The OSET Thread - Will it Roll?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by K_N_Fodder, Dec 8, 2012.

1. full of days

full of days Simplify or Die

Oddometer:
  2. smdub

smdub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sent my throttle jerk video to Steve @ Oset. He told me to open my controller and see if there was a programming plug inside. There was, so I'm shipping it to them to get it reprogrammed. Hopefully that will improve it.

IMO, Thats seems pretty expensive for unknown quality 36V 18Ah (and only rated for 1.5C discharge rate to boot.) I'm big in to big RC planes (up to 1/3 scale.) Some are electric. You probably can't buy a better lipo for the $ than the RC field. We beat them to death. Big EDFs drain a battery in ~4min. When the SLAs in my Oset 20.0R dies, I'll use my 12S RC packs. FWIW, Hobbyking for example sells 20Ah 4S 10C packs for $120 (lower when on sale). 2 of them in series (8S) get you to 36V = $240 to compare to the above example. A dual charger will run you about $100.
  3. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    My kid has been riding his OSET 20.0’

upload_2018-12-4_2-36-10.jpeg
    KKeltner, jonnyc21 and full of days like this.
  4. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    He stands a little, but mostly sits.
    Im just happy he is riding

upload_2018-12-4_2-37-55.jpeg
  5. smdub

smdub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone broken the rear shock bolts? While the 20.0R motor control is off to OSET to be reprogrammed, I've been going through doing maintenance. Finally tracked down the annoying rear end creak. The lower shock bolt is bent and cracked most of the way through.:yikes The upper bolt was replaced by the PO w/ a home despot grade 8mm bolt already and one of those frame mount holes is a little oval. I'm guessing it broke on him, walked around in the hole egging it out a little before he caught it. For those that haven't taken it this far apart before: OSET uses a socket head cap 'nut' (for lack of better term - though they may be called binding barrels?) that is drilled and threaded about 20mm deep for the mating SHCS to go into the other end. The crack is at the stress riser right at the bottom of this drill/tap. These are used at both top and bottom of the shock. I was going to order replacements from OSET, but this setup just seems like a bad idea. I'll go get proper M8 shoulder screws.

Anyway, probably a good idea to inspect yours once in a while...

You can see the crack: (you can't see the bend due to the way it rolls on the table)
    20181206_145721_cracked_shock_bolt.jpg
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  6. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the warning. I’ll have to check it.
  7. smdub

smdub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Update on the 2015 20.0R motor control jerkiness: Sent it back to Steve @ oset and he updated it to 2108 software/mapping. It is *MUCH* improved. I can now ride it around inside the office s-l-o-w-l-y around furniture. It smoothly transitions from no throttle to a tiny amount on. Very happy. It might have a touch of lag that if it were an adult only toy I'd have to fix, but the kid will never notice.
    goinsriding and Bucho like this.
  8. goinsriding

goinsriding Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. n.o.e

n.o.e Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Happy to join this thread.
    Used to have the 12.5 model, and about to buy a used 20.0.
    Anything in particular that I should examine/be aware of when checking it?
  10. smdub

smdub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The top bolt of the shock mount in mine was bent and boogered the mounting points. I suspect the orig owner had problems w/ it as the bolt was different and he had installed a slightly different rear shock. I fixed it w/ proper shoulder bolts. Old controllers don't have the programming connectors to upgrade the software. Not sure when that change occured. Other than that there isn't much to go wrong since its just an overweight bicycle. Old batteries get weak. I've converted ours to LiPos.

FWIW, I recently replaced the rear DNM coil shock w/ an air RockShox MC3.3 I had left over from upgrading an old mountain bike. Both are 165mm long. The RockShox is **MUCH** better for a little kid. W/ The old shock I could ride behind him and see the rear wheel bounce off the ground and bounce him upwards over small roots and such. He didn't weigh enough to get much if any sag. The air shock just soaks up the bumps in comparison. Was such a huge improvement I'm now tempted to replace the front fork w/ a similar quality unit. The orig won't hold air pressure and is too stiff a spring anyway. Looks like any 100mm 26" disc fork would work but I long ago switched to 29ers. I need to ask my mtb buddies if they have anything leftover I could buy cheap.
  11. brianjonesphoto

brianjonesphoto Hacked off

Oddometer:
    I learned a lot trying to make an older 16 into a 16r. When we moved up to a 20 I took all I learned and waited until a found a 20r. The 20R is a much better bike than an early 20. I also priced out doing a lipo conversion for the 20R vs buying something plug and play. The 15AH Boost battery was only $100 more than diy lipo of the same capacity. I sprung for the boost battery it's much simpler my time is worth more than the $100 I would have saved.
    Buschog, jonnyc21 and goinsriding like this.
  12. full of days

full of days Simplify or Die

Oddometer:
    Pulled mu sons 12.5 economy out yesterday and the front v brakes were binding on the rim. Spent 20 mi s fiddling and it got better but was unable to run adjuster screws in/out enough to give enough clearance. That's when I noticed how out of true the front wheel was. GOOD LAWD it was effed up!
  13. Piston

Piston Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about getting another Oset for my boys, and could use some input. I'd like some thoughts on whether I should go with another Oset, or a small frame gas trials bike for my kids?

Both my boys started on striders, then the 12.5 ECO at age 2/3. They then went up to a CRF50 which my 5 year old is on now, and the now 7 year old is on a Husky TE50. The 12.5 is currently being loaned out to a friends 3 year old, and will be passed down to my 2 year old daughter next year.

I'm thinking about buying a youth trials bike. Like the past bikes, I'll get one bike in nice condition (prefer late model over new but since I'll get so much use out of it I could justify new) and pass it down from kid to kid.

I'm unsure if I should go with something like a Beta 80cc gas trials bike, or stick with the OSET brand and go with a 20.0. I live in a rural area and noise or neighbors are not a concern.

It would be for my oldest, who is 7. I'd like it to last him from 7-10 and then step up again and start the whole "hand me down bike" thing over again with a bigger one.

Evan1.JPG

evan3.jpeg

Evan.JPG
    KKeltner likes this.
  14. brianjonesphoto

Oddometer:
    Personally Oset all the way. Not that I'm a brand loyalist but until there is a better option I'll buy 1 of every size. They are so simple. Spend the money to get a lithium battery and you have all day power my 7yo is usually out of juice before the bike is. As you know almost zero maintenance vs a gas bike. No starting issues no burn potential especially with younger siblings around. The 20R is a great little bike. I was talking with some friends at a trial this weekend saying my son could very well never ride a gas powered bike as the electric is evolving at about the pace he is growing out of bikes. Now if Gasgas would just get the TXe stateside for a reasonable price before he moves to a full size bike.
    Piston and goinsriding like this.
  15. KKeltner

KKeltner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    where/how much did you get Lipo for the 20r? I bought my son brand new oset 20R, and a month later they came out with lithium. Super bummed they’re news/dealer info wasn’t better I definitely would have waited and purchased the new lithium model instead
  16. brianjonesphoto

Oddometer:
    I got it from this outfit https://mototrialsport.com/ It's best to call him. I paid $740 for the 15AH boost battery and charger.

More info on the battery here https://www.boost-bikes.co.uk/pages/oset-battery-kits
    KKeltner likes this.