The official XT225 thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by wickerman777, Nov 4, 2006.

1. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Leaving for the NEBDR next Wednesday on my XT225. I will have to watch the oil. How many miles on your bikes?
  2. zeer0

zeer0 who?

Oddometer:
    Close to 16000 on mine and 15000 on my wife’s.
    NewEnglander likes this.
  3. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    oh wow, thats some damage, whats the plan now? thanks for the heads up.
  4. jamboa

jamboa jamboa

Oddometer:
    Anyone upgraded their Stator?
    I have Oxford heated grips and wanted to up the headlight wattage output as well as maybe adding small fork lights
  5. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just switch the headlight to LED then should have plenty for heated grips. Did that on my '98 xt225.
    Speedo66, simestd and jamboa like this.
  6. jamboa

jamboa jamboa

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  7. zeer0

zeer0 who?

Oddometer:
    Ordering parts tomorrow and repairing.
  8. mcman56

mcman56 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm a new 2005 XT225 owner and have a couple of questions.

1. I found a manual on line that states rear wheel travel is 7.5 inches yet all of the online specs I see say 5.7. Did some or all have 7.5? If some, what is different?
    2. The manual does not show a year but lists things like XT225-C(D-G) and XT225H(C).. Do letters correspond to certain years? What is a 2005?

See pic
    View attachment 3038372
    [​IMG]

https://ibb.co/SdsYgvr
  9. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Travel difference is probably a misprint. The first letter is a year code, you can look it up or it;s probably on your registration. The "C" stands for California.
  10. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ordered my Happy Trails rear rack on May 19, just got a Email from them saying its gonna be a few more weeks... :becca
  11. travial

travial Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I'm finally getting back around to the XT225 I'd been rebuilding. It's been sitting in my garage for 6 months while I rode my NX250 all winter and spring, but I just cracked the frame on it and really don't wanna take the engine out to fix it, so attention is going back to the XT.

I've been stuck trying to dial in the cheap Chinese carb that came with my XT225. I had previously drilled out the muffler, and cut the snorkel, but it turns out it's running really rich. Starts without choke and idles fine, but stumbles a lot right off idle, then I get surging/hesitation til around 4-5k where RPM tops out stumbling. It's got a 42.5 pilot and 130 main in there right now.

Just to test, I took the airbox cover off and the air filter out, and drove it around the block and the thing runs perfectly, and pulls hard in every RPM range. This would explain why when I bought it there was no air filter in it (and also why the engine was all effed up). The replacement one I bought is the OEM/aftermarket foam slide-in kind, but I know they sell a paper version as well.

I've got a jet kit coming in the mail tomorrow, so hopefully a smaller main jet will do it. If anyone has any tips on getting these cheapo carbs to run well please share, I'm trying to avoid dropping $300 for a TM33.

One notable thing with these Chinese carbs is they have an adjustment screw inside the float bowl in addition to the mixture screw on the bottom outside the carb. Anyone know what that does? I'm having trouble finding any info on it.
  12. heirhead

heirhead worlds worst mechanic

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    More Carb problems.
    Carb clean, jets clean, new float, new manifold to head, 2.5 turns out.
    Bike starts but no gas or choke or it won't.
    Idles great, revs great but when I ride it, runs great till high revs then cuts out back and forth like crazy.
    Cruise at 55 then nail it, bucks like a bronco.

Baffled!! any ides would be greatly appreciated.

hh
    wwm
  13. heirhead

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    Have you checked out a Cycleracks rack?
    Heavy but you can carry a fridge as bolts to frame not just to subframe.
    Just got one for XT, have had many on many different bikes, never a problem. $199 plus shipping from Idaho.

hh
    wwm
    150ron likes this.
  14. travial

travial Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, got the main jet kit in for the chinese carb I've got and here's the results. I originally had a 130 main in, and couldn't get it past about 5k rpm before major stumbling/bucking, put in a 125, got better, still stumbled at higher rpm now, put in 120, better, almost cleared up, a couple hesitations at high rpm, put in a 115 and it runs perfectly from 1/8 - WOT. I'm stumped why the jetting is so much leaner than all the other XT225's, maybe it's the Chinese carb, not sure.

Just a tip after changing jets repeatedly, on mine I can just loosen the carb boots and rotate the carb 90 degrees to access the float bowl, much easier than taking the carb all the way off.

I have a pilot jet kit coming soon to try to deal with the bog/hesitation off idle, hopefully that'll fix it. I have a 37.5 in there now but the bike starts easily without choke cold and dies at the slightest choke I try to give it.

@heirhead It sounds like you're having similar symptoms to mine, I'm not sure if your XT was running well before your problems started, but you may want to try a jet kit. I've gotten mine off amazon:
    Main jet kit
    Pilot jet kit

I did take it out on some trails yesterday for the first time, and I really like how it handled. The suspension felt good for my weight (140lbs). It doesn't have as much power as my NX250 (20 vs 25hp), but it is 40lbs or so lighter, and tracks and handles better, and it felt easier to ride fast compared to the NX. I got a flat after 5 miles or so on the trail though, and had to limp it back to the road.

Here's a pic of it at a lookout. I swapped the pristine tank I got from @TUCKERS for the old black one in case I dumped it, I do not want to mess that one up! The old tank was really rusty so I put some muriatic acid in the tank for a few hours, that cleaned it up inside pretty well:
    20210704_144440674_iOS.jpg

You can also see the "aftermarket" passenger foot peg brackets I added from a honda CBR600R, they bolted on just fine, just needed a spacer on one of the bolts.
  15. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    So where's the photo taken? I assume you jumped that gap when you left.
    Speedo66 likes this.
  16. heirhead

Oddometer:
    Hello,

Anyone have a diaphragm or extra carb they do not need?
    Thanks,

hh
    wwm
  17. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I love my tutu5. If used within the limits of it's design it is number one in choice...especially for shorter riders. Yes it's tedious on a wide open road, but fun in twisty canyons and pretty darn respectable 'off road'...I significantly lightened the rear load for off highway... B6A5CDD1-458F-4486-96C8-3DCE30946FCC.jpeg 6F317429-E985-4CAF-85BB-5CE26276AA46.jpeg
    travial and heirhead like this.
  18. heirhead

Oddometer:
    Hello James and Colleen,
    Bike looks great.
    Bought a CRF250Rally, (350 LBS), fell over just turning around, 0 mph, Noob Rally in DV, broke foot, sold bike!!
    Went back to XT, never should have left.
    Don't have an extra carb or diaphragm laying around do you?
    Happy riding.
    Wide open road, like this?
    baja 2015 084.jpg
    hh
    wwm
  19. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    . No Man, no carb parts. Is that picture Lost Coast? Yeah sold the DR650's so we could get these and carry them in the motorhome FCF706D9-86F9-45B0-A1B7-FE658E85C62D.jpeg 64812DD9-078C-4F6E-8FE6-FDE6D79DCD4D.jpeg 86E638CF-874A-4C35-82FC-FF7CC4834ED5.jpeg 32CE4C7A-0DAB-4F34-BBD0-848FB2A55FD2.jpeg
    150ron and heirhead like this.
  20. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    C46F2ACA-8A3C-48DD-ABC4-0BDCF8B693D2.jpeg
    travial and heirhead like this.