The Pacific Crest Quest

Discussion in 'Americas' started by R-dubb, Aug 18, 2003.

1. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    I think it was more foolishness than bravado, as I was by myself. Probably not the best trail to be on alone. It was a real pain in the ass getting out of there. The guy on the trials bike came part way up to see if I needed help... of course after I had already dug out and rolled part way back. Still, it was nice having the helping hand. He said that a lot of the trails that used to go through are now blocked off or boobie trapped by the wind mill companies!!! I will go very slowly on next weekends scouting. :nod
  2. Oly

Oly Deadlines whooshing by

Oddometer:
    Rode the route today and no problems. First and second gear down to the river on single lane gravel and dirt with some deep ruts but easy to avoid. Pulling out of the river (in full spring flow) is primarily single lane marginal pavement with cliff views (see attached). The run down Dinkey Cr. Rd. is two lane wonderland with high gear sweepers one after another. Gonna be great!
    Oly

Attached Files:

3. Tiny

Tiny Wonky Eyed Bastard

Oddometer:
    I submit my offer to act as tanker or cargo vehicle. As you plan your route, if you come across any spots (in California say, from the Lake Isabella Kern county area to Lakeview Oregon) where lack of fuel and/or food/supplies would cause a large unwanted detour, Whammo and and I could meet your group with the GS's loaded with nothing but fuel, food and supplies and then send you on your way. We'd be happy to participate in that manor. Whammo and I would just make a 4 day camping trip out it. Give us the GPS coords and the time and we'd be there.
    B!
  4. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow! That is a fantastic offer. I'm not sure where or when this would come in handy, but it sounds like a lot of fun. We'll talk about it a little and get back to you soon. Very cool!

Our little group is starting to get stoked!

:dj
    R-dubb
  5. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    What a great offer!!!!! :thumb
  6. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    You mean REAL food like only you can make while camping? :dg Where do I sign? :deal

Seriously, that's super nice and it would be a great pleasure to have you two around for a bit :thumb
  7. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    So who is the team consisting of ?
  8. Oly

Oddometer:
    Everyone get'n psyched up, here is more fuel for the fire.
    --Oly

Attached Files:

9. Oly

Oddometer:
    Nearing Wishon Res. on a side route (11S01) off of 11S12, north of the Teakettle Exp. area.
    --Oly

Attached Files:

10. Gregg Wannabe

Gregg Wannabe Just killing time

Oddometer:
    Guys-
    I live in San Diego so if you guys need something let me know. I'm not sure what I could do for you but the first 100 miles or so of the PCQ from Baja to Riverside county is fairly easy for me to access. So if you need me to scoot in on my dual sport 525 with parts, tools, first aid supplies or whatever, you can call me.
  11. juanroberts

juanroberts Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am planning on riding from the Western States Trail to the Rubicon Trail by August. I looked at the PCQ as a way of making the connection. The PCQ in this portion uses Lagoon Trail. I have been told Lagoon Trail is difficult and rarely used. Has anyone ridden it in the last year or two?

Thanks.

John
  12. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure which track is the Lagoon Trail. Here is a topo of the section between the Rubicon and I-80. The PCT is the yellow and green squigle to the right of the map. The route we're taking up through French Meadow is the blue and red up the middle.

I'm curious about where the Lagoon Trail is?

R-dubb

[​IMG]
  13. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    I don't think there are any spots that will cause us to detour for supplies, but if you guys would like to rendezvous at a pretty cool spot, we might pick the Grizzly Peak Lookout. Cpt. Ron posted some cool photos from up there last summer. In addition to coming in from 89, the forest map shows a road in from the south. From Big Bend on FS11 then north on 39N06 to the lookout. We should be there either on Thursday July 8th or Friday July 9th if all goes well.

R-dubb

[​IMG]
  14. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    I pre-ran the section in the French Meadows and Hell Hole area on Saturday. I didn't have time to go all the way to Soda Springs, however. I'm working on downloading the pics and notes later today/tonight. The area is easy riding, with some spectacular views and excellent camping possibilities.
  15. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Can you believe that this trip is only 2 1/2 weeks away!!!! :eek1
  16. Saddletramp

Saddletramp a

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

There should be a photo here of the trail at Ollalie Lake, Or. That's north of Sisters and west of Warm Springs Indian Reservation. I tried to get you through the res but that's a no-go so think you will probably need to go State Route 22 north to Detroit Lake (food fuel etc.), then north on Forest Road #46 about 12 miles to Skyline Road, which is FR #4220 (at forest boundary). Take a right and go about 15 miles to Olallie Lake. Then continue north on FR #4220. At the T, turn right onto FR#42. Then at Timothy Lake take FR #58 to Hwy 26. Go to Timberline Lodge for coffee (the trail is just uphill from the lodge) then west on Hwy 26 to Zig Zag, then NE on FR #18 over Lolo Pass into Hood River. Send me your snail mail address and I will send more info, including Forest Service maps for Mt. Hood National Forest, Willamette Forest, Gifford Pinchot Forest, and Okanogan Forest and info on "Saddletramp's Rescue Service" :-) (based in Portland--pickup truck, food and help for ADV riders).

Saddletramp
  17. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Took off this last Saturday morning with my son and a buddy of mine (CrazyRider) on his KTM625.
  18. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    And here's BryceBug (typical 5 yo.):
  19. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Here's the intersection of Forest Service Roads 2 and 21, looking north. Notice that it is labled a different number. However, the other sign is located just behind Jerry's head. The intersection is not labled otherwise, and is noticeable because of the cattle corral on the northeast corner:
  20. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    This first section, going north is paved and very nice. It's about 1-1/2 lanes wide, with trees and shrubs right up to the edge. BryceBug was quite the trooper, and he rode quite well. He was really impressed with Jerry's wheelies.