The official XT225 thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by wickerman777, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    ED0CE4E9-DE3B-4C2B-8E8D-172756FB75A5.jpeg
    Can’t see much of the bike unfortunately but the XT held its own on a small group ride through Wayne Nat’l. Forest in the Hocking Hills area of OH 2 weekends ago. The Wailin’ Wayne Weekend.

Combination of dirt and gravel roads, muddy trails through the forest, and some on road time on the curvy “triple nickel” OH 555.

Three 100 mile days of this and it did great, me, not so much. Beat me up a little, at 74 I needed some recovery time. lol
  2. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take the xt in that muck any day over the big bikes.
    NewEnglander, norton73 and Speedo66 like this.
  3. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s awesome you are out there givin er the beans! You are doing great for 74!
    Speedo66 likes this.
  5. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Nah, thanks, but just average. Should’ve been a little faster through the woods.
    heirhead likes this.
  6. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you ever been on 26 heading east out of Marietta? Wonderful and technical with off camber hairpins. Never been on a bike on it. Investigated the rode mid winter. Wanted to come back with drzsm. XT would be awesome also. Great pic in above post. Almost see some envy from your riding pals. Ha
    Speedo66 likes this.
  7. heirhead

heirhead worlds worst mechanic

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    Only 68 here and still doing it. You’re doing great.
    Never, should of been faster, ONLY, should of been SLOWER!!

hh
    wwm
    Speedo66 likes this.
  8. CrashBar

CrashBar Just Wanna Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    Clarke Tank. 4.1 Gallons, works great. Not much larger than the stock + air scoops
    heirhead and NewEnglander like this.
  9. Michelangelo

Michelangelo 2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer:
    Brand new to the XT225 world. What other model bikes use the same rear sprocket? TW200, TTR250? Any other different makes perhaps?

I'm wanting to find a rear aluminum in 48 or 50 T (no I don't want to go smaller on countershaft?What's the deal with the dished vs no dished? OEM XT ones are dished and no one is making aftermarket dished, or does PBI make a dished one in aluminum?
  10. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes.
  11. pumpguy

pumpguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sunstar offers a 50T dished sprocket in steel. I got mine from Chaparral @ $33.90.

Sunstar P/N is 2-210450. Chaparral # is 394-1056.
  12. KamperBob

KamperBob Recreation Engineer

Oddometer:
    I'm curious who else may've had to rebuild their swingarm action.
  13. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I never did but I did lube linkage. Mine developed play in one bushing almost since new. 30k later the play was about the same. The swingarm pivot bolt I did loosen to make sure it wasnt siezed in the engine case and then torqued back. Ive checked on the parts over the years and last I checked seemed very reasonable. I believe there is a shim stack on swingarm bolt to get clearence right.

At this point my bike really needs at least complete chassis rebuilt and topend gaskets. Along with rims and spokes from salt rot.

You could grease everything and its easier to get a good feel with shock disconnected and wheel removed. Wont take long to grease every thing. I think manual states lithium soap grease. The setup is kinda advanced for the bikes nature.
  14. KamperBob

KamperBob Recreation Engineer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing. Yeah, parts don't seem expensive. I just have to tear it down and see what needs replacing. Mine too needs engine gaskets so it's a scope creep project. I'm curious which "one" bushing was your culpit? Mibe was in storage several years. A few grease nipples are stuck so the whole rear suspnsion needs a complete once over. At 39k miles I can't complain.
  15. underontop

underontop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all. I've done about 10,000 miles on my XT over the last couple of years, all of it up & down a really rough track between home and a nice coffee shop. Just discovered this thread, I'm usually over with the BMW G650gs-ers.
    I wonder if anyone has gotten annoyed enough with the loudish exhaust note when the bike's pulling hard to find a quieter muffler ? I'm not inot performance or weight loss, just quieter.....

Update on this....I discovered the exhaust discharging straight onto the number plate was the issue...bent the plate corner up out of the way..presto..wish I'd investigated more closely years ago.
    heirhead likes this.
  16. underontop

underontop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have. Complete set new bushes etc...at about 4,000 miles...previous owner never lubed & let it sit around. I change the oil as soon as it starts losing clarity, and lube the suspension at same time.
    NewEnglander and KamperBob like this.
  17. glory racing

glory racing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Getting an xt for the better half to begin riding again. Looks like I have lots of reading to do.
    KamperBob and norton73 like this.
  18. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you sell this tank? I'd be interested in it. Sent you a PM.
  19. CrashBar

CrashBar Just Wanna Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    600 miles over the last 3 days, Boston to Brattleboro in the bomb cyclone Wednesday morning, then up the puppy dog route (all dirt) to the Canadian border, then back down for a stretch on section 6 of the NEBDR. In Lebanon NH tonight with another 175 miles tomorrow on the Hampster Route back to the Mass border and then home. 225 kicked ass the whole way, never missed a beat.

Attached Files:

20. heirhead

heirhead worlds worst mechanic

Oddometer:
    Bike with new yellow Clarke tank,
    YES I like yellow!!!
    Unfortunately when I would ride my last yellow XT with Hi Viz jacket and helmet,
    I looked like a 250 lb Sunflower to the bees!!
    Got rid of jacket and helmet as got stung in the face many times!

Happy riding,

hh
    wwm
    One that I have now, first yellow XT
    6811E692-4CA4-49B9-872E-3C592DA2F0A5.jpeg
    noob 2014 111.jpg