The original adventure riders (and bikes!)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Wes Weber, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    you missed a zero. That would be 100,000
  2. KiwiSteve

KiwiSteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, my mistake, I normally only do that when I post cheques :evil .......................
  3. Voltar

Voltar Jr Asst Road Captain

Oddometer:
  4. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    Could be worse...you could do it when you design a building :huh
  5. KiwiSteve

KiwiSteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the funny thing is that there are fuck up's all the time in the building industry, everybody wants the best job done, on time, within budget, and then try to find some excuse not to pay for it :):

10,000 or 100,000, those guys are absolute legends and should be nominated for the adventure rider hall of fame lifetime award. I've been in some tough situations, but they pale in comparison by doing it on a 1/2 ton bike with bald tyres and 1" of suspension travel.

Keep the legends alive, get on your scoot and go for an adventure ride TODAY :ricky...................................
  6. Gazza/BKK

Gazza/BKK n00b

Oddometer:
    As I stated on another site, those guys deserve some kind of medal. I've ridden up a jungled mountain dirt road here in Thailand on my Heritage and I felt that I had achieved something, but I was riding on A ROAD!! Those guys rode up the face of a mountain three times higher without a road but only on guts and determination. I feel somewhat belittled. :pissed
  7. CroMag

CroMag Gelande Sauté It

Oddometer:
    Gazza, welcome to the asylum!
  8. eap

eap El Adventurero Solitario Supporter

Oddometer:
    sawat dii krap kun Gazza
  9. IB Mike

IB Mike AKA Yukon Cornelius

Oddometer:
    Got the link to this thread off the LD Riders list, checked it out. Absolutely fantastic pictures.

Posted the link on the GL1800riders board... maybe a few of the older wingabego riders were a little wilder back in their day :rofl

This thread has definitely touched the soul of motorcyclists on every brand & type of bike, all around the world. Thanks for sharing!!
  10. acb2

acb2 n00b

Oddometer:
    Muchas gracias desde España.
    Thanks from Spain.
    I´ve really enjoied with your family pics.
    I´ve discovered this forum because a portuguese friend wrote a post in another spanish biker forum.
    Perhaps my english isn't very good, but I want to give you thanks for remember "the spirit of glory days", when you only needed desires to enjoy with friends. Tech?, what´s tech?
    Saludos.
    Acb2
  11. Wes Weber

Wes Weber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the asylum, acb2! I'm still amazed how this post has travelled the world - glad you enjoyed it.
  12. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    :nod
  13. nomiles

nomiles Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer:
    I've got 100+ antique cameras :): even have the only stereo camera made for 828 film (was called Bolta size in europe) think I might have a Kodak Bantam around in a box someplace? will look for it. ~~~~~~~~

<b>You MAYBE can get 828 film all spooled up from</b> <A HREF=http://www.filmforclassics.com/>Film for Classics</A>

EDIT: Oh OH! just checked... He processes 828 but I don't see it listed for sale any more :(: He used to sell all sorts of sizes I don't see, like 122...maybe call and ask him? he might do it if you supply the spools?

I've bought some obscure sizes from him to shoot in early roll film cameras, he's good.

Once again Thanks for the pics Mr. Webber!

Happy Holidays to you and your family!
    ~Barry
  14. CCCO

CCCO Adventurer

Oddometer:

Found this site for film. www.central-camera_com/film/film_for_older_cameras.htm

Found with Goggle. Warren Weber
  15. belizebiker

belizebiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WOW! Gota love it. Thanks for all the shots!

You can be a really smart person but unless your lucky enough to have a parent or brother, sister or friend whose into bikes your likely not to realize the potential benefit. For anyone reading this site there’s no need to spell out the benefit.

My Dad around 1929. Some of my earliest memories are stories of my him pulling ice skaters behind his Harley.[​IMG]
  16. CCCO

CCCO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We did this in the 50's on a lake that was on a friends property. Ice was thick enough to ride on. I would tow skaters by letting them hang on to my rear "bumper" on my 1950 74ci bike. This was fine until the wise guys would shove the bike sideways and dump me. I was concerned about breaking through the ice when the bike crashed. Lake only 20 foot depth, but that would have been a hassle to retrieve motorcycle. Also only had street tire tread. Warren
  17. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    There are always a couple of wise guys, aren't there?

But when the shoe is on the other foot, wear it, as they say.

Your pictures & narrative are a great treasure. Thanks for sharing!
  18. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:
    this is my buddy Don O'Brien, circa late 1950's. He's wearing a shit eating grin because of his brand new bike, 950 lbs., vacuum tube communication gear, and kick starter. He and his buddy John were real addicts, sounds like they spent as much time riding for fun as riding for work.

Attached Files:

19. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    Just a note to say a couple of things.
    1. We are over 125,000 views on this thread. Not only is this an all time high, but nothing else even comes close.
    2. I do hope this does in some way bring out even more of those old photos that are buried away in the attic or closet somewhere...
    3. Thanks to all of those who have contributed to this thread, it certainly helped me put our current adventure rider proclivities into perspective.
    4. Thank you also to Wes Weber and his Dad for taking us all back to yesterdays adventure riders...
    5. this also bumps this thread back onto page 1 where it belongs

JJ
  20. FredNomad

FredNomad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I see you are from Seattle. I retired to Prescott, AZ from Seattle last year. Am I glad! How are you keeping dry and warm in Seattle this year?