The official XT225 thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by wickerman777, Nov 4, 2006.

1. heirhead

heirhead worlds worst mechanic

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    400 miles south of Dana Point, Baja.
    Go to Catavina and hang a right one of the dirt trails. 45 miles to the Coast. Rode most of in in pitch black as had problems with my DRZ400 15 miles into the ride.
    Told friend Zach would see him later. Turned around, switched ins and gear to the mighty XT. Found him and friends 3 hours next day. Just a tad windy, lucky that that fence was there, 150' right down to the Pacific.
    Great fun!!
    baja 2015 006.jpg baja 2015 060.jpg
    baja 2015 043.jpg baja 2015 078.jpg

Happy riding,

hh
    wwm
    AZ TOM, Beachside and travial like this.
  2. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I would never assume jet numbers on carbs from China match Yamaha jet numbers....
    WayneJ likes this.
  3. heirhead

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    Bought a 10 pack of jets, all different ones, all for xt225.
    eBay of course! Not one jet was close to fitting anywhere on my xt!!
    Waste of everything. Same thing on refund, we refund half, you keep product.
    Again waste of everything, never again.

hh
    wwm
  4. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I got a carb kit off ebay for my XT200, the float needle rubber decomposed in about a week, I put the original parts back in....

But jet numbers vary per brand and who knows what, everyone's 120 is not the same....
    A jet is a jet though, so all you need to do is find the one that works like it should.

You could measure the hole size but I am unsure if you could get precise enough.
  5. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    I think 20 is optimistic, 16 is what I usually see. At that level, every one counts.

Nice location, where were you?
    travial likes this.
  6. travial

travial Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lol, with a 100ft cliff mere feet away, of course I did. Sometimes I get a good paddle backwards going and jump it in reverse. This is Signal mountain in Prentice Cooper State Forest TN, looking out over the Tennessee River.
    Speedo66 likes this.
  7. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finished the NEBDR on my 1998 XT-225. Just a hair under 2000mi from home and back. Bike was excellent and made the trip so much more enjoyable than my previous run on my Super Tenere. This bike is like a mountain bike off road.
    111621DA-AE82-401F-80C1-F5B96365BA02.jpeg 202F989B-CE48-4E2A-A0B3-658384C4C81C.jpeg 37FB59B0-B019-4136-909E-92AF6D3D843B.jpeg
    06F5C241-8CAF-4429-AA63-548F233D91EB.jpeg
    heirhead, 150ron, waspjr and 2 others like this.
  8. miks

miks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all. Writing this trailside. I have a 2000xt225. Has been running great in San Francisco (basically sea level). Trucked the bike to Oregon to some BDR. It’s running very very weak now. Can barely muster 35 on road and struggles up any incline even in first. I rebuilt the carb six years ago when I bought it and I “believe” i used the stock main jet and needle, set float height to spec etc. again, it’s been running great in Bay Area. Here in Oregon I’m at 4~6k feet. I’ve read the bike should still be ok at this elevation with stock settings but clearly it’s not. Starts up and idles fine. From about 1/2-WOT is sputters and hesitates badly. I just removed the snorkel - no change. I also removed the air box cover entirely (no change) and even the foam filter (running on pavement, no change, still sputtering).
    So my question is - is there anything I can do trailside to improve this? Doesn’t seem like adjusting idle or pilot screw is relevant. Am I correct that I most likely need a smaller main jet or anything else I can try? Smaller jet would be a trip reset because I dont have any jets with me. Thanks for any input.
  9. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm sure some of the knowledgeable denizens will be by shortly but based on my XT225 experience, I'd be surprised if you need to change jetting. Based on your symptoms and what you've tried so far, my take on it is the bike may be starving for fuel above 1/2 throttle rather than the jetting being too rich for the current altitude. A few quick things worth checking, try a run without the fuel cap on the tank in case it's not venting properly. If you have some clear tubing, check the float level. If neither of those yield any new info, I'd probably drop the float bowl and see if you see any obvious issues or contamination. Trailside, I'd start with the simplest solutions 1st - particularly on a previously well running and familiar bike. Good luck, hope you get to enjoy your trip - it's not an adventure without a bit of adversity to spice things up :doh
  10. miks

miks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pulled the plug. Black and sotty as pictured.

Attached Files:

11. miks

miks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh and my mpg has gone down from about 60mpg previously to a paltry 40-45.
  12. miks

miks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the fast reply! I’m literally debugging this from the side of the road.

just tried it with no gas cap - no difference. Fuel tube line seems filled with gas. May have to limp it into closest town and plot next steps, or perhaps others here will have more input.
  13. simestd

Oddometer:
    Is it possible that the float level is too high for some reason? That might explain the sooty plug and rich running. This video is a TW200, but the method and and approximate fuel level should be applicable:

Have you dropped the float bowl yet? Some folks have literally had the main jet come unscrewed and they find it in the bottom of the bowl.
  14. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Make sure the choke plunger is closing and sealing. Make sure spark arrestor isn't blocked, it can be hard to get to, may not work trailside.
  15. miks

miks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    haven’t dropped the float bowl yet but may have found smoking gun: the dreaded coast enrichening bypass. I remember replacing that when I bought it - it was cracked and had epoxy around it. I put a new one on and torqued boots to spec. Has been great last 8k miles. Well, I was just rotating the carb a little and the 90-Deg section literally fell off! I don’t understand the carb well enough to know if this would cause a rich setting but it certainly can’t be helping. Anyway, I have some crazy glue and have tried to glue it back on. I’m hoping to limp into nearest town and check it out further - make a better repair, drop the bowl etc. would a cracked coast enrichener bypass explain the boggy performance?

Attached Files:

16. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    My suspicion is that that's a fresh break and not what was causing your problem, nonetheless it needs to be fixed.
  17. simestd

Oddometer:
    Here's what the service manual says about the function

xt225_coasting _enricher.png

It looks like Rocky Mountain ATV may have the cover in stock https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/mikuni-cv-carburetor-side-cover-p?v=5660

For a temp repair, Loctite makes a plastic specific epoxy that I've had good luck with - most home improvement stores will have it

loctite_plastic_epoxy.jpeg
  18. Aguaski

Aguaski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey miks, smell your oil. Does it smell like gas? Is it possible that you transported your bike with the fuel petcock on? If yes, gas may have sloshed it’s way through the carb and down into your oil. It can happen. You may have fuel rich oil which is causing an overall rich condition. That plug pic you posted reminded me of a similar situation with a riding buddy. A quick oil change may be the only trail side repair you need to get rolling again. Keep us posted.
    simestd likes this.
  19. heirhead

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    Carb problems fixed, sort of.
    Friend from Idaho just brought XT down to me 2 weeks ago.
    He bought this Ca bike years ago and it never ran as good as his other one with 3 times the miles.
    Well I took it down the street and bucked hard when gassed.
    Cleaned carb out but still ran like crap but idled and took off great.
    After paying more attention to it noticed plastic washer to hold needle down with spring was missing,
    no wonder bike was jumping all around.
    Also noticed tears in Diaphragm.
    Well put a metal washer on, Gorilla duct tape over tears, just to see if that worked.
    Ran perfect all through gears at any RPMs.
    Now will spend $ on new slide and needle kit.
    Yeah!!!

hh
    wwm
    travial likes this.
  20. miks

miks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks for the info. I found some similar epoxy at the local hardware store and did the repair last night. The stock Oring is too big and wouldn’t let the broken part mate (I suspect this is some of the flaw of this design - the pressure from the Oring is constantly bending the cover). I replaced the Oring with one I cut out from the silicone rescue tape I have, and also used a little grease for sealing. Then epoxied the whole part liberally and even covered with some Quicksteel for good measure. Took for a spin after everything cured. It’s better, can hit 50 on road now, but still hesitates and bogs a bit. Will check the oil for gas next (yes, traveled with petcock open). Not sure I can get any moto oil nearby. Thanks all for the input!

Attached Files:

norton73, simestd and 150ron like this.