The official XT225 thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by wickerman777, Nov 4, 2006.

1. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the crappy pictures in advance, my phone camera got a bit shaken and won’t focus anymore. Had a blast on some really washed out roads. This bike is like a motorized mountain bike. I climbed up a trail that looked impossible at first. Just a rubble pile of rocks. I had a 1 ft ledge I came up to and just lifted the bike up by the passenger handhold. Gotta love this flyweight bike.
    909CB6D3-D8E7-4681-8CE9-3D555051A323.jpeg 2913D008-C690-4DB2-B8D0-B4C4EFDA1452.jpeg 272D4211-E82A-4127-938F-D57EAC2F32B2.jpeg
    This area really got hit by some heavy downpours. Lots of wrecked trails and roads. The pics are of the easier parts of the trail. Couldn’t stop to take pictures of the bad stuff. I was concentrating too hard. No, I didn’t cross the bridge.
    travial likes this.
  2. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Both my XT225 and TTR125 have a tiny leak (1-2 drops of oil every week) from the shift shaft seal, anybody here ever had that? XT is 22 years old, TTR is 20, anybody here ever replace that seal? TTR125 4.jpg TTR125 5.jpg
  3. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you sure it's not the countershaft seal? To replace the shifter seal you'll want a clutch cover gasket so you can take the shift shaft out.
    150ron likes this.
  4. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks to be from the shift shaft seal, but its such a tiny amount, i may just let it be till it gets worse. just funny how its the same exact leak/location on both of my yamaha's.
  5. pumpguy

pumpguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haven't had that problem yet, thankfully. Not even familiar with what type of seal is used.

That said, if this is a lip seal and not an O ring, some of these lip seals are available with a double lip ID.

If you can determine the dimensions of the seal, you might check with a commercial bearing supplier to see if they can supply a double lip version.

Good luck.
    150ron and KamperBob like this.
  6. Slojoe

Slojoe Easily Amused

Oddometer:
    The easy way to remove the shifter seal, drill a very small hole in the seal then use a small diameter screw (sheetrock screw) run into the hole just enough to get a good hold in the seal and pull the seal out. Use a deep socket to push the new seal in place.
    zeer0, MC_Collector, norton73 and 2 others like this.
  7. heirhead

heirhead worlds worst mechanic

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    Carb problem?
    New diaphragm, new jets, new choke parts that go into carb!
    Bike will not start if I choke it OR give it gas. No gas, starts, idles, runs great.
    When running, pulling choke on or off is no difference but cable works fine.
    Something still fishy!!
    Sold my xt and TW because of always having carb problems, mainly pilot clogged from Ethanol and bought FI CRF250L Rally but to damn heavy, sold it.
    Went back to another xt and same problems. Hello Lectron??
    Thanks for any comments.

hh
    wwm
  8. zeer0

zeer0 who?

Oddometer:
    If it starts great with no throttle, and runs great, then why worry about it? My 89 Hawk GT will not start with the choke. Been like that for years, and I don’t see the need to poke around and possibly make it run or start poorly.
  9. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    What jets did you install?
    How many miles on bike?
    What were the symptons before you worked on the carb?
    heirhead likes this.
  10. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Gas does not clog jets, no matter what kind of gas.
    Dirt clogs jets.
    Now if you leave gas sit in a carb, it can go bad an clog things, but all you have to do is keep gas from sitting in a carb.
    Just open the drain screw and leave it open if a bike sits.

I have never had a problem with a carb in the last 20 years.
    Maybe just buy the procycle jet kit and install after a good cleaning and be done with it?

I would NOT buy ebay jet kits for Yamaha bikes as jet numbers and types do not match.
    The parts I got for my xt200 were junk and worthless.

For the enrichener type choke not working, the idle speed is too high or a port is clogged.
    Unlike a choke, the enrichener only works at idle, it does squat at anything above idle.

JB44 and heirhead like this.
  11. heirhead

Oddometer:
    That works at sea level and 75 deg.
    Not sure how that would work at 9,000 ft and 28 deg? Want choke and all other bike parts to work properly.

Clogged pilot, barely start, barely run.

Carb completly cleaned, clogged pilot.
    ProCycle rebuild kit, never but crap from Ebay. unless oem.
    Do you use Ehananol gas from Ca. only, unless you are out of state? Didn't think so being from NJ.
  12. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use 87 octane with 10% ethanol here in cali, over 15k miles on my XT2225, never a single carb issue, i turn the fuel petcock to OFF about 2 blocks away from home, so when i pull into the driveway it sputters and shuts off after a few seconds, i always run it dry and keep the battery on a tender when im not gonna use it for a few days. starts right up every time next time, i only need to choke it for 5-10 seconds max, then its ready to go. have you checked your coast enrichner cover? those break all the time, and cause bad running conditions, check it for a crack or break towards the very top.
    heirhead and Speedo66 like this.
  13. heirhead

Oddometer:
    Hello,

Have tried that along with many others. Have had 4 TWs and now as just got another, 5 xt225s.
    Have had those carb problems with at least 3/4 of them.
    Never had any other probs except one stator on an xt.
    Did you but an aftermarket $40.00 carb for your bike?

hh
    wwm
  14. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    The gas in NJ all has ethanol in it. Has for many years.
    No carb problems if it does not sit in the carb and the gas tank is clean (rust kills).

Gum up a FI bike and it costs a lot more to fix!
    150ron likes this.
  15. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im using the stock carb, all stock bike, those $40 Ebay carbs are a hit or a miss, out of lets say 10 people that buy them, seems it only works out for about 1 of them. i bought one a few years ago just to take the coast enrichment cover off of it and put it on my stock carb, since at the time i couldn't find it by itself, still good today.

you can always try a 2013 and up XT250, they are EFI, similar to the XT, weighs 290 pounds, so a bit heavier, but its a 5 gear transmission.
    heirhead likes this.
  16. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    ACD8DC5B-50C5-45BD-B490-4A4851C2164C.jpeg 06C9A383-F8A1-4D35-BBA3-A52415B6DF43.jpeg 300ECEE6-EB9D-4B21-A2E3-35A08A6AFBA9.jpeg C55760F7-103B-445F-8F36-C5DA3A663BDE.jpeg 883BB8B9-A393-49AD-AA26-94E54B2B2D38.jpeg
    Just finished up a month in WNC, amazing roads that frequently turn to dirt with no warning.

Beautiful views up in the Blue Ridge Mts. and nice hikes off the Pkwy that often end at gorgeous waterfalls.

Temps were 50’s in the mornings, and never got that hot at 4500-5500’. Not a hiccup from the XT, regardless of altitude climbed nicely.
    JB44, norton73 and NewEnglander like this.
  17. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would love to have a month off on my XT225. Looks like you had an awesome time. Nice pictures.
    Speedo66 likes this.
  18. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    What size pilot jet?
    Did you shim needle?
    What is your fuel screw setting?
    heirhead likes this.
  19. heirhead

Oddometer:
    Stock
    No
    Having 5, I have tried every mod out there and some came up by myself.
    Other than 2.5 + on fuel screw bike did not do much different, no bang for buck or work.
    Just louder and way worse MPG.

Thanks,

hh
    wwm
  20. heirhead

Oddometer:
    The XT I just got was given to me by a friend that just got an 18 XT250. Heavier and 5 spd, BUT it starts every time,
    even when sitting and still runs great at elevation.
    I thought that about the cheap carb!

Thanks,

hh
    wwm
    150ron likes this.