The official XT225 thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by wickerman777, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Aguaski

Aguaski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I initially had a hard time appreciating the round headlight on the XT250 so I got a XT225. I’m very happy with my choice but I have to admit the round headlight has grown on me, and I wouldn’t have a problem buying a XT250 today. The older 80’s era XT250 is an icon from the Rambo movie. The designers of the modern XT250 must have taken their inspiration from the iconic 80’s era version. I have a greater appreciation now for the modern XT250 when I see its 80’s era roots.

Attached Files:

2. Falcon1225

Falcon1225 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    xt250 chino hills parkway11182019_2234.JPG Iconic 80's era version.
  3. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    BS, 'kid'! All motorcycles once had round headlights. And I like 'em that way!:gerg
    If you wanna go back to a real Yamaha 'icon' bike then it's the 250 Yamaha DT1 'Enduro' that came out in 1968. What is now called a Dual Sport was called an Enduro for many years. The DT1 sold like hotcakes, caused big changes in the motorcycle market & put lots of people on 2 wheels.
    I bought a new 1969 model in mainland Japan & got to ride it in Okinawa. Only got to race it one time there & won. Loved that track. Still got that bike. Over time it got stripped down to off road dirt only.
    Check out all this info.
    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=yamaha+dt1
    And ta hell with 'Rambo'. :rolleyes

DT1-1 - Copy.jpg
  4. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    CT1B was my first new bike. Wish I'd kept it.
  5. jamboa

jamboa jamboa

Oddometer:
    1965 Honda Sport 50 was first. Hey ! It had an upswept exhaust!

Attached Files:

6. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    And of course a round headlight. Lots of bikes also had upswept exhausts, aka 'high pipes'.
    jamboa likes this.
  7. jamboa

jamboa jamboa

Oddometer:
    I love round headlites. I had a beautiful 01 ZRX1200 but never could get use to the square headlite
  8. oughtsix

oughtsix Reverse Engineer

Oddometer:
    Wanted to check back in here. After a month of dicking around with this carb, I finally have it where it needs to be. Turns out, I had a leak in that cap on top of the carb that seals the diaphragm. An ear was broken off and I thought I had enough clamping force to seal it up, but apparently not. I formed up a new ear out of plastic epoxy because I couldn't find this part anywhere. May pick up a used carb of ebay just for this one day.

At either rate, it rides very well now. Tucked in the speedo will show 80. Clutch up wheelies are a thing. Had it up for sale, but now I'll just ride it until spring and see how I feel then.

edited to add:
    Must have layers of problems. Went for a longer ride and the same old problem came back. High speed miss and occasional bucking on acceleration. Finally thought to ohm out the Stator while hot. Checks out cold, but everything is out of range high hot. After an hour the stator and charge coil are in spec. Have a new on on order, so we will see...

I say I like a project. This bike is going to make me prove it.
  9. jimmytalk

jimmytalk n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey, all, I've had my 2006 XT225 for over a year now and have jumped in and out of this thread a number of times as a spectator - thanks to everyone that has contributed. Below are some pics of the XT on various day trips around southwest Ohio/southeast Indiana. I have to say, the XT is one of the most fun bikes I've owned in nearly 45 years of riding! It's closing in on 10,000 miles (5,500 of those are mine) and it runs like a top. No real engine mods have been made but it has the wider pegs, luggage rack, Acerbis hand guards, aluminum handlebars (Turner), and Shinko 244 (f) and Kenda K270 (r) tires installed. In the last pic it also has a slightly modified YZ (blue) front fender installed, a recent addition.

91010161109388_COVER.JPG IMG_20190531_195600.JPG IMG_20190924_163235.JPG IMG_20190910_201656.JPG IMG_0188.JPG IMG_4575.JPG
  10. jimroid

jimroid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^ Very good! Enjoy!
  11. jamboa

jamboa jamboa

Oddometer:
    Nice
  12. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Nice pictures, taken in IN? I'm in your area, only place I know around here with decent gravel roads.
  13. jimmytalk

jimmytalk n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Speedo66, I’m on the west side of Cincinnati and usually ride over in Dearborn County, Indiana, and points west. We probably know the exact same roads. I have a couple loops around Rising Sun and Madison that I enjoy, too, depending on how much time there is to ride.
  14. washout800

washout800 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in.
    20191208_094756.jpg Not my first color choice, but it's growing on me fast. Love the black rims
    jimroid, jamboa and HardWorkingDog like this.
  15. washout800

washout800 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The above pic was in the seller's garage.
    This is how it sits now, in my basement waiting for the remount of new Pirelli MT 21's. Also done was oil change and filter, new air filter, spark plug and carb drain bolt screw replaced. Maybe jetting done in the spring after I have had a chance to really ride it. Can't wait. XT tires.jpg
    Speedo66 and Weldman like this.
  16. jamboa

jamboa jamboa

Oddometer:
    My XT is down waiting on me getting my header and stock pipe ceramic coated matte black.
    No more fuzzy coroded header
  17. washout800

washout800 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting,,,,,pics when completed, please.
    jamboa likes this.
  18. jimroid

jimroid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I always liked the silver versions, that bike looks terrific. Check the valves right away as long as it is stripped down.
  19. washout800

washout800 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Already done. They were right in spec. Thanks.
    I also pulled the plug on the carb air screw and screw it out to two and half turns. Didn't pull the carb, just twisted it.
    The most curious thing I have found on this bike, 2003, 4,000 miles from original owner who admitted to the last few years only running it for 5 or 6 miles a summer, the spark plug when I looked at it was rusty colored. Not white like lean, but rusty. I wondered if the white lean turned rusty from sitting. I have a new plug and won't know until spring when I can really run it for awhile if it's lean. Any opinions? It sat in a nice garage. rusty.jpg now until spring when I can really ride it but I have never seen a rust colored electrode before.
    jamboa likes this.
  20. jamboa

jamboa jamboa

Oddometer:
    U asking JamBoa?
    If so I will post them before I put back on my XT. Getting it done in Louisiana and bike is in Arkansas