The Pacific Crest Quest

Discussion in 'Americas' started by R-dubb, Aug 18, 2003.

1. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    Howdy,
    I will be meeting with my friend that lives near this trail in washington, this goes by his farm ( black pine lake is very close), , he works the woods, has hiked, fire fight etc in this area, do you have a PDF, psd or eps or even jpg you could send me of these maps with your routes, I'll show him and get his opinion on the routes this sunday. odd thing is you can actually get closer to a lot of the PCT from the west side in the north part of the state.

Mr Cobb and I are going to scout this sometime this summer, the section south of there around I-90 can be improved. at onepoint that area was the best offroading on earth (roslyn coal piles) , most is gone soon to be golf courses. I would need advice crossing the cascades as you show, I have been very close but always needed to turn back due to gas range. it would surprise me if the were FS roads ( 2 track doing this ) to my limited knowledge the elusive cross over was rough ass single track. we were always trying to find it, a real bitch before the internet. some of the Washignton DS clubs shold be able to help.

After the trail is complete we need to beat on some canadians to pick up the trail and head north, I know of some trails that would extend several hundred miles north through a chunk of BC.

:1drink
  2. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    i do have some maps of this area just looking for the best way i can print yours out to show your route,
  3. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The maps you pulled up are .jpg's. You can print them straight from here or smugmug.

If you want to save them to your system. Right click the image and do "save as".

Good luck.

:dj
    R-dubb
  4. wesfnw

wesfnw portland,or

Oddometer:
  5. Saddletramp

Saddletramp a

Oddometer:
    Locals say this snow will be out by July 4. Hot up there this week.

[​IMG]

Saddletramp
  6. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    It's official. I have the week after 7/4/04 off from work. I will meet you all in the hills when you pass through my area to camp. I'll bring dinner, beverages, water, gas, oil, tools, and any spare parts that are needed. If there are any requests from the participants, please let me know. There's a BMW dealer and KTM dealer on my way, so can get stuff that they have in stock, if needed. I'll also have the capability to take a rider and bike out in case of real trouble.

Is the head count still eight riders? Any special dietary issues I need to worry about?
  7. MulletWhip

MulletWhip Bottom Feeder

Oddometer:
    Hi Capt. Ron,

I live in Healdsburg, and depending on work requirements, etc. I may be able to join you and help lug in some supplies. After reading so many reports from everyone on this site, I'd love to actually meet some of you.

Mike
  8. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    Cool baby.....

R-dubb
  9. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    MFP, the estimates I've been given say they'll be in my area (between Highway 50 and I80) in the neighborhood of 7/7/04. Campsite undetermined. I'm still working on the logistics on my end of hauling this stuff. I've been contemplating taking my XR to ride along for half a day, but space considerations might make that difficult. Plus, I'm no good as a rescue vehicle if I'm lost or broken out on the trail....
  10. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    I dunno Cpt. Ron... you're twice the rescue as most... even if you are lost and broken down on the trail!! :nod
  11. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:

But if I do get broken or lost, I don't have a sat phone to let you guys know where the food is. :cry
  12. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    That would be a real issue! :beer
  13. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
    picked up a new tire for the the Triumph today at All Season Sports. Steve has your tires ready.
  14. Saddletramp

Saddletramp a

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The gonzo route from the Little Naches to Hwy I-90 is out FS 19 to FS 1913 northwest over Green Pass, Stampede Pass and out at the Highway near Snoqaulmie Pass. These aren't really public roads (kind of log and power company) but with no < no trespassing > signs anymore. The locked gates that show on the Wenatchee Forest Map are either open , destroyed or look like they've not been shut in a long time. I went through yesterday with no trouble. It's about 40 miles that would take a couple of hours. Miles of clearcut but with some vast views. Bikes can get through easy, but no maintainance has been done this spring so little landslides will stop a car. Don't think you can get through from Greenwater-Lester to Stampeded Pass. Real serious gate north of Lester.

Saddletramp
  15. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    Paging Redmenace.....

Here is the route plane that we talked about. I know it's hard to read at this scale, but I'm trying not to suck up band width. The route we're now hoping to follow from Hood River north to US12 is something like this:

From Willard take Lost Creek Rd. (N)
    To FR-68 (NW) to Wind River
    Then FR-6801 (N) to Carson Guler Rd. (NE) to Goose Lake
    Then FR-6035 (NE) to FR24 & follow that to Big Mosquito Lake
    Take FR-8854 (E) to FR-8860 & on to FR-23
    Then FR-5601 (N) to Olallie Lake
    Then FR-56 (NE) to FR-21 (N) & on to US12

It's complicated, and there may be some closed roads along the way, but it looks like there are plenty of alternates if need be.

What do you think?

R-dubb

Attached Files:

16. RedMenace

Oddometer:
    you're right, it looks complicated. At first glance I would say very workable. I will look more closely and get back to you. Look at Bear Creek road towards Wind river out of Willard and the junction halfway across Bear Creek that goes up to Panther Creek.
    Also, just East of Goose Lake go up to Forlorn Lakes and North around Mosquito Lake-rougher road, prettier route, Little closer to the PCT perhaps.
    Some of the spur roads from 88 East may still have snow; if so 88 North to 90 will get you there. Don't have my map in front of me now, but I will look at it and get back to you.

17. RedMenace

Oddometer:
    OK, I checked the map- I have been on most of these roads(though not this year). What you call Lost Creek Road is FS 68 and I know it as Bear Creek road ( which is what it is at the West end, AKA 6808) This is a good ride and the gate should be open now.I haven't been on 6801- usually go on the next road over, FS65 which would be a good alternate if 6801 isn't open.
    Just East of Goose Lake is a 4 way intersection-go Left, up the hill on FS 6040This is a more challenging road than 6035 At the top of the ridge it passes thru a chain of small lakes(Forlorn Lakes) and hooks up with 6035, where you will go left and continue your route as you have it outlined. I have not been on 8854 but it looks good on paper. If you find a problem drop SE on 8851At the big tire junction goe nort(left) on 88, look for 8860. 8860 sometimes holds snow late in the season, but is a good road and keeps you close to the PCT. If it is impassable stay on 88 North to FS 90 where a right will get you to FS23 shortly. If yopu want to stay closer to the trail, instead of Ollalie Lake take 2329 past Takhlakh Lake; stay on 2329 going North all the way to where it ends at FS56. Go Right on 56 about 1 mile and then LefAWAY from Walupt lake on2160 about 1 1/2 miles where it ends at FS21. Take FS 21 all the way North to US 12. I did this route last fall and it was very nice. It is also higher than FS 23 so snow may still be an issue, but if it is clear it is by far the better route.
    I talked with Joel(he uses no last name) to see if he knew of a route North of 3 Corner Rock. My maps show about 2 miles of trail from the intersection at Rock Creek Rd to FS406. If it is negotiable by GS it would keep you closer to the trail than going through Willard. From it you could get on FS43 going East parallel to the PCT on into the Wind River Ranger Station at Stabler. Joel sounded interested in taking a look at it for you. If he does I will let you know what he finds out.
    VW

FS88 June, 1999

Attached Files:

18. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm.... maybe I should bring chains! :lol3
  19. Saddletramp

Saddletramp a

Oddometer:
    Some of the roads in the Gifford Pinchot Forest in southern Washington are closer to the PCT, but Mt St Helens is worth seeing still. Those roads go from Carson to Randle and are primarily FR25 and a spur to windy Ridge (FR99). Hope you are having a wonderful Advride.

[​IMG]

Saddletramp
  20. Saddletramp

Saddletramp a

Oddometer: