The official XT225 thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by wickerman777, Nov 4, 2006.

1. travial

travial Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, any idea where to buy a couple XT225 spokes for a rear wheel, or anyone have a couple I could buy off you? I broke a spoke and subsequently popped my rear tube before I realized...
  2. pumpguy

pumpguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recently got a 92 XT 225 that has a rear wheel re-spoked with heavy duty stainless steel spokes from Buchanans. The PO gave me the old set. I haven't checked if they are all the same or not.

In any event, if you're interested in any of these old spokes, let me know which you need and how to get them to you.
    Beachside and travial like this.
  3. CrashBar

CrashBar Just Wanna Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mods continue, Seat Concepts seat, big improvement over stock. Seat and Clarke tank really make it look like a serious (if 7/8 scale) dirt bike. B0ED8927-170E-4324-BA40-350593045A2F.jpeg DAEDCE91-8522-4344-BBA0-E12C3887480E.jpeg 2695A289-5A55-4621-9A4A-30DABFD23BC5.jpeg
    Speedo66, norton73, JB44 and 3 others like this.
  4. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Nice play bike for the inseam challenged....looks great!
  5. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Came out great, you did a good job on the seat , if they made a TALL version id buy one instantly.
  6. CrashBar

Oddometer:
    It actually feels a bit taller than the stock seat. Maybe less sag? Ok by me either way, I can flat foot my GS, but I can actually walk the XT up/down anything. It’s a lot more confidence inspiring. I can ride anything I can walk through.

Did an oil change yesterday, whole thing took less time than it takes to get the skid plate off the GS. One of the great things about the 225 (that got lost on the 250) is the skid plate, one bolt and it’s off.

I’m done with phase 1 now. October will be a week in the woods camping, the puppy dog route and some of the VT/NH sections of the NEBDR. This winter I’m doing the kick starter install, XT350 forks, and TT225 rear hub /DID alloy rim. Maybe rear shock upgrade too. Then it will be TAT ready.

Preaching to the converted here but the ability to add the 4 gallon tank and kick start makes it a perfect zombie apocalypse bike
    NewEnglander and norton73 like this.
  7. KamperBob

KamperBob Recreation Engineer

Oddometer:
    Hey neighbor. Sorta. My house in Westboro is now a rental while I roam the lower 48. But I return every spring and fall for chores. Maybe we can say hey in person some day. I didn't know anything about NEBDR. Thanks!

I added the same seat to my 06 last fall. The foam is MUCH firmer. Too much for some. That's how I got it from another inmate. The wider part does feel weird and takes some getting use to it. But it works for me. Hopefully it won't split at the seams like the stock seat cover did.

I just replaced my electric starter last week. Was bummed to learn Yamaha discontinued the kicker kit. Curious how you sourced it.
  8. CrashBar

Oddometer:
    The minor parts you can still source individually. Occasionally someone is selling the other parts used (I got mine from an inmate here).

pictures are a list of all the parts and details on where you can buy them if available. Warning I have not done the install yet so no guarantee this is perfect.

Attached Files:

KamperBob likes this.
  9. KamperBob

Oddometer:
    Got the big sprockets on this weekend.

Big Picture.JPG

For comparison with stock 120/80-18 rear wheel at 55mph the engine turned 5,710rpm stock. That's well below the 6,500rpm peak torque point. Apparently the original Japanese serow 50T rear sprocket was reduced to 45T for US; maybe due to higher speed limits. At 55mph a JP stock serow would turn the engine at 6,344rpm. Staying in the power band interests me. Especially at 38k miles, mine doesn't pull the hills in high gear like she used to do; she fades so I end up downshifting.

In my case further motivation was going the wrong direction when I upsized the rear wheel to 140/80-18. Then at 55mph the engine turned at 5,442rpm; a bit lower on the torque curve. So double handicap combined with aging powertrain. I ride 25-55mph roads; ability to go 70+ doesn't even interest me at all. So what the 17/55 gearing did for my "Half Pint" was tweak her power band in a happier direction by correcting the big tire effect plus a bit more. At 55mph she turned 5,870rpm.

Next I swapped the 17T sprocket for 16T front. That further pushed her power band. Now at 55mph she turns 6,237rpm. It's like staying in passing gear all the time now. Yes, it's a bit revvy and buzzy. But so far I like it.

Eventually, once this 140 tire wears out I'll return to 120 width as well as the 17T front sprocket. With that combo at 55mph she will turn 6,158rpm.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Closer view of 55T rear.

55T Rear Closer.JPG

17T front didn't clear front chaincase by much, but it did clear.

17T Front.JPG

The cover did interfere a bit. I forced it on, bolted it down and went for a ride to see how bad it rubbed. No problem rolling forward with any tension whatsoever on the chain. Decelerating was when the chain goes tight on bottom, slack on top and sorta wads up on the drive sprocket. Then it became audible and the chain chewed a little plastic off the inside of the cover.

Chewed Cover.JPG

Not unlike top wear on the wiper rail as the chain feeds across the swingarm into the gearbox. I'll eventually trim excess material then use JB Weld to build up a wider clearance surface inside the cover. Meanwhile, the 16T front sprocket seems a good pairing for the 55T rear and 140 width tire; for how I ride anyway. YMMV
    heirhead and travial like this.
  10. pumpguy

pumpguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can you tell us more about your 55T rear sprocket?

Is it steel or aluminum?

Who sells it?

Does it have the same offset as the readily available OEM 45 and 50 tooth sprockets?
  11. KamperBob

Oddometer:
  12. woofer2609

woofer2609 Less flow, more Gnar

Oddometer:
    Hi Everyone, I have come to the realization that my XT, which was stolen 2 years ago, will probably not be returned. If anyone in Canada is interested, I do have a TTR230 wheel that is set up to work with the XT225 and provides better braking and stronger spokes. I have the whole wheel assembly with axle, spacers etc. It is plug and play. PM me if interested. I say Canada, as shipping to the US will be incredibly expensive, I think.
  13. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you describe how you set up the 230 wheel to fit your 225?
  14. woofer2609

Oddometer:
    IIRC, all I had to do was redrill the sprocket bolt holes a bit larger to accommodate the dished XT rear sprocket.
  15. Aguaski

Aguaski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did a pretty lengthy write-up describing my TTR to XT wheel conversion. It is a desirable upgrade that is hard to find. For more information on how I did my conversion search back in this thread for post 16,558, which was made on November 2, 2020.
  16. Aguaski

Aguaski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I figured out how to repost #16,588

17. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but I was asking about converting a TTR230 wheel.
  18. woofer2609

Oddometer:
    That's right! I forgot about filing the slot in the pumpkin! The TTR wheels are a bit heavier, but very strong, in my experience.
  19. Aguaski

Aguaski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m going to guess it was a typo by the poster to call it a TTR230 conversion. He probably meant TTR225. I’ve never heard of a TTR230 wheel being converted to fit the XT225, but it is certainly possible to convert a TTR225 wheel to fit the XT225. The TTR230 has a different hub that would be difficult to convert. TTR225 conversions are well documented, including my post.
  20. woofer2609

Oddometer:
    Sorry, my bad, it must have been a ttr225. I'll confirm, I'm a little vague as I did this 7 or 8 years ago.
    Edit: Yup, confirmed, TTR225 rear wheel.
    FWIW, XT350 front wheels are a direct swap with the XT225
    KamperBob likes this.