The older Sportbike Road Warrior thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by arctic954, Mar 9, 2016.

1. joe cool

joe cool Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The parallel twin was in house to MZ. Before the Yamaha singles they used the Rotax singles
  2. MonkeyBut

MonkeyBut Fuel Whore

Oddometer:
    New battery, new plugs, fresh fuel and
    ....nothing. Just hearing the starter relay click. It was starting to annoy the crap out of me, especially since the black one had the exact same symptoms.
    Well, a few beers later and had the time, I did what I didn't have to do to the black one, clean electrical contacts in the wiring harness. I decided to methodically take each of the maybe 4 main connectors apart under the airbox, and use fine sandpaper and a small screw driver to get the slight film of corrosion off. Did mention I fooking hate fooking with electrical things? Old electrical things, small tabs, brittle plastic things, tight places that my big claws can't fit. Hate it!!!
    But, my patience was rewarded with the small tap on the starter button and the engine spun. Plugs in, tank on ready to fire it up and she came to life.!!!!
    20210929_185839.jpg
    Never mind the fat guy on the now running Ninja.

Screenshot_20210929-204702_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20210929-204703_Video Player.jpg
    Nevermind the sneakers and the baseball cap, Mark. Hahahaha. Kidding. I only wear that up and down the driveway.

Now for some glamor shots, like the black one.
    20210930_163923.jpg

20210930_163901.jpg

20210930_163935.jpg
    Thanks again for putting up with my Ninja antics. I'm an young guy trapped in an old body. I'm excited and lucky enough to have found a motorcycle similar to the one my brother had in his youth. (Having a matching one for me is a huge bonus) Also, to get these running again after sitting for over 2 years with minimal work and money invested is massive.
    I wish anyone the same luck to find, restore and ride a motorcycle from their youth as easy and as inexpensive as I have. Even if its not the exact one. I love the Ninja but I'll never stop looking for the bike I had when I went on a first date with my now wife. That was in 1997 on a 1993 GSXR750. That motorcycle still holds a soft spot for me. Maybe one day.
    Thanks again for reading along. Good luck and have fun.
  3. Diogenes415

Diogenes415 Zoinks

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what's considered 'older' these days but people have commented on my 2000 Buell (Thunderpoon) saying it's a nice 'old bike' so here it is.
    [​IMG]
    Helibee, RedRocket, MonkeyBut and 9 others like this.
  4. mmattockx

mmattockx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was cracking up reading the post and then got to this. Too funny. I will generally assume you're capable of making your own decisions and living with them unless I see otherwise, so enjoy! I sometimes warm up dirt bikes without a lid on, so I have sinned as well. Adults doing adult things...

Good to see both bikes came to life fairly easily. I'm with you on the electrical work, I hate dealing with electrons.

Mark
    MonkeyBut likes this.
  5. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Came across pictures of my former RD-400F Daytona Special from back in the day. Bought it in '81 with about 6k miles. Picture taken in Phoenix, AZ.

S&W shocks and the exhaust butterflies removed.

IMG_20211006_173142382.jpg

IMG_20211006_173156970.jpg
  6. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    My '84 RZ350. Miss it.

DSC_0623_zpsab049dbd.jpg
  7. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
  8. rico2072

rico2072 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, how old does a bike have to be to be posted here? Owned my R1 for 15 years.
  9. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    About the only stock item on that beast was the air in the tires.
  10. Diogenes415

Diogenes415 Zoinks

Oddometer:
    Very nice! Back in the 80s my girlfriend's daughter had a KRE RZ350. Admittedly I coveted that bike and I think my GF got jealous.