The older Sportbike Road Warrior thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by arctic954, Mar 9, 2016.

1. godzuki

godzuki live better speed more

Oddometer:
    Wow thats nice looking. My drag bike version looked like crap in comparision.
  2. Ergorider

Ergorider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My buddy did a full restoration and the engine is completely re-worked. It's pretty frickin' fast for an old burner.
  3. godzuki

godzuki live better speed more

Oddometer:
    is it stock or modded. I had fast by gast pro pipes, and a lot of his motor work done to mine, it was around 125hp. hey I still have a box of H2 750 parts where is your buddy located, I have some of the electronics some covers levers I think the front master cylinder, and a photo copied shop manual. allllllll of which I have no use for. I took that motor and put it in a Yamaha banshee for sand dragging....woo hooo my god it hauled ass on sand, I did pretty well for 2 years then people started shoehorning big snowmobile motors into atvs and well the ole H2 was fast but hard to be those snowmobile motors.

anyways let me know if he would like some parts, I know the box is pretty heavy with all the stuff in it.
    TT RDHS likes this.
  4. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beauty! Well done DD!

5. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy.

Oddometer:
    Yeah... about that...

We had a new furnace put in, they finished it up today.

<much ranting removed>

Long story short,

While cleaning up after them, I discovered a scratched tank on my 851. Right across the top, numerous places in line with each other. Some only through the clear, others to the primer/metal. The bike was along my bench with my tool chest in front of it running interference, and someone still managed to drop something on it, rub his finger down the scratches (the dust was smudged) and then NOT SAY ANYTHING about it.

<more ranting removed>

The owner of the company swears he'll get with me tomorrow to go over things... he doesn't know what happened (he wasn't there) and apparently his crew is telling him "We may have bumped the bars".

<ranting, etc, see above>

I try to make myself feel better by remembering it wasn't my buddy's 888SPO that got hit.

I know, first world problem. Get over it. I'm ranting, I get it. I'm honestly more pissed off about not being told than I am about the damage that was done.

Anyway, I wasn't wanting to do any paintwork but seeing the scratches will piss me off every time I ride the bike. Maybe it's for the best, now I can get the dent fixed without worrying abotu the paint being damaged. Or just buy an NOS tank and kill two birds with one stone. But it's paint won't match the fairings.

I dunno. I'm just bummed right now. I've never even started the bike yet.
    davyjones and OConnor like this.
  6. Phipsd

Phipsd Older but not wiser.

Oddometer:
    The 900F is the one that got away. I wanted one of those real bad and I phoned Honda Canada. They said they were not going to import it, so I got a KZ 750 instead. A few months after I bought the KZ; Honda decides to bring in the 900F, Arrraagggh!!!! Now I have a bike that is far better; my V2 V-Strom 1000, but meanwhile I've gotten old:(
    davyjones, billmags and Gham like this.
  7. arctic954

arctic954 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dang.....sorry to hear. This story makes me sick to my stomach. I dont know what Id do. I would however have them pay for it.....call a good car dealership and ask a salesmen who the most expensive auto body shop in town is.... I just recently found one in my town that works on Ferrari's & sportscars - they do incredible work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. Omarius

Omarius Long timer

Oddometer:
    His latest platform is the fz07. Getting 90whp out of it, with more to come.
    FJ Fun likes this.
  9. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love that model and color scheme and one day I will get one. Until then I painted my 78 Kawasaki KZ650 the same.
    [​IMG]
    davyjones, Canyon Rider, bpc and 2 others like this.
  10. DrSmooth

DrSmooth I am third

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for an older sportbike now. Seems to be quite a few 1990's bikes out there with low miles in very good shape.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
  11. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Uhhh, gimmie a few and I Just Might unearth my RD400F Daytona into the sunlight (for the first time in years) and post a pic.

(Obvious bump)... :thumb
  12. Smilin' Dave

Smilin' Dave I am smiling

Oddometer:
    Since the OP is from the same city as me I'll share my story. In Jan. of 1988 I walked into McGovern's, remember them, and bought a 1988 ZX-10.
    Now this wasn't just the fastest motorcycle ever made, is was the fastest that was ever going to be made. For those of you who don't remember or are to young, a senator from Iowa was getting a bill ready that would outlaw superbikes. It seemed like it would pass for sure. Well the bill ended up quietly dying. Seems the study they commissioned showed that it wasn't the high horsepower bikes that were getting crashed the most, it was the 600's. Of course we didn't know that at the time. So for one bright and shining summer, at just 24 years of age, I had the baddest bike in the land. I still have the bike. I retired it from active duty in 2008 after 21 seasons of fun.
  13. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Pic of the RD400F Daytona coming, I promise.... :shog
  14. DrSmooth

DrSmooth I am third

Oddometer:
    I found an '87 FJ1200 with 30,000 miles in excellent condition for $2100 and may buy it this weekend. Any opinions on this bike? It looks great.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    FJ Fun and Brewtus like this.
  15. arctic954

arctic954 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just spent the last week in TN/NC.......the 13 year ole steed handled absolutely wonderful. Other than a one armed supermoto rider, we called 'the bandit'.......rarely did she get challenged.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1 wheel peel and davyjones like this.
  16. Tim_Tom

Tim_Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was at AHMRA at Willow Springs this weekend, checking out the vintage racing and swap meet. This bike caught my eye in the concours event.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then because I realize I'm slowly turning into a Ducati whore, I was fascinated by this M900. It's got a 999 tank and custom made fiberglass tail. Unlike the GS1100, this one was being raced this weekend.

[​IMG]
  17. Hawkrider

Hawkrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Almost getting there,fitting up Hong Kongian bodywork

[​IMG]
    Vertical C and Brewtus like this.
  18. dwizum

dwizum Long timer

Oddometer:
    DesmoDog, I just brought home my dream Ducati too. I'm gonna post-whore this photo in it's second thread. My new 2002 748:

[​IMG]

Ducati as a brand was a big part of what attracted me to motorcycles in the first place. I started paying attention to them right in the era this thread seems to target, my teen years in the 90's. When the 916 came out I couldn't get it out of my mind.

Now, after recently having started riding in the last few years, I figured it was time to make a dream come true. The big displacement Ducati superbikes are too spendy, and honestly, I don't want that much power in my first high performance bike. Plus I like the higher-strung revvy nature of the 748.

I'm not a curmudgeon or technophobe, but there is something pure and sweet about this era of bikes that the modern sport bikes don't seem to have. They've got plenty of performance but still manage to feel analog, and mechanical, and incredibly engaging.
  19. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy.

Oddometer:
    Congrats!

Now for some words of advice... 1) Don't leave it anywhere near where people are going to be working. 2) Don't fall into the trap of "well, since I have this off for maintenance, I may as well replace those too"... I still have yet to start mine and have blown my "rehab" budget a few times over at this point.
    davyjones likes this.
  20. dwizum

dwizum Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've ridden it to work and around town a bit, 300 ish miles so far. Replaced the timing belts already and have another batch of parts to go on soon. Going to save valve adjustments for winter so I can take the heads off and do a thorough job.

Crap, I've already failed your second warning.
    davyjones likes this.