The official XT225 thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by wickerman777, Nov 4, 2006.

1. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    glad you got it sorted, the coast enrichner cover breaking there at the top just like yours is VERY COMMON, happens all the time, happened to mine too, replaced and the bike runs perfectly, enjoy the rest of your trip.
  2. miks

miks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Changed the oil out per suggestion. Bike runs ok - still lags a bit from 0~1/2 throttle. I’m thinking probably a needle adjustment. my coaster enrichener cover epoxy job appears to be holding up. But it’s all good enough to ride with and can now hit 55 on the occasional tarmac. Will troubleshoot further when I’m back home.
    Otherwise, good times on the OR BDR.

Attached Files:

TCNG, heirhead, Geezerguy and 2 others like this.
  3. TCNG

TCNG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a set of rear grab handles they'd like to sell? My XT didn't come with them and figured it's about time to bolt some on now that I'm riding it more...
  4. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you don't find a set by the first week in August, I have a set you can have for the price of shipping. I am currently on a road trip and won't be home until then.
    TCNG likes this.
  5. TCNG

TCNG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No rush, I appreciate it! Enjoy your trip!
  6. miks

miks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finished up an out and back on Route 3 of the OR BDR, ~800miles. The little 225 did fine generally although it’s still lagging a bit at low throttle; probably needs a carb clean and reset. The broken coast enrichener cover was a bummer given that I replaced it 6 years ago with a brand new one and have mostly used this bike for city cruising. If you’re planning a big ride I’d suggest taking a quick look at yours for cracks near the top 90 bend. Thanks to all for the trailside help. All in all, good times for both Pooh and I.

IMG_3061.jpg
    IMG_3065.jpg
    IMG_3057.jpg
    IMG_3067.jpg
    travial, JB44, NewEnglander and 5 others like this.
  7. zeer0

zeer0 who?

Oddometer:
    She lives! It’s always nerve-wracking starting a bike after tearing down, splitting the cases, inspecting and repairing. Had to go with an aftermarket piston because stock is on back order until the 23rd of July, or maybe later. Hope it holds.
    Fired up immediately with no leaks, or any other issues. Whew!

travial, 150ron, NewEnglander and 2 others like this.
  8. gregfish

gregfish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just posted my 1996 XT225 in the flea market. Has major up grades and accessories, 7020 miles and asking $2300 for it. Located in McDonough Ga. Please give it a look. Thanks
  9. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What side racks are you using to keep those nice Moskos away from the hot parts? Looks like a nice setup.
  10. miks

miks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s the Happy Trails rack. Worked great with the MM Backcountry 25l panniers. I’ve also had the MM Reckless 40 and a Altrider Hemisphere and I prefer the panniers over both of those, at the cost of some weight. So much easier to access gear in the panniers. The rack is a direct bolt on and just requires a little rewiring to install the turn signals. Solid base for the panniers once installed.
    NewEnglander likes this.
  11. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    great deal! if i was in the market id buy that in a heartbeat! GLWS.
  12. CrashBar

CrashBar Just Wanna Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    450 miles this weekend, lots of woods riding in Central NH plus riding up and back from Boston. XT was flawless. Love the Clarke tank, 300 mile range while doing that kind of riding. Just got my seat concepts seat and will install before the next trip.

The combination of very low 1st gear, low seat height, and knobbies means it goes up and over anything, maybe not fast but it goes, and is very confidence inspiring.

IMG_7176.JPG

Attached Files:

Beachside, NewEnglander, TCNG and 2 others like this.
  13. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Fantastic!

14. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    $45 seat upgrade [​IMG]
    Go to Wal-Mart, get the Coleman seat cover $19.99 then at the next aisle the Gel Honeycomb seat cushion for $24.99,
    Put the seat cushion on the seat, the Coleman cover on top, and enjoy, its SO much better, seat height also raised 1 1/2", so your knees drop down which puts more of your leg weight on pegs, instead of your butt, less pressure, I'm 5'9 and its great, still can easily flat foot both feet. Its much more comfortable now, a bit wider too [​IMG][​IMG] coleman1.jpg xt225 seat cover2.jpg xt225 seat cover3.jpg xt225 seat cover4.jpg
    NewEnglander likes this.
  15. miks

miks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was about to get a replacement coast enrichener cover for the one that broke on my recent trip. Someone linked to one above at RMATV for about $30, and there are some on ebay as well for similar price. But I then noticed you can get a *whole carb* for about the same price, like the link below (over 100 sold with allegedly positive feedback). Obviously not an OEM part but does anyone have any experience positive or negative with these replacement carbs? For the same money it seems like a deal to basically have an entire second carb for parts. Or are these cheap versions no good? Thanks for any input.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392934174405?hash=item5b7cb3aec5:g:Dh0AAOSwoAlfhS~s
  16. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    that's exactly what I did, bought a complete $34 eBay carb for the coast enrichment cover, been great for over 2 years now.
  17. miks

miks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right on. Yeah, it seems almost too good to be true. Good to know it's legit. I think I'll grab the carb and try it out. Thanks!
    NewEnglander likes this.
  18. gregfish

gregfish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just posted a complete kick start kit for an XT225 on the flea market. I'm asking $325 shipped to you. If interested please give it a look. Thanks
  19. Nortonbrian

Nortonbrian nortonbrian Supporter

Oddometer:
    check spark plug color, black=rich, white=lean.
  20. pumpguy

pumpguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm interested. How do we get together?