was thinking a trials tire would be about as good as any 50/50 tire.
  16. jimroid

jimroid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. oughtsix

oughtsix Hammer Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Thanks @jimroid. Those look like the ticket.

Last night I excised the carb for a cleaning, dumped a solid handful of rust out of the tank, charged up and strapped on a too-big battery, added a hot plug, and she busted right off. Grabbed my helmet and went for a quick blast down the road. This is going to be the most fun 700 bucks in history. Stops, goes, and will even pick up the front wheel with a little encouragement.

Has a few more minor problems typical of a scoot that sat in a shed for a decade, but it was stored inside so there's not much to see. And less than 2500 miles.

On further investigation, the gas tank is pretty darn rusty. I'm undecided on rehabbing this one or going straight to a super tanker but since there's rust bubbles on the outside (through the paint) it may be shot. I'd like the extra range anyway. I can add a new Clarke and still be on the road right around a grand...

Will be rebuilding the front brakes as there's a lot of corrosion up at the master cylinder. Everything else is just turd polishing: pegs, springs, fender/tail light swap...

Gratuitous potato pic, bungeed on battery and all:
    IMG_1676.jpg

Aside from being 24 years old, it's a new bike....barely broken in.

File_000.jpeg
    simestd and jimroid like this.
  18. oughtsix

oughtsix Hammer Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Is the clarke tank the only aftermarket tank for the XT225? I can't find many distributors for this part, and have read some truly disappointing things about justgastanks.com. Curious if the rumors are true.

In other words, looking for a good tank, aftermarket or not. This one is...barely serviceable.
  19. freewheelin'

freewheelin' Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    As far as know the Clark is the only one. I got mine at Procycle.
    oughtsix likes this.
  20. jimroid

jimroid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    6BD89485-0812-4651-B6A6-8272747549E4.jpeg 3932F0B4-A0C0-4A3F-9795-EC72B9D12812.jpeg I’ve owned a few bikes over the years, but I sure like this one a lot. I really have a hard time believing it is only a 225cc 4 stroke. It performs beyond the spec sheet, and that is no sheet.
    Speedo66 and oughtsix like this.