The official XT225 thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by wickerman777, Nov 4, 2006.

1. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    im currently using this honeycomb style seat cushion under the coleman seat cover, its pretty good honestly, and raised the height by like a inch and a half. xt225 seat cover2.jpg xt225 seat cover3.jpg xt225 seat cover4.jpg
    RatBikeRandy likes this.
  2. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    I found a lightly used shock/spring from a TTR225, bolts right in.

Heavier duty than the stock stuff, very inexpensive.
  3. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    9E3AA25E-1419-47EE-A9CC-86D4732C583F.jpeg
    I bought the cheapest set on EBay, cut off the mounts, and welded them over the stock pegs.

Cost around $12 and difference in height is only about 1/4".
    heirhead and jacktwitch like this.
  4. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you know what the two spring rates are?
  5. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    No, just that the TTR is heavier.

Very unscientific. lol
  6. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    Since this thread has the XT-225 experienced folks, I thought I'd post this in here: What are the thoughts on the XT as a 'starter' off road bike for an experienced (39 years) road rider? I've never done much off road riding but I'm kind of getting the itch now that I've ridden pretty much every paved road in a ~200 mile radius of Denver. I've ridden on a few well graded dirt roads (like Nighthawk Hill between Sprucewood and the Platte River) on my road bikes but I think a small dual sport would be a lot of fun and let me explore areas that I'd be reluctant to take a heavy road bike into.

Seem like a lot of XT-225s and a few XT-250's available on the used market in my desired sub-$3k price range. Any pros and cons or any particular years to seek out or avoid? I've seen XT's as old as 1993 for sale, were they pretty much the same for all years or were there major changes that might make a newer bike more desirable?

Thanks in advance!
  7. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    If you have lots of 225s to choose from you are in a unique market, they're pretty scarce in most of the U S. They were significantly improved around the turn of the century. One reason they might not be too popular near you is the elevation. A 225 is pretty mild power at sea level so at high elevation it will be bordering on anemic. A fuel injected XT250 might be better for you, or a bigger engine.
    woofer2609 and norton73 like this.
  8. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I'd get the lowest miles fuel injection XT250 I could find within my budget regardless of manufacture year.
    kmccarthy and JB44 like this.
  9. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2006 xt with z1 mod and air/fuel screw tuned at 1200ft would stomp my 2022 klr at sea level. I have no idea at high elevaton. Xt has 30k miles on it. Always seemed to break in more as miles clicked away. Roll on was impressive compared to anything. Havnt ridden an xt 250 yet for comparison. The last years I commuted on it I treated like a 4 speed and omitted 1st and 6th when short tripping. Still say at the top of the list in my bike history. The cramped ergos was the only negative issue. Thinking about an xt250 or tw lately. I actually prefered the engine characteristics to even a drz. Probably go tw for the carb. And I still have the beat up xt if I wanna go that route. For complete rebuild- mostly chassis.

And the whole fuel getting old in float bowl thing. This was why 2007 was last year. Just tilt bike on its side and let it run out the overflow. Was all over the forums back then about the fuel loosing its volatility. Warranty claims, confused dealers, and angry customers killed the bike off. If the bike sits with fuel in the bowl in certain weather it only takes a few days before its a nightmare to start.
  10. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    You have a new 650???
    Dno likes this.
  11. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup
    20210910_133411.jpg
    150ron likes this.
  12. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No xt though. Feels like a touring bike.
  13. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    The Tdub is more cramped than the XT. TTR has more room. We've had two of each. I rode a new XT250...more room, more grunt, but in reality neither are dirt bikes..even the TTR is a 'play bike' if you are considering serious dirt at speeds you may want to look for a long suspension travel bike if seat height isn't an issue.
    Dno likes this.
  14. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Light street legal bike to go in truck bed to ride the mountains 400 miles away. Already did the rxv550 and still have it as street legal dirtbike. XTs are supreme for all around. And little beasts on knarly trails. TW would do well in the deep sand around here though. Both klr and what ever is next have to do double duty 2up work. The 225 did fine at this. Drz did really well. But I like air cooled carbed yamahas. Might just refurbish the 2006.
  15. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    Cool, I hadn't seen one yet, although saying that your 225 will stomp it doesn't sound like a glowing recommendation.
  16. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The xt was tuned. Klr weighs almost 200lbs more. EFI on the klr is great but not tuned. Feels held back by the cat too.
  17. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great day out on the 225. This little bike never ceases to amaze with its off road capability.
    C3C28B62-D474-449B-8E24-A0443DA8F204.jpeg
    Unclescar and JB44 like this.
  18. CrashBar

CrashBar Just Wanna Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where is that ?
  19. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is on the Flatlander AR route in southwest NH near Rindge.
  20. CrashBar

CrashBar Just Wanna Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    These are from the same area Rindge / Ashburnham, on the Tomato Trail and the Mid-State (Mass) trail.

map.jpg mud 1.jpg mud 2.jpg stone.jpg water.jpg
    NewEnglander and Dno like this.