The official XT225 thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by wickerman777, Nov 4, 2006.

1. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I run the bike on reserve all the time. I thought about cutting the standing tubes off and installing a fuel filter in the gas line. I'm an ON/OFF for fuel guy. I have a see through fuel tank. The handle on the generic works good. It would be a pain with gloves. I barely ever turn my fuel off.
  2. NZSpokes

NZSpokes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Test fit. With some work it will fit. 20191031_101342.jpg
    MikkSteel likes this.
  3. oughtsix

oughtsix Reverse Engineer

Oddometer:
    New meats came in. Dunlop d605s. Got some 15wt fork oil ready, but debating hard on getting some springs and cogent dynamics goodies coming so I can do it all at once. Shock will come later but the forks fold right up under hard braking. Also seem to have developed some noise from the rear brake drum. I’ll investigate this weekend when I have the wheels off. Happy weekend everyone.

edit to add, much of my carb issue seems to be water from when I cleaned the tank out. I’ve run a gallon or so of fresh dry gas through the tank and the performance has improved greatly. Clarke tank will be here next week

5A322B7B-AD4D-44A0-9BEF-9A2692A83104.jpeg
    simestd likes this.
  4. jimroid

jimroid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like those 605’s. I originally put 15wt oil in my forks and it was a wrist beater. These XT forks love the standard 10wt.
    NC Rick and norton73 like this.
  5. oughtsix

Oddometer:
    can confirm that the ride is much more....firm with 15wt in there. Feels great on the blacktop, but might go back with 10. The 605s feel great, went out to get them scrubbed in this afternoon.

a friend bought an Xr650l. I want one, but this little thing is a hoot.

Attached Files:

6. jimroid

jimroid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    XT225 oil change, what a treat. Very enjoyable to change oil on these bikes! No body work removal, no exhaust in the way, no goofy filters that spill oil all over. Bonus is that it takes an even litre of oil, so no extra jugs lying around collecting dust. I run Maxima synthetic and it looked and smelled darn near new with 1900 miles on that change.
    NC Rick likes this.
  7. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Only caveat is to be careful with the drain plug on the left side. It seems to be made from solidified butter, very easy to over tighten, then strip the head removing it. A bear to loosen at that point. Never use anything but a six pt. socket.
  8. jut8

jut8 pretty ok at bikes

Oddometer:
    Well I am new to the XT225 crew, but i picked on up, and have been having a lot of fun on it. I see some people are doing the 15wt oil trick on their forks, i did it with mine last week, and it was a great improvement, its game changing for sure, but after having the cogent full treatment to my KLR,i know if I keep the XT around, ill probably go that route, but it has to earn its keep in the garage before I invest that much into it, haha.

I did however read that the CRF230F springs will work in the XT, not sure how true that is, but I see BBR makes a set of .48 rate springs for the CRF230F, at 190lbs, those would be pretty stiff for me, Racetech is saying .44's for me, well i logged onto Rocky Mtn and saw that Ebiach makes a set of .44's for the 230f, so i took a chance on them, they arrive friday, ill see if they work, the 15wt oil and the springs might be the ticket and save me some $$, i think i got them for under $50, so I had to try them. Ill report back. It hurts to pay $150+ for springs.
  9. oughtsix

Oddometer:
    Clarke tank installed, 250 mile range or so? Also put in a new float and 127.5 main jet, to take a stab at this weird stumble. Found the plug a little sooty last weekend so I’m guessing it’s a shade rich. Moved the fuel screw back to 2.5 turns while I had it out.
    May be able to take a quick ride tomorrow and check it out. Weather turning nasty. But I’m loving how this is coming together. Bout time to head to the woods.

Attached Files:

10. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    Is it somehow easier to over tighten the drain plug than to tighen it properly?
    Just tighten it enough to compress the O ring, replace the O ring periodically (they can last for years) or if it's at all distorted, if the cover leaks at all don't tighten it, replace the O ring.
  11. Aguaski

Aguaski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A good 6 point socket is best for removing the oil drain plug. I’ve also had good success using the stock tool kit that comes with the bike. Included in the stock kit is a 19mm 6 point wrench that will fit nicely on the drain bolt. The wrench is short and doesn’t let you tug on it with a lot of leverage, but if you hold it solidly in place with one hand, and tap the wrench using a hammer with the other hand, you can remove/install the drain plug without too much risk. It’s still better to use a 6 point socket, but don’t discount using the stock wrench that gets bashed so frequently.

FYI - If you don’t have a 19mm 6 point socket then search your tool box for a 3/4” 6 point socket. The 3/4” size translates to 19.05mm. Normally I wouldn’t recommend using SAE tools on a Japanese motorcycle but the 19mm and 3/4” tools are so close in fit that it doesn’t matter.
    NC Rick, jimroid and oughtsix like this.
  12. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    59942558-E066-4AFA-97CA-7583B575D968.jpeg 10C025FC-AC27-4CC7-ACF9-57EE31C0E4D5.jpeg E1F0F3EF-5086-4B3E-A803-3D082AC4E8B2.jpeg E61703A7-DE09-4517-AB0E-89F6C5634CB6.jpeg We are just taking our 225 out for it’s first camping trip (in the trailer). I screwed around with the original petcock and have it working. I ordered a new one that came in just before the trip.

I was too cheap to buy the plastic knob so I whittled one out of aluminum.

I would love to buy a nice totally stock exhaust if anyone has one, someone drilled mine. They did a good job but I want this as quite as it can be.

anyhow petcock photos...
    GlennR, oughtsix, jut8 and 1 other person like this.
  13. oughtsix

Oddometer:
    The 127.5 main works great! Bike will rip at wot through all the gears without a stumble! Only trouble now is that it likes to die when returning to an idle, like at a traffic light. Starts right back up and idles fine.

jetting or simple idle speed adjustment?
  14. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    How far out is your fuel screw set, and what size pilot?
  15. oughtsix

Oddometer:
    2.5 turns on a size 40. Needed no choke to start with just a push of the magic button at 35 f this morning.
  16. jut8

jut8 pretty ok at bikes

Oddometer:
    Anyone know of an aftermarket chainguide for our xt225’s?
  17. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    It's too rich then. Check float level, then turn fuel screw in 1/2 turn. Mke sure choke (enrichener) piston is sealing.
    oughtsix likes this.
  18. oughtsix

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that.

when I got the bike, the choke plunger was stuck. I got it out with some effort. The bike responds to the knob but I wonder if I need to drop a couple pilots jet sizes.

float is new, and set to 14.8mm or so.
  19. Falcon1225

Falcon1225 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check out DC Plastics. I got a chain guide this summer along with a chain slider. It was easy to install. www.dcvmx.com.
    jimroid likes this.
  20. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    One size at a time. Does it have a new plunger?
    Tom S likes this.