The Ouachita Project

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Trail Boss, Dec 23, 2007.

1. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    that sounds good, Hope I am in town when you guys do that ride.

There are lot od routes here that use to go through that are now pravite and closed by gate. I spend a lot of time turning around here as well. I am pretty sure I can get a dual sport from vandorvort thru Fourche. so that is about 50 miles of trails/ FS roads. Then I have a friend that can get from Fourche to Magazine.

There is some awesome riding from Hatfield to claton, ok. You can get there with less the 10 miles of pavement
  2. jgas

jgas Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer:
    I found a link to this thread on a site dedicated to caves in the Ouachitas! I think they got Advrider Cavemen mixed up with Arkansas Caves. Anyway, it reminded me of this thread. Anything new lately? My riding has beev very spotty lately due to injuries, but I'm getting better. Hope to start some DS/ADV/Singletrack trail riding all within 2 weeks. If any of you guys are still checking out the Ouachitas, let me know.

I have a book with all the main waterfalls and cascades in the Ouachitas with good directions and GPS coords. I've been to a couple of the smaller ones. Thats one excuse to ride around in the boonies. I'd like to list all the waterfalls, historic places, unusual rock formations on rivers or mountains, anything of interest. On most maps there are quite a few mines listed around Hot Springs and West of there. I have always wondered if they mean open pit mines, commercial, or if its possible to get inside any of them and look around. The Ouachitas have fewer caves than the Ozarks, but I'm sure there are some to be found.

I've heard of a few "ghost towns" along the Ouachita, Saline, and other rivers that can be found but aren't easy to find.

I have found 2 areas where there were very small civil war battles. One I can't find again, (was about 10 when I found it), and the other has a subdivision sitting on top of it now. I found a few minnie balls and badly rusted buckles, saddlery hardware, and what I think were hasty graves where bodies were buried on the spot.

I think it would be really cool to plan a trip where we visited as many unusual places as possible, while staying off the beaten path. I mean look for the stuff that even the "average" adventure rider wouldnt ride to on their shiny purty too expensive to tear up BMWs and such bikes. Not making fun of BMWS, I love em, (I've always wanted to build a retro rally racer with a old boxer twin and ride singletrack on it), but most guys on big expensive bikes just want to stay on the easy dirt roads. I want to go wherever the cool stuff is, no what it takes to get there.

I'm slowly getting back to some distance riding. If this thread gets new interest, i'll add my experiences.
  3. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    I'd be up for a ride and always up for new info on the area
  4. cman

cman cman

Oddometer:
    We plan on spending a week this summer camping and riding the area. Some good info here.
  5. btweaver13

btweaver13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My buddy (DRZ400SM with new dual purpose Continentals) and I (DR650) are driving to Mena Thursday May 9 for an all-day adventure ride on Friday. We both ride CRFs off-road and are comfortable on single track. Current plan revolves around the Wolf Pen area, although we are open to suggestion.

Thanks for reigniting this page, and I hope we run into (figuratively) other adventure riders this week.

Weave
  6. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    Wish I could meet ya I have to fly out today at 12. There are some hidden single track around
  7. unpavdpthfinder

unpavdpthfinder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Riding Wolf Pen Gap and making loops around Shady, AR this weekend if anyone in the area want to join in or has any recs, hit me up!

Looking to get a good start early Saturday morning in the Pen. May head down to Shady Lake Reservoir and loop back to the NW and climb to Bee Mountain lookout. Any other poi's in the NF south and southeast of Mena?

I'm on an fe350, buddy's will be on beta390, husky 701, drz and an adv grom.