The official XT225 thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by wickerman777, Nov 4, 2006.

1. 8lives

8lives Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    Tonight I rode a 2006 home, I'm new to the XT world, the bike has 5000 on it and ran good on the freeway on the way home, I'm going to dig into it to make sure all is well, but I know some of the plastic body parts are broke or missing does anyone have any ideas on getting replacements or making plastics that are easily available to fit?
  2. Aguaski

Aguaski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Most parts for the XT225 are readily available, but plastics seem to be the exception and are hard to find. For genuine XT225 plastics you will need to search Ebay. If you find some decent plastics on eBay be prepared to pay more than you want, and they will probably be mismatched colors. A good plastic paint can get your colors matching again. Below is a link to a thread about a guy who improvised using DRZ400 plastics on his XT225. The DRZ400 is still in production so plastics for that bike should be readily available. Good luck.

http://www.xt225.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=35870
  3. 8lives

8lives Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    I saw that as I was searching around Aguaski and I have a DRZ available to see what it will take to adapt it to the XT, at this point I'm only missing the left side and everything else is there or seems repairable.
  4. Aguaski

Aguaski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seems like I see the left side becoming available on Ebay more frequently than the right side. In my experience the right side is nearly impossible to find. With patience I bet you can find something.
  5. jimroid

jimroid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ll be honest. Marginal picture at best, but my Friday morning ride was one of the finest. So many great views, and trails, and twisty roads. Just no place to pull off to snap pictures. Nor did I want to stop riding! B63B7279-8C31-4F8E-B050-D46059D637CD.jpeg
    Nobade and 8lives like this.
  6. 8lives

8lives Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    It's a great time of year to ride, once I have my "new to me" XT checked out I'll be out and about to enjoy.
    norton73 and jimroid like this.
  7. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let's discuss oil for our bikes....

Fork oil actually. There's no drain plug on my wife's '04. I'm thinkin' I'll just pull the tubes out of the triple clamps while I am changing the front tire and drain out the top. Recommended weight for a 130 lb rider who's not gonna be hammering single track?
  8. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    The suspension on these things isn't all that stiff. Why not stick with these stock specs?

Forks.jpg
    jimroid likes this.
  9. dgjackson40

dgjackson40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where should I start looking for my oil leak? It’s a 93 model. FEAE9A4F-E0C9-479F-A513-BE5C5EFD445A.jpeg 2CCB0647-4692-4EBC-9914-189772AD1CBC.jpeg
  10. Aguaski

Aguaski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For sure replace both valve cover o-rings, and replace the o-ring that seals the starter unit to the motor. Those are cheap and easy replacements. Clean it up and see what happens next. You may also have a leak at your base gasket, which is also a cheap fix, but much more involved process.
    dgjackson40 likes this.
  11. dgjackson40

dgjackson40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks will order seals and gaskets right away.
  12. Tom S

Oddometer:
    Start by cleaning off all that oil so you can see where it's coming from.
  13. oughtsix

oughtsix Hammer Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Hit a snag with the rescue bike. Took the tank off to refresh and patch, put it all back together and have running issues.

Bike starts up quick and idles great after a short warmup. Will rev great sitting in neutral. However, when I put it in gear and try to accelerate, the revs will (for lack of a better term) get "stuck" sputtering about halfway up the rev range and eventually rev on up, like a two stroke hitting the power band. Never fooled with a cv carb in depth, so any ideas?
  14. Tom S

Oddometer:
    Seen stuff like that happen when the throttle cable routing gets put in the wrong place & is hanging up on something when you turn the bars & it pulls on the cable.
    You did just put things back together & may be turning the bars when trying to start out so .... :dunno
  15. oughtsix

oughtsix Hammer Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Checked routing and the butterfly moves freely. Slide moves easily. So i tore it down again and put my good eye on it.

As usual, I'm kind of a bonehead. I had it apart earlier to reset the float level and while i was in there, I cleaned some dirt dauber leavings out of a couple holes, but found myself wondering how in the world you would ever pull a vacuum on the slide diaphragm with this open hole on both parts.... :dizave

IMG_1700.JPG

Should have finished that line of thinking. A quick consult with a parts fiche and i can confirm that this is busted. Mikuni calls it the air cutoff valve, or at least the cover. 40 bucks on ebay seems steep, especially with the internals visually in good shape.

According to this thread:
    http://www.xt225.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=74951&page=all

The vacuum connection (the part that breaks off) is likely not 100% necessary for full function, but sealing the diaphragm top-side is 100% necessary...

While it is a slippery slope to begin to decide which parts are needed and which are not in the near-magical system that is carburetion...

it did work great before unplugging...

and it is already broken....

and I do have some plastic epoxy on the shelf....

Stand by.
  16. Tom S

Oddometer:
    Also known as the enricher valve. Been plenty of posts about it here & some that are much newer than what you found on the XT225 forum.
    https://advrider.com/f/search/76036622/?q=enricher+valve&t=post&o=relevance&c[thread]=178968

I'd forget the epoxy, some have said it didn't work out too well for them.
    $27.99 at Rocky Mountain.
    https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/mikuni-cv-carburetor-side-cover-p?v=2220
    oughtsix likes this.
  17. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    Turn them upside down, pump out the oil and fill and bleed before setting the oil height. 10wt fork oil or ATF if you want.
  18. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    I’m brand new to this thread I think... I just acquired a 2004 that wasn’t running. The bike is actually really pretty nice but missing side panels and tank “scoops”. Tires are old with date codes of 2004 and 2006. 8300 miles. Supposedly the valves have been replaced and someone worked on the bike enough to charge around 600 bucks.

I'm not sure exactly how I’ll use the bike but my daughter can ride it when she wants. As long as I can get it working well, I’ll be reworking the front and rear suspension.
    Nobade and simestd like this.
  19. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    I’ll try a tire question... my google skills may be failing so I’ll apologize in advance. I’m looking for DOT knobby tires which won’t make the bike taller. It look like that is doable with MT21s which are my fall-back if someone can’t suggest a better option. And experienced comments? Thanks.
  20. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    I am considering generic number plates.