The official XT225 thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by wickerman777, Nov 4, 2006.

1. gregfish

gregfish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The kick start kit is sold ! Thank you
    TCNG likes this.
  2. gregfish

gregfish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just posted a nice factory fuel tank in the flea market if anyone is interested. It's from a 1996 XT225. I'm asking $125 plus shipping. I'm in McDonough Ga. 30252 Thanks
  3. KamperBob

KamperBob Recreation Engineer

Oddometer:
    Hey folks. Couple of drive chain and sprocket questions.

1. Anyone upsize the rear sprocket from 45T stock? I see Moose Racing lists both 53 and 58 tooth options. But! They're aluminum not steel. That gives me pause. Curious to hear experiences from others who geared down their XT225 from ponies into mules.

2. Anyone upsize the drive chain/sprockets from 428 to something stronger, like 520 for example? I'm tired of wimpy 428 stretching. Researching, some chain sites say 428 is only rated for up 100 or 125 cc bikes. Hm.

Thanks!
  4. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    50 tooth is popular and is available in steel. Quality 428 chain, like what comes on the bike, is more than adequate.
    150ron likes this.
  5. KamperBob

KamperBob Recreation Engineer

Oddometer:
    Thanks lamotovita. I vaugely recall a 50T rear option a number of years ago, but fresh research hasn't turned up that again. If you can share more details (brand, supplier, links) that would be great!
  6. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    https://procycle.us/model/yamaha/xt225/drivetrain
  7. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    4E446FDB-C1DC-4961-BFD9-7A3A1E2F8D60.jpeg
    Down in WNC in the Black Mt. range of the Appalachian Mts. Been riding 20 miles up and down a mountainous county road, curve after curve. You can keep the Dragon, hadn’t seen another vehicle once I got on it.

All narrow blind curves with no guard rails, if you F up you are really F’d because there are huge drops and no one around. My big worry was cars or pickups being over the line, but never saw any.

This picture was taken at the only place wide enough to stop. On the way back to where I’m staying, on a slightly wider less curvy road I got behind an older guy on a vintage Harley 3 wheeler doing 30, and he wouldn’t let me pass. lol

Finally came to a spot where the curves were small enough to see ahead, and I passed him over a double yellow.

The little XT did fine on the roads, transitioned nicely on the curves, and seemed not to have any problem with the 4000-5000’ altitude. I could climb long moderate hills on a divided road at 65 in 5th with no problem.

I did a 60 mile loop altogether this afternoon, great little bike!
    norton73, JB44 and NewEnglander like this.
  8. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Don’t forget the benefit of the attractive look. lol

I’ve got the same seat cover on mine, and it does help.
    150ron likes this.
  9. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finally!! This rack is very well made. 20210722_160257.jpg 20210722_160429.jpg
    JB44 likes this.
  10. pumpguy

pumpguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have to suspect that their 50 tooth sprocket for the XT 225 s not dished like the stock 45 tooth is. If this is so, there will be alignment problems between it and the CS sprocket. and also through the chain guide, and maybe rub on the tire too.

I will call them when they open and get the straight story, and post their reply.

If dished, I will be ordering that along with a 14 T CS sprocket and their 3mm square box wrench for valve adjustment.
  11. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    I don't know why you're so suspicous. It's a common sprocket available through any dealer or aftermarket parts supplier.
  12. pumpguy

pumpguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I have read reports that larger than stock 45T rear sprockets for the XT 225 when ordered came in as a common flat type, not dished. Checking with JT Sprockets among others, all their larger than std 45T sprockets are flat type.

As far as ProCycle is concerned, its all academic for now because their 50T XT 225 sprockets are back ordered until mid September, so don't have any on the shelf to check if they're dished or not.

That said, I was told ProCycle has sold several dozen 50T sprockets for the XT 225 in the past year and had no complaints. So hopefully the 50T sprocket is dished.

I'll do more checking and see what I learn.
  13. pumpguy

pumpguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just checked with my local large volume dealer, and was told "Sorry, only 45T rear sprocket available for the XT 225. "

So the search continues......
  14. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    A deck screw with a square hole, bent 90deg with a torch, makes a dandy valve adj. wrench.
    travial likes this.
  15. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    JB44 likes this.
  16. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    happy trails.jpg happy trails1.jpg happy trails2.jpg
    heirhead and waspjr like this.
  17. pumpguy

pumpguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Checking with Sunstar now to get confirmation that the 50T steel sprocket is dished or has necessary offset. I was not able to find actual dimensions on SunStar website.

I have some square socket head steel deck screws in my bits bins, but nothing 3 mm square. Hope others find this suggestion useful.

Thanks to all that replied to this thread. Your efforts are very much appreciated.
  18. heirhead

heirhead worlds worst mechanic

Oddometer:
    Hello,

Why not just run a 13 front, easy to change? $15.00.

hh
    wwm
  19. pumpguy

pumpguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that would give a nice low ratio. That said, I like to run more teeth on the CS sprocket to improve life and make it easier on the chain.
  20. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    I should have mentioned that aluminum sprockets are available from PBI, made in Oregon. I think all the steel sprockets come from China and may be subject to supply chain issues.