The official XT225 thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by wickerman777, Nov 4, 2006.

1. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:
    NC Rick likes this.
  4. oughtsix

oughtsix Reverse Engineer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to @Tom S I have the correct side cover, along with a fresh uni filter and carb kit. 135 main, don't recall the pilot, however it starts up beautifully and idles well. Pilot screw is 2.5 turns out.

However.

It still has an issue under load. It revs up in neutral, but when accelerating at a steady throttle position it will fall on its face and recover repeatedly (almost as if chopping the throttle). Could this be related to fuel level in the carb (i.e. float adjustment) or do I have a vacuum issue? I ran the propane test near the carb and intake boots with no findings.
    NC Rick likes this.
  5. simestd

Oddometer:
    Just because it's simple and quick, try a lap around the block with the gas cap off. The symptoms you're describing could be a vent problem with the tank.
  6. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    If that was the case I don't see how it would quickly recover in the very short time that I assume he means by saying "recover repeatedly".
    Had the same problem with another bike. Crank it on & it would act like a quick throttle chop & then immediately resume accelerating. It had been jetted way too lean.
    But with his 135 main jet I don't think it's lean. Too rich? Slide sticking or vacuum not lifting it quick enough?
  7. simestd

Oddometer:
    If the tank vent is partially occluded and can just keep up at low load / throttle but is overwhelmed under load and results in a vacuum which starves the carb, it might fit. Either way it probably takes less time to check than it does to read this reply:rofl
    Tom S likes this.
  8. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup! :D
  9. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    Did the bike run correctly for you, in the past? Sorry I’m not up to speed. I was surprised by what was wrong with mine... unusual carb issues.
  10. oughtsix

Oddometer:
    This is a barn find, if you will. Picked it up cheap not running, and fumbling my way through my first cv carb. Only ever dealt with atv and two smoke carbs before.

On the fuel tank, the previous abuser apparently drilled out the lock, so there’s a half inch hole for a vent.

Been putting together a list of stuff to eliminate:

1. pilot fuel screw, move a turn in?
    2. Weak diaphragm spring?
    3. Shim the needle?
    4. ?
  11. Aguaski

Aguaski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the oil cooler, but I admit real world benefits are difficult to quantify without some type of temperature measuring device. The pic I posted was taken in the high country of AZ where the air is cool, but I live and normally ride in the Phoenix area where there are blazing summer temps. To combat heat damage I run synthetic oil, installed an aftermarket exhaust to more efficiently evacuate heat, and installed the oil cooler. I am sure I have obtained some cooling benefit, but I have no idea how much extra cooling I am getting.

norton73 has the right eBay link for the oil cooler in post 14942. That is where I ordered mine last summer. Mekdad1 is the Ebay seller. He lists the oil cooler as being compatible with the TW200, but the cooler also exactly fits the XT225 without any modifications required. If it appears the last oil cooler has been sold then contact mekdad1 directly and request one. He works in a machine shop and can always make more. He is never truly out of stock.
    NC Rick likes this.
  12. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    My 225 was in a similar state. Without going into all the details, the bike had been worked on because it wouldn’t run correctly. When I got it, it would start and idle nicely but would not take throttle. Apparently the professional mechanics Re worked the head and the bike did run, but poorly. After sitting it would no longer take throttle.
    I took the carburetor apart and checked everything in there. The odd thing in my experience was that the gas went bad and clogged the main jet but not the tiny pilot jet. Also, a carburetor rebuild kit had been installed and the float level was way off, like by 5mm. After fixing those carburetor issues, I was able to ride off and even do wheelies, the bike runs great.

I started by removing the spark plug (which was new) and tested the compression and spark which was good. I checked the airbox and air filter , temporarily removing it. Spraying in some starting fluid caused the bike to start and even rev up. That’s when I knew to do a full carb check. There was also bad gas and crud in the gas tank which needed cleaning out to not foul my nice clean carburetor.

food for thought for you hopefully.
    simestd likes this.
  13. oughtsix

Oddometer:
    I think float level is the likely culprit. Will tear it down again tonight.

Do you have your needle shimmed up any?
  14. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    I am leaving the airbox, exhaust and jetting totally stock unless I have some problem. The bike runs very well and is quiet which meets my needs. My only complaint so far is the longish warm-up required.
    simestd likes this.
  15. oughtsix

Oddometer:
    What's your elevation? I'm only 250 feet asl or so. Thanks for the input. Mine will stay stock as well, but I do need to check and make sure someone didn't drill out the muffler....the airbox and snorkel are intact.
    NC Rick likes this.
  16. simestd

Oddometer:
    I'm at basically sea level and have left the fuel, air and exhaust systems stock as well. As Rick notes, it does take a little while to warm up but my daughter's routine it to start it on full choke, don her helmet and gloves, back it down to about 1/2 choke and take off. At the first light or when she notices a high idle, she'll push the choke off.
    NC Rick and oughtsix like this.
  17. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    I am at about 2,500 ft. I just got the title work done today. Met my friend who used to own the bike and had sold it to the guy I bought it from. Title was never changed to his name.
  18. Aguaski

Aguaski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My elevation is 1,800 feet. I also had my XT225 dyno tuned. During the tuning process performance was optimized with a 122.5 main and 2 shims on the needle. Going into the tuning process I would have thought that would be too lean, but the dyno doesn’t lie.
    NC Rick likes this.
  19. GlennF33

GlennF33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Simple warm-up solution: Turn pilot screw out three turns from bottomed out. Going to 42.5 pilot jet also helps.
    NC Rick likes this.
  20. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    Has anyone come up with a nice alternative location for the choke knob? I’d like to keep the cable and remote knob. PO put fat bars and moved them up and forward. I put straight adapters on so oem bracket won’t work.