The Pacific Crest Quest

Discussion in 'Americas' started by R-dubb, Aug 18, 2003.

1. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I must be spending too much time thinking about not riding. But, I got a big idea. The Pacific Crest Trail Runs along the coastal divide, at the top of The Angeles Crest, The Sierra Nevada and Cascade Ranges, not to mention a dozen major volcanoes in between. It is a hiking trail running along and through some of the most spectacular scenery in the US. So I want to ride the Pacific Crest on my GS. “Holy Shit Batman, you can’t do that.” Yeah, I know; you can’t. Much of it is dedicated Federal Wilderness Area, read no vehicular access, and much if it is way too rough. But, there are still some strong possibilities in the idea.

What if a route is charted that stays as close as legally possible to the Pacific Crest Trail going from Mexico to Canada? That is possible. And, I think potentially fantastic. To make matters interesting, the goal is to avoid pavement, as much as possible. So, with my outstanding and large collection of maps, I’m working on a plan. Navigating around the Wilderness Area is by far the largest compromise. Did you know that nearly the entire Cascade Mountain range, covering perhaps 20% Washington State is Wilderness Area? Not to mention, National Parks are closing or paving most dirt roads. So what’s a dirt-loving boy to do? Well, at least for a while, the National Forests are still open. And, there is a nearly unbroken line of them extending northward through the Sierra and beyond.

My first pass at a route takes in 3200 miles and is about 50/50 paved and dirt. Much of the paving gets to gas and links dirt sections. It looks do-able to me. There are Eight National Parks along the way. To the south, much of the Angeles Crest is open to travel, but might be too rough for a GS. We’ll find out. I stayed to the west of the Sierra divide since the eastern slopes are abrupt and there are no roads, apart from US395. In Oregon, the trail can be followed pretty closely, and my route zigs and zags to get through pretty close to the foot trail in most places. Washington is a problem. Traversing the west slope of the Cascades is too populated and not so interesting. It is also very far from the trail due to wilderness closures. The east side is nice, although most of the interesting routes seem to head into the mountains and dead-end. I just routed the nearest through roads that get where I’m going. The route turned out better than I expected. At the northern end, there is a road that follows the trail towards the border. It ends, fifteen or so miles away from Canada atop a high peak. I decided that might be a good place to stop the route and perhaps hike the rest of the way to the border.

I’m thinking the best way to make something like this happen is to bite it off in pieces. With a series of four or five day trips, I could along with a willing accomplice or two, nail down the route, riding each section. Then, if the motivation (and the body) persists, I could make a run at doing the whole trek on a single pass. I think there are 16-18 days to do it all at once, perhaps a few less.

Sound interesting?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:dj
    R-dubb
  2. turkish

turkish Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, very, very interesting. 18 days sounds optimistic for a single run though. OK, maybe that'd work for you or Ricky, but what about mere mortals? That's about 100 miles of dirt each day (plus a similar quantity of asphalt) for nearly three weeks.

Tell your doctor you're going to attempt that, and he'll just cut your arm off next time instead of trying to fix it.
  3. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Keep us posted as this develops... it has potential!
  4. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Rick DUBB

I'm so totally there....

let me know when and were,,,,
    will be a nice remeinder of my days in the Amazon Jungle and the darien gap,,,I hope.
    well exept the Mosquitos.spiders and Piranas,,,and Oh yeah the Guerrilla:splat ..

R-dubb you are the best Planner I ever met,,and I be there even blind folded,,I trust you that much
  5. turkish

turkish Long timer

Oddometer:
    You went through the Darien gap? :yikes
  6. luv2lean

luv2lean not lost til out of gas

Oddometer:
    Wow! You ARE the planner.

I'd be interested in doing all or part of the California sections from Kern County North (cant get too close to LALA land) if you need some support. May even know a few GS do-able trails through El Dorado, Placer and Sierra Counties that are closer to the PCT if interested------.

Great Idea!
  7. webfootrider

webfootrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great idea for a trip! Looks like you've been doing a lot of planning and plotting. If you're not already aware of it, there's an off road plotted route through Oregon that runs from the CA to the WA boarder called the Oregon Back Country Discovery Route. Maps of the trip, including GPS waypoints are available at this web site that I am in no way affiliated with other than periodically gazing at it and dreaming of having enough time off work (and away from family) to make the trip. Post an itinerary when you have one, it would be fun to join in for a day or two.

http://www.oohva.org/Back Country/BCDRmain.html
  8. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Nope,,,but I almost die from malaria,,trying to do it,,

we got drop on a helicopter,for a survival training exercice,,,let me tell you the gerrilla is nothing compare to the Mosquito "anofeles"
  9. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    You dropped out of a helicopter on your motorcycle????:rofl
  10. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Hey Dubb

I'm in if wa want me.

Just let me know when and where and for how long, scout'n or what ever.
  11. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    I tell you more someday...

lets keep the current program going,,I like R-dubb's station a lot.
  12. jimstrider

jimstrider Adventure StRider

Oddometer:
    R-dubb:

If you get serious about it, I will beg, borrow, buy, or steal an appropriate bike for this ride.

Keep the information coming.
  13. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    I am aware of the OR Back Country Route. In fact, I was seriously thinking about riding it this Summer until I found out I wouldn't be riding anywhere for awhile. In any case, that route goes up through Eastern OR. Very pretty and sometimes remote country up there. It doesn't go anywhere near the Pacific Crest Trail, however. So, I'll be taking a different approach. Their route is more dirt, less mountains.

R-dubb
  14. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    I am very interested in getting closer to the Crest on the Sierra legs. The challenge is to able to knit the routes together in a way that connects through at least to the next highway pass. There is one notable trail just north of Kings Canyon in the Inyo Forest. It's called the Dusy Ershim Trail. it is a well known 4x4 trail and gets right up on the divide. Might be a tad rough for this outing.:rofl

[​IMG]

There is also a trail that connects Ebbett's Pass with Carsons Pass, but it is likewise very rough and involves a deep water crossing.

But yes, if you have any suggestions as to ways to move the route east a bit, I'm all ears.

BTW - Spring is the earliest I'll be ready to start scouting.

R-dubb
  15. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    So Jim, this is very cool. Your gunna get a GS, ehh. Don't cha thinks a ride like this will require a little practice. Better start shopping. :rofl :rofl

R-dubb
  16. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    R-dubb I love your idea a lot! :feelgood

I almost felt lucky for a minute about your bad wrist and all the time it gives you for planning such wonderful trips :):

I'll be happy to be one of your accomplices for scouting and obviously for the trip itself. The issue is that I might have to buy a 950 Adventure for that :evil
  17. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    One thing is for sure Rico...when the going gets rough, you know how to get things going.

Cheers to you my friend,

R-dubb
  18. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    In. :thumb

I can scout the southern stuff :D)

mully
  19. jimstrider

jimstrider Adventure StRider

Oddometer:
    GS possibly, but I was thinking KTM.

I will be ready by then.:thumb
  20. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    I could check out some of this route, some looks like it could be a problem in WA. I was just in the winthrop area doing some dirt yesterday,I will post some photos of harts pass.
    Washington state is a real bitch, the no-fun police are out in force, many awesome areas that are now shut down to anything with wheels, (horseys are always ok) you are right most of the roads dead end. looks cool, great project. should be able to find a WA route, even if part of its chip seal