The OSET Thread - Will it Roll?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by K_N_Fodder, Dec 8, 2012.

1. full of days

full of days Simplify or Die

Oddometer:
  2. smdub

smdub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sent my throttle jerk video to Steve @ Oset. He told me to open my controller and see if there was a programming plug inside. There was, so I'm shipping it to them to get it reprogrammed. Hopefully that will improve it.

IMO, Thats seems pretty expensive for unknown quality 36V 18Ah (and only rated for 1.5C discharge rate to boot.) I'm big in to big RC planes (up to 1/3 scale.) Some are electric. You probably can't buy a better lipo for the $ than the RC field. We beat them to death. Big EDFs drain a battery in ~4min. When the SLAs in my Oset 20.0R dies, I'll use my 12S RC packs. FWIW, Hobbyking for example sells 20Ah 4S 10C packs for $120 (lower when on sale). 2 of them in series (8S) get you to 36V = $240 to compare to the above example. A dual charger will run you about $100.
  3. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    My kid has been riding his OSET 20.0’

upload_2018-12-4_2-36-10.jpeg
    jonnyc21 and full of days like this.
  4. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    He stands a little, but mostly sits.
    Im just happy he is riding

upload_2018-12-4_2-37-55.jpeg
  5. smdub

smdub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone broken the rear shock bolts? While the 20.0R motor control is off to OSET to be reprogrammed, I've been going through doing maintenance. Finally tracked down the annoying rear end creak. The lower shock bolt is bent and cracked most of the way through.:yikes The upper bolt was replaced by the PO w/ a home despot grade 8mm bolt already and one of those frame mount holes is a little oval. I'm guessing it broke on him, walked around in the hole egging it out a little before he caught it. For those that haven't taken it this far apart before: OSET uses a socket head cap 'nut' (for lack of better term - though they may be called binding barrels?) that is drilled and threaded about 20mm deep for the mating SHCS to go into the other end. The crack is at the stress riser right at the bottom of this drill/tap. These are used at both top and bottom of the shock. I was going to order replacements from OSET, but this setup just seems like a bad idea. I'll go get proper M8 shoulder screws.

Anyway, probably a good idea to inspect yours once in a while...

You can see the crack: (you can't see the bend due to the way it rolls on the table)
    20181206_145721_cracked_shock_bolt.jpg
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  6. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the warning. I’ll have to check it.
  7. smdub

smdub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Update on the 2015 20.0R motor control jerkiness: Sent it back to Steve @ oset and he updated it to 2108 software/mapping. It is *MUCH* improved. I can now ride it around inside the office s-l-o-w-l-y around furniture. It smoothly transitions from no throttle to a tiny amount on. Very happy. It might have a touch of lag that if it were an adult only toy I'd have to fix, but the kid will never notice.
    goinsriding and Bucho like this.
  8. goinsriding

goinsriding Adventurer

Oddometer: