The OSET Thread - Will it Roll?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by K_N_Fodder, Dec 8, 2012.

1. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I was at a trials event once where someone had a 20 and it was lightly used and lots of people played on it for way more than 15 min with lots of different types of riding.

So from what I saw in the 20 we played with it would sound like the batteries are knackered... maybe the bike was used a lot more than thought or you have an early battery failure?
  2. SlowRide13

SlowRide13 Veteran n00b

Oddometer:
    ... or maybe it sat around for a year with dead batteries. If so, it might recover with several deep cycles (run all the way down, charge all the way up).

I replaced my stock batteries with cell tower backup batteries. They look just like a street bike/ATV battery, but are deep cycle. Big improvement.
  3. ridenm

ridenm Missing my emotional support squirrel Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree with both the previous comments on the condition of the batteries. Unless you really crave the weight reduction, go the less expensive route and replace the lead/acid batteries with new AGM. Deep cycle sounds like a great idea.
  4. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Good point! Might just be left run down instead of fully charged... Ether way some good replacements or some deep cycles should get it back up to suff.
  5. LCNMRIDER

LCNMRIDER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Las Cruces,NM (yes we speak english here)
    The stock SLA batteries (well all batteries really) can be damaged in a short period by deep cycling them or prolonged high voltage charging. You can try to revive them with a 12 v battery conditioner that puts a voltage spike into the cell to break up the crystals that form or you can replace them. If you search around you should be able to buy the same (size not brand) batteries for around $20/battery or $80/pack. Last time if searched I think I found that Sears offered the best deal. You should be able to see about 1-2 hrs of ride time on a fresh pack and figure the pack will need to be replaced once a year.

Rick
    Las Cruces, NM
  6. wawarides

wawarides where's Laura0107? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Before giving up on the existing batteries, I'd check their voltage individually and if you find they're out of balance, give them a 12V parallel charge instead of a 48V series charge. I believe I have a pic of my parallel charging setup in this thread. Would require you to have some extra leads, etc., but is a good practice to periodically give them a parallel charge. Also make sure nothing is binding anywhere making the motor work harder than usual. Is your 48V charger a pulse-type one that de-sulfates as it charges?
  7. MCrider

MCrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The batteries checked fine, had them out and balanced with a 2 amp charge then rotated them on a tender for about a month before installing back, the bike just wont go past that range before the stock batteries fall off, for those of you that feel differently it doesn't sound like you have ever tried to officially test it. Remember this is the R model. and I'm not talking about putting around the yard. I'm also talking about full throttle ability. The bike will still go after it starts to cut out but only at about half throttle. Not trying to just bash the bike, son loves it, but I feel mislead by claims I read before buying the bike about it running all day. Not true
  8. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Weather claims from the previous owner, or on the forms/reviews it's still a used bike and you can't account for unknowns. I would still try new batteries and/or check for other issues myself as even with the R I would expect more ride time than 15 minutes with lots of full throttle.
  9. LCNMRIDER

LCNMRIDER Adventurer

Oddometer:

I concur with your assessment that that bike will definitely not "run all day" on stock batteries or any other batteries that you could feasibly carry. I would say that I have fairly extensive experience with using OSET bikes for competition and have found that fresh stock batteries are good for competition up to an intermediate level rider for about two loops. My son uses 2 sets of lipos and 1 set sla's to compete and play for a 1 day event. These then need to be charged to repeat for the second day. Batteries last longer in a competition then while kids are playing. Big up's or hills will deplete a pack in a very short time. Welcome to the world of electric power.

Now as to depleting a pack in fifteen mins consider the amp draw vs the pack capacity. A 20' oset at full power will put out around 2400-2500 watts or around 50 amps. Fresh 20 amp SLA batteries can handle this output for around 60 percent of their rated 20amp/1hr rating. This means you can only get about 12 amps total from the pack which when pulling 50 amps per hour would last around 1/4 hr or ~15min.

Consider also that the OSET is not designed to be ridden as a dirtbike (ie motocross style). No trials bike is ridden for 15 min at full throttle and if you were to try you would be rebuilding engines frequently. If you keep using it at full throttle you can expect to be replacing parts frequently as you will kill the brushes and windings in the motor, overheat the speed control and cause overheating/venting of the SLA batteries. When ridden like a trials bike you will be much happier with the overall performance and your motor and controller and batteries will last longer.

Rick
    Las Cruces, NM
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  10. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected. I guess 15 or 20 min is about it at full throttle.

Thanks for the information!
  11. MCrider

MCrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rick, spot on. I feel the tech is there to do much more, its just not affordable yet. A replacement battery for the Kuberg freeride $900 euros :(
  12. LCNMRIDER

LCNMRIDER Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. MCrider

MCrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is this the battery you use for your sons oset? What kind of results did you achieve? could you post some instructions on how you made the mod?
    Any help would be appreciated. Ive looked at some deep cycle SLA 20AH batteries but the weight is stupid.
  14. LCNMRIDER

LCNMRIDER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes these are the batteries I (we) have been using. Total run time is easily doubled. I have written instruction on this on this forum and they have been reposted on the trials central forum. Pretty simple mod. Buy a "series connector" for xt60 connectors from the same company and put a connector on the bike harness. Two 6 cell packs in series is 44.4v. I also put a xt60 connector on the stock batteries so I have the option to use both types. You will also need a high watt charger which hobby king also sells. It is more fuss to mess with removing and changing out batteries but the benefits are longer run time and lighter weight. Please tread with caution as you can/will exceed the heat that the bike can manage if you try to run it too hard and too long. Also, Lipo batteries need special care and feeding. They are not dummy proof and start big fires when abused.
    visualizerent likes this.
  15. MCrider

MCrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the oset controller adequate to safe guard against low voltage depletion of the lipos or did you install something yourself? How often do you change brushes on the oset?
  16. LCNMRIDER

LCNMRIDER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No the low voltage cut off will not work because lipos dont sag the voltage like a sla will under load. By the time it kicks in the damage is done to a lipo. I use a voltage monitor that I also bought from hk. They sell one that has a low volt alarm and it plugs into the battery balance port. Brush life is highly dependent on bike use and heat. I've only had to replace one set in the past 5 years and they burned from too high a voltage.

PS if using lipos keep them out of the water. LIPOS and water are very bad.
    laser17 likes this.
  17. m143

m143 wobbler

Oddometer:
    Zembo is starting to get the hang of his OSET

[​IMG]
    ridenm, LemmeTry and Ontario GS like this.
  18. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's awesome. How old? Mine son is 28 months old. He's basically a pro on his strider. I think the balance is there to ride an oset, but not sure about leg length or strength. Any thoughts on when and how to start little ones out on the oset? Also have you messed with lipos? Seems like a way to drop some weight.
    visualizerent likes this.
  19. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    If he can ride a Strider, he'll fit on an Oset and be riding in about 10 minutes (or less)!

Juan
    Nevada City, Ca.
  20. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! We picked up a new 12.5 eco at the national trials event in Ocala last weekend and the kid is already ripping around the yard on the Oset. He also loved competing in the strider trials

Now to figure out a light weight battery setup.