The OSET Thread - Will it Roll?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by K_N_Fodder, Dec 8, 2012.

1. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I noticed today that the throttle ramps up fairly smoothly (moderate jerk from zero to moving, then smooth the rest of the way) but does not ramp down at all as you back off the throttle until it's totally closed then it goes from previous peak power to zero. Makes it a bit rich negotiating tight turns. Anyone know what causes this and how to fix? Also is it normal to be jerky right off the bottom?

Note this is a bone stock, 6 day old 2015 12.5 Eco.
  2. dreezy

dreezy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My sons 12.5r is the same way, ramps up nice and smooth but letting off the throttle basically freewheels until he gets back into it. No jerk off the bottom though... Do you have one adjustment knob, or two?
  3. aranay

aranay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just ordered my 2 year old son a 12.5 R and words can't even begin to explain how pumped I am to see how he does with it! He has always been incredibly steady on his feet (walking alone at 9 months and change and climbing to the top of the public playground equipment a month later) so I suspect he'll pick this up pretty well. He recently started pulling his stryder bike out of the garage on his own and has been picking it up independently. Pics to come!
    PS anyone have any ideas where to find a full face helmet and boots for a toddler???
    DyrWolf and huskershaun like this.
  4. ridenm

ridenm Missing my emotional support squirrel Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    The smallest boots I ever found I had to have shipped from the EU but that was for a 4 to 5 year old, not 2. Maybe a pair of kids hiking boots would work?

As for helmet the best I could do for my girl was a bike helmet for kids, wasn't able to get her into a full face tell she was 5 and even then the smallest kids MX helmet I could find was a little loose but worked ok and she grew into it ok. Also with the outer shell being the same size for the kids large I picked up the second size padding set the same day I got the helmet and then didn't even need to worry about her growing out of it tell she moved into an adult helmet.

Best of luck.
  6. aranay

aranay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Thanks!
  7. wawarides

wawarides where's Laura0107? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like your son will be a natural! Do post some videos. Wellington-style boots work good as toddler's trial boots - sturdy, no laces, readily available. Then when he's older, Wulfsport trials boots from across the pond are great. Ordering them big and adding extra foam inserts to start with extends their life over multiple years as opposed to a season.
  8. Ontario GS

Ontario GS Budding Adv. Traveler

Oddometer:
    I purchased an Oset for my Grandson, started him off with a hockey helmet and then my daughter purchased a downhill mountain bike helmet which, I think is ill fitting and tends to be floppie and also rides up to the point of blocking his vision.
  9. aranay

aranay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good tips! Thanks! I'll definitely post pics and whatnot as I get them
  10. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    Got a 16” for my son at 5, got a fox moto helmet and zip up armor at the local mX shop but used work boots instead of moto boots as they were too stiff.
    At 8 he has all but outgrown the bike but still kicks around on it all the time. Now he just wears his mtn bike helmet and still prefers work type boots
    full of days likes this.
  11. aranay

aranay Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That dude is psyched!

Well after a couple years out of Osets (during which we missed them badly) our little girl will be ready for one this season. Can't wait!
    aranay likes this.
  13. Glov3r

Glov3r ThrottleJunkie

Oddometer:
    Anyone have experience with MX-10
  14. full of days

full of days Simplify or Die

Oddometer:
    I just bought a 12.5 eco 24volt for my 2 year old. The mx-10 is a serious lipo machine. Adults can get almost 2 hours flogging it.

Anyone know what style connector co.es on the 2018 12.5's? Already looking at lipo conversion
  15. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    How big is am mx 10? How's the suspension? My almost 5yr old is getting too big for his 12.5 and could definitely use a dirt bike. Trying to decide whether to go the mz10 route or Cobra/KTM 50cc for Moto and trails.
  16. smdub

smdub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just bought a used 20.0R for my kid. Coworkers and I have goofed off on it behind my office. A good amount of power but the jerkiness of power delivery off idle is horrible. There is a large amount of throtle 'play' too but I can mod the grip to fix that. I've done some searching, is a new controller the only real fix for the start jerk?
  17. full of days

Oddometer:
    What year is it? Reach out to steve @ oset in Colorado and he can get you sorted out
    markbxr400 likes this.
  18. smdub

smdub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. full of days

Oddometer:
  20. goinsriding

goinsriding Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We have a 16.0" and i spoke with them and they can either reprogram the one you currently have( if it can be reprogrammed) or the updated one is available. For the 16.0" is was roughly $200 for the controller.