The Pacific Crest Quest

Discussion in 'Americas' started by R-dubb, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    And interesting spot to check out in this area is Bear Spring. The intersection isn't marked well, but looks like this:
  2. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    The spring is gorgeous looking, and screamed out as a picture opportunity. Don't tell mom......
  3. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Boys will be boys
  4. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Finally, the road turns to dirt. There is another road that goes to the east, but you want to keep going north. Here's Jerry playing around the road marker:
  5. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    The trail north looks like this:
  6. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Here's the Cpt and his boy:
  7. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Somehow, Jerry's foot slipped as he was stopped, and he just tipped over. Quite funny actually. Though I don't think Bryce thought it was as funny as I did, he was actually concerned.
  8. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Once you see these power lines, you're not too far from Hell Hole Reservoir:
  9. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    And here's the view of Hell Hole Reservoir:
  10. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    When you hit the asphalt again, you turn right towards Hell Hole Reservoir. Just up the road is Big Meadows Campground. On a Saturday afternoon, only about 10 spots out of 55 were occupied. And, it looks like a nice place. A little further east, is a Forest Service Station. Just past that is the left hand turn you want to go to French Meadows Reservoir (FS road 24). The road looks like this:
  11. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    And eventually, this turns to dirt again:
  12. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    The ridge heading to French Meadows provides some wonderful views of the reservoir, and even primitive camping if you desire. From here, it's all downhill to Forest Service Road 96. At the bottom, turn right to follow the reservoir and cross over the middle fork of the American River. Just past the bridge, the road turns to dirt again. A fabulous campground (Ahat) is just ahead on the right, and sits on the edge of the river. Highly recommended over French Meadows Campground on the shore of the lake. Continuing northeast, you come to an intersection that is well labled to take you to Soda Springs:
  13. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    It was after this point, however, that BryceBug decided 40 miles of riding was enough for him. He was tired. So be it. But, instead of following Mosquito Ridge Road back to Foresthill, I decided to drive the truck along the propose route to get back to the Foresthill Divide. Off we go:
  14. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    This road gets steep and twisty. But the views are wonderful, and the road is in decent condition, even for my little Ranger. A couple of miles into this, you peak out at the intersection of the Tevis trail, which I plan to explore in the future. From here, it's only 1/2 mile or so to the next important intersection. Go north from here to Soda Springs, or go west to Foresthill. It's well labled, but BryceBug points you the way to go, just in case. Behind him, you can see the sign for the end of Forest Service Road 96, which comes from behind him. This is where it ends.
  15. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    So, all in all, this section is easily do-able on the bikes proposed for this trip. The next section, from the Foresthill Divide to Soda Springs is only 20-25 miles. My recollection is that there is a river crossing, but it isn't too bad, and there is some loose rocky sections. The stuff I did in my truck should be easily rideable by anyone on a 950 or GS. Hell, it better be, my truck is only two wheel drive. About 15 miles from Foresthill, BryceBug finally gave in. He didn't wake up until we hit the driveway at home.
  16. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    I have an .mps file that Jerry made hopefully from the intersection of FS roads 21 & 2 all the way to the Soda Springs intersection that we turned off on. I have no way to verify it's accuracy compared to my forest service map, however. He also gave a waypoint file.
  17. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Well... you may not be actually doing the PCQ, but I think you've ridden just about all of it over the last few months!!! :lol3 :nod :thumb

Thanks for all the work!!! :thumb :thumb

I owe you a:dutch the next time I see you!!
  18. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Well, depending on the timing, I'd like to try to meet you guys out for the camp when you're in my neck of the woods. I realize it's hard to coordinate dates and times, and I'm also not too sure of my work schedule. I'd really like to bring out some dead flesh to burn and some other refreshments. I might even have some homebrew leftover from the fourth that I'll need help in finishing off. My latest batch of IPA (Internet Posting Asshole) is kickass, even warm and flat.

In my adventures, I found a lot of places that I want to go back to see and camp some more, anyway. So, no matter what, it's been a blast for me already.
  19. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot Captain for all your documented efforts :thumb It's also nice to see pics of your kid on the bike!
    That would be wondeful :freaky We'll communicate an approximate schedule and contact you the days before arriving at the meeting point.
  20. Saddletramp

Saddletramp a

Oddometer:
    In post #236 I said to take FR 58. Think I'm wrong. Stay on FR 42 to hwy 26. Also at Lo Lo Pass you will cross the trail again.

Skyline Road near Timothy Lake, Or.

[​IMG]

Saddletramp