The OSET Thread - Will it Roll?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by K_N_Fodder, Dec 8, 2012.

1. brianjonesphoto

brianjonesphoto Hacked off

Oddometer:
    I've experimented both was with training wheels. I put my oldest on the Oset at 18mo. He couldn't reach the ground so I made pretty wobbly training wheels for him. He spent some time learning throttle and was always comfortable with the wobble. He flat refused to ride without the training wheels. He finally rally took to it once he moved up to a 16" at 4.5/5 after several months on a bicycle without training wheels. He had a strider and took right to a bicycles without training wheels.

My daughter is 4 and has been very resistant to riding unaided. Didn't want anything to do with the strider until about 6 weeks ago. She has been riding is our clubs kids series but with lots of help. She has just graduated to a 16" and shows more signs wanting to do it on her own. I only used training wheels with her a few times so she could understand the throttle without worrying about everything else.

Net result neither one really took to riding the oset until they were over 4. The are very different kids and different approaches but results were similar.

If you do go the route of training wheels they are easy to make if you have access to a welder. 1" square tube about 30" long some 1/2' round bar for axles and harbor freight 10" wheels. Both them to the skid plate under the batteries. Don't make the bike too stable. It will want to tip over as it can't lean. Everything about 2 wheels is learning to manage the instability.
  2. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd skip the trainers. They just build bad habits and slow the learning curve for most kids I think. I put my kid on a strider at 14mnths, by 18mnths he was really good on it. Reliably doing 2 mile singe track loops, could balance feet up while stopped for several seconds, competed in strider trials, etc. We put him on an Oset for his 2nd birthday and he immediately took to it. After about 30 feet of me running behind to help stabilize a little he figured it out and was off on his own.
    Huzband likes this.
  3. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's very cool this thread is still popping along. I'm back to looking at OSETs again. We have a KX65 in the family from my son (who was the motivation for starting this thread) that I've been holding onto for my (almost 8) daughter, but she was never really interested. I made noise to sell the KX and she suddenly was interested, so put her on a buddy's KTM50 just so she could try it with a centrifugal clutch. To my surprise she's *shredding* on the 50, but it's too small (and freakin annoying, we had one as well). Sat her on the KX (which is loaned out to another buddy - I like keeping em all in the "family" as well, like some of you guys) last night and it would just be a handful. Thus, I'm looking at 20" OSETS and popped back on here.

So... if anybody has one laying around, let me know :)

PS - I massively second the Strider/No-training wheels approach. Both my kids went this way and they are amazingly comfortable on two wheels from a very early age.
    KKeltner likes this.
  4. K_N_Fodder

Oddometer:
    And because this thread is all about family, here's the little kid from the beginning, 8 years later. He went Strider/Bicycle(s)/OSET/KTM50/KX65/KX100 and is phenomenally fast on the KX100. This is a big washout he "found" a couple of weeks ago...
    [​IMG]

Here's the sister realizing that she likes dirtbikes. She is a scrapper, but funnily got spooked on powered bikes early when she hopped on a buddy's OSET 12 years ago and grabbed a handful of throttle and it spooked her. She just had her first traumatic crash on the 50 the other day, had been parked by a shed with her brother and when she took off she grabbed too much throttle again, hit the shed with the left handlebar that ripped that side back and when the right side pulled from her hand she spun the throttle again.... big noisy traumatic crash but no damage and she got right back on after the tears were done.
    [​IMG]
    KKeltner and Bucho like this.
  5. smdub

smdub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think @Bucho was selling his.
  6. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'd sell mine. My son rode it a little bit but it never really lit a fire for him. He is also starting to get too big for it anyway...

Mine is the NON R model. So it has the cheaper/heavier lead acid batteries.
  7. K_N_Fodder

Oddometer:
    Howdy sir, do you know what year it is? I might have found one a little closer in Colorado but I'm very curious.
  8. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    sorry for the slow reply. I dont always check this regularly. I believe its a 2016? Id have to dig up some paperwork
  9. KKeltner

KKeltner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anybody know how to properly test oset battery’s to see if their still good or bad? My son has 2019 oset 20R and keeps complaining like battery looses charge so fast now, and it’s hard to tell if it’s going bad and needs replaced or he’s loosing interest and wants to stop riding.
  10. smdub

smdub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lithiums? Does the charger have a way to count Ah?
    I have aftermarket LiPos in ours so I don't know how the factory one works. Does it have a BMS? 4.2V/cell is fully charged, 3.5V is very low. You really need a way to test each cell to see if they are all the same. I put RC connectors on our pack so I can use my RC chargers and testers.
  11. KKeltner

KKeltner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, unfortunately it’s not lithium purchased it like two months before oset released lithium models . It’s stock battery’s and charger for 2019 lead acid battery, charger just has dumby light nothing to monitor voltage. I could use a multimeter to check them, not sure range they should be holding on to me good.
  12. smdub

smdub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check the 4 individual voltages then. The stock charger does control balance between the 4 batts and they are relatively cheap sealed batts.
    The fast-on connectors get loose too and cause a bit of resistive drop. You can pull those off, clean, and maybe crimp a little tighter if they weren't tough to pull off.
    m143, Bucho and KKeltner like this.
  13. K_N_Fodder

Oddometer:
    As smdub said you can check individual voltages but you can also charge individual batts to do you own manual balancing. With that said, it can be hard to know battery health by looking at voltages. In one of my past lives I used a West Mountain Radio CBA quite a bit to test batteries. They are really cool, charge up a battery, plug it in, and it will do a controlled discharge (picking one of various types) and plot the results, calculate capacity, etc. They are still kind of spendy, maybe there are other options.
    m143 and KKeltner like this.
  14. brianjonesphoto

brianjonesphoto Hacked off

Oddometer:
    These are handy tools to have when trying to determine the health of a battery. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rc+battery+analyzer&ref=nb_sb_noss I use one on my charger all the time to see how much of the battery he uses.
  15. K_N_Fodder

Oddometer:
    That is super cool, a modern version of my old Kill-a-Watt meter. It's in my Amazon Cart now.